SASS Wire Forum

Possible SCAM alert

I received a PM from "handofgod1" who joined the Wire this monday.  His message:

"Hello contact Gary in Kentucky he has Dillion 1050 for sale... garyhosmer.south@gmail.com"

A search of that email brings up multiple possible scams on WTB posts in the gun community.  Buyer beware.

Yup, he is a scammer. Last couple weeks he used a alias of berettagod1. Uses emails of cokerbaresa@gmail.com and icegait@hughes.net and evelynayeni65@gmail.com and phone number of 859-414-0611. Goes by the name of Martinez Sandje with a Kentucky driver license.  I reported him to moderator last week.

This is a repeat scammer who has appeared under other names, contacting our members by PM, or e-mail if you have posted yours.   If you get unsolicited PMs from non-members with offers to sell, please hit the "Report Post" in the upper right of the post.

Eli

This is just another reason to NEVER post your E-mail address or phone number on any public website. At least on the SASS website there is a buffer between real name and E-mail addresses. The bad guy cannot know either unless you provide it for him.

53 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

This is just another reason to NEVER post your E-mail address or phone number on any public website. At least on the SASS website there is a buffer between real name and E-mail addresses. The bad guy cannot know either unless you provide it for him.

Mine came in as a PM on this fourm!

23 minutes ago, Mudflat Mike, SASS #20904 said:

That's how most of the contact has been made.  They register as a guest and then start spamming folks on the Classified, especially those who post a WTB, offering whatever that person was looking for.

4 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

Good point but unfortunately people post that information quite often in their responses to someone on the classifieds. It just opens the door for this stuff to happen to them.

3 hours ago, Mudflat Mike, SASS #20904 said:

That's the buffer. Check your E-mail, bet it's there also. Remember that the scammers get E-mail addresses and phone numbers by the millions from sites just like this. If they're not trying to scam you, they're trying to spam you. Just like when "they" want you to text XYZ to a # of some kind to get some kind of discount, special offer or etc......they just want to sell your info.

Ask him if he'll trade a bridge for the 1050

2 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

Good point but unfortunately people post that information quite often in their responses to someone on the classifieds. It just opens the door for this stuff to happen to them.

That the point Yul. I know that you know that. Some might not. If one wants to communicate with someone here that you don't know, send your info in a PM. It's much safer that way.

It is sad, but this is the world in which we live.

I was looking for an enclosed trailer to leave at our range where we could store our targets, etc.  Boy, was I surprised at all of the scams coming on Craig's List with all sorts of trailers.  After awhile their stories start to sound very familiar.  If it is too good, it probably a scam.

I finally drove 3 1/2 hours to buy a used trailer from a Boy Scout Troop.  It benefited them and we will definitely will use it at our range.

1 hour ago, Lone Rider, SASS# 73063 said:

It is sad, but this is the world in which we live.

I was looking for an enclosed trailer to leave at our range where we could store our targets, etc.  Boy, was I surprised at all of the scams coming on Craig's List with all sorts of trailers.  After awhile their stories start to sound very familiar.  If it is too good, it probably a scam.

I finally drove 3 1/2 hours to buy a used trailer from a Boy Scout Troop.  It benefited them and we will definitely will use it at our range.

A good friend of mine's mother and father in law, Richard and Karla Van Dusen, were murdered when they tried to sell their truck on Craig's List. Some guy named William Deparvine arranged to meet them in rural Tampa and shot them dead. He forged a bill of sale and tried to pin the murders on someone else. He got caught of course. This is years ago now but it still affects him like the day it happened even though he is divorced from the victim's daughter. It is way past a sad world that we live in, people would rather take someone's life or money because it's easier than having to work for an honest living.

Archived