SASS Wire Forum

Fingerprint questions

Alpo

#1: do the various places that would have your fingerprints share? According to TV shows they do, but a whole lot of stuff on TV is nonsense.

Florida has my prints. If I burgled a store in Miami, I can see them saying AHA, ALPO DONE IT!!

But if I burgled a store in Dothan, or Phoenix, or Jackson Hole, would they be able to compare my prints to something?

#2: as I said, Florida has my prints. So does the FAA and the ATF. If a suspected criminal had been in my house, and they wish to take his fingerprints from my house, so they told me they also needed my fingerprints (so they would know to ignore them), if I told them that I was already in the system, would they be satisfied with that or would they require me to be printed again?

For the cops reading this question, would YOUR DEPARTMENT be satisfied, or would they require me to be reprinted?

I am not a cop, but I can see how taking your fingerprints would be a lot more convenient for all concerned.

Duffield

Look up IAFIS on google.  Answer to question #2, you could possibly be asked for a new set of prints.  Due to amputations, scars, chemical burns, etc., you prints are subject to change.  If you apply for a security clearance and are granted one today, you may have to resubmit your prints in the future for renewing your clearance.

1 hour ago, Duffield, SASS #23454 said:

I am not a cop, but I can see how taking your fingerprints would be a lot more convenient for all concerned.

Duffield

It would seem like it, if they would be comparing the prints by hand. But since they would be comparing them by computer, my new prints would have to be entered into the system anyhow, wouldn't they?

The Marshall has a point though - about damage over time.

When you purchase a NFA item, you have to send in two forms and two photographs. This is because they stick one photograph on one form and put it in their files, and put the other photograph and a tax stamp on the other form and ship it back to you. You also need fingerprints. So my first machine gun, I get the two pictures, then diddy bop down to the Sheriff's Office with my two forms to get the CLEO sign off. While I was there I got fingerprinted. 3 days later they call me and tell me that my forms are ready to pick up, and I go get them and take them and the photographs and the fingerprint card to my gun pusher. He informs me I need two fingerprint cards. Why? Who knows - government. So the next day I go back to the Sheriff's Office, after work, to get printed again. But during that four day period between the first and second card I had managed to slice the hell out of one of my fingertips. On my new print card my right middle finger had a blank space in the print about 1/16 of an inch wide. The deputy taking the prints wrote on the bottom of the card that there was a scar on the finger which showed up on the print.

I've often wondered what they thought about that, at ATF, since only one of the two fingerprint cards had that white space in the print.

When I was doing the crime scene thing we would always take a set of elimination prints from the victim(s).  That's if I recovered any prints on the scene.  No point in elimination prints if there's nothing to compare them to.

I don't know for sure and for certain, but I was always under the impression the elimination prints were pitched after they were no longer needed.  I don't believe they were entered into any computerized system.  I do know the guys that actually compared the prints for identification always wanted a fresh set of elimination prints even if the same victim had supplied prints for another case a week before.  Elimination prints were also put on a different type print card than suspect prints.

As always, different departments have different policies.

Angus

#1 The IAFIS system would be used, and that would depend on the experience of the operator and just plain luck. Might get a hit in 1 hour or it may take a very long time.

#2 Elimination prints are always the best. Obtaining prints from another department will take a very long time and paperwork. The I.D. unit wants to work your case as soon as they get it. If no elimination prints put on the back burner with the idea you don't really care about your case to help out. Those elimination prints are only kept with the case file and go no where else. Waste of time. Sometimes other prints taken by the same department were by another I.D. person who took louse prints and may not be worth using for elimination. So if you feel your rights are being violated by giving the elimination prints, go ahead, but I am more than certain the case will never be solved through the I.D. unit unless a suspect confesses and his prints are used for comparison. But it will be on the back burner, no assistance from the victim. 

Elimination prints may also include palms and edge prints that are not included on standard print cards.  Also, always a possibility that due to injury prints have changed or been eliminated.

Howdy,

I just read that some computer types are NOT using the fingerprint option

of opening their smartphones because they don't know how far and wide that

fingerprint goes.

Big brother again.

Best

CR

43 minutes ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

Lots of agencies have my fingerprints;   USMC, Law Enforcement employment, Concealed weapons permit, Class III tax stamp etc.    But I am not giving up my DNA without a court order.

Do not sink ve do not haff your DNA already.

Archived