SASS Wire Forum

Not Ordinary Flavor Combinations

Calamity Kris

So as to not hijack the Pumpkin Spiced Spam thread..........

Would you try different flavor combinations if they were offered to you?  I don't mean chili peppers with chocolate, just combinations you don't normally see.

I baked some cupcakes for a Halloween gathering at work.  To keep the colors of the icing with the season, I made the orange colored icing tangerine flavor, the bright green icing green apple flavor and the brown icing was coffee flavor.  I put the orange icing and some of the brown icing on chocolate cupcakes, and the bright green and remaining brown icing on vanilla cupcakes.  They weren't as popular as they had been in years past, with other people. 

Would you try something that different or should I stick with pedestrian?  (My other thought for the bright green was key lime.  Maybe I should have done that instead.)

Ask some of the people you trust to give you an honest opinion what they did and did not like? Me I would try them but if I didn't like a particular flavor or combination I wouldn't say anything to the host unless he/she asked my my opinion and I knew they wanted an honest opinion.

I love apples but don't care for most things that have apple flavoring especially green apple. I also love pineapple especially when cooked and added to pizza, burgers, and chicken dishes. However I do not like pineapple flavored candies.

Combining different sweet flavors is very tricky. 

They didn't like home made cupcakes of any variety?
Cads, bounders, blaggards, rascals, scoundrels!
Bacon-fed caterpillars!

Whoreson knaves!

Not liking home made cupcakes?

Peasants!

Rapscallions!

Try a spoonful of Jiff peanut butter slightly dished to hold a splash of Cholula hot sause.

Deeeeeelicious!

How's that for an unordinary flavor combo?

Just now, Dantankerous said:

Try a spoonful of Jiff peanut butter slightly dished to hold a splash of Cholula hot sause.

Deeeeeelicious!

How's that for an unordinary flavor combo?

Good.   Something a little fatty with something a little spicy is awesome. The fat suppresses many senses until you swallow then the spicy kicks in.

If no one ever tried peanut butter and chocolate we wouldn't have REESE'S Peanut butter cups!!! ;)

My oldest granddaughter and her new husband will not eat anything but unseasoned bland food. I’ve given up trying to guess what they’ll eat this time around when they visit so I fix the bbq the way I like it and nearly everyone else does too. If they don’t want what I prepare they can bring their own food. The husbands mother is an excellent gourmet cook and when she hosts dinner those two will usually just sit there and pout about the food having flavor while the rest of us enjoy the food. 

1 minute ago, Yul Lose said:

My oldest granddaughter and her new husband will not eat anything but unseasoned bland food. I’ve given up trying to guess what they’ll eat this time around when they visit so I fix the bbq the way I like it and nearly everyone else does too. If they don’t want what I prepare they can bring their own food. The husbands mother is an excellent gourmet cook and when she hosts dinner those two will usually just sit there and pout about the food having flavor while the rest of us enjoy the food. 

Yeah, I don’t worry about what my older daughter will eat. She is such a fuss.

I'm not into bland food, but I guess most people would consider me a pretty particular eater.  I like what I like, and I don't like what I consider "surprises" in a recipe.  Some cooks like to add their own particular touch, or change, to traditional recipes, and that normally does me in.  For instance--I was having breakfast out with friends on weekend, and when the plates came all was good except the hash browns.  The cook had added cilantro to them.  I tried it, didn't like it, and so I left them sit and finished the rest of the meal.  When the waitress came to clear, she assumed that I was not done because I had a plate full of hash browns.  I told her I was done, and in a show of good waitstaff attentiveness, she asked if I was dissatisfied with the meal having left so much on my plate.  I replied that the meal was fine, I just didn't care for the way the hash browns tasted.  She made a big deal out of it, to the point that the manager comped my meal, even though I protested and said there was no need for them to do that.  That's the way they make it, I was unaware of it, and it was no fault of theirs that I didn't like it.  Everyone else at the table thought it was fine.  I finally gave up, and thanked them for their graciousness.

I realize I have what some consider basic tastes, but I don't  complain about what others do to food.  And I don't ever expect anyone to make me any special dishes because I don't like their tastes.  I know where we keep the peanut butter and the bread--I'm not gonna starve. 

As to Kris's question, I would probably ask to sample the icing--I would feel bad wasting a whole cupcake after one bite, but if I didn't like it I wouldn't finish it either.

Kris, I’d have had one of each.

I'd give them a try.

I have experimented with cayenne pepper in a lot of recipes.  I've found that it goes well with a lot of stuff, but not so much dairy based recipes.   

I'd try 'em for sure!   :)

I'm pretty open to new culinary experiences, but have had a couple of reservations:

First, Half-Breed Pete tried for years to get me to sample pickled jalapenos with peanut butter.  Nope.  Wouldn't do it.  Finally, my son said "Dad!  Ya GOTTA try this!"  I did and it was a winner.

The second was a "treat" that seems to be quite popular locally - and maybe elsewhere, as well.  Grilled corn-on-the-cob, smeared with mayonnaise then dusted with grated Parmesan cheese and chili powder.  Well, again, it took years of cajoling until I finally tried it.  Still wish I hadn't.  sick.gif

I would eat them.

Two tastes that taste great that I never would have expected:

Peanut butter/grape jelly sandwich with dill pickles in between.

Diced jalapeno pancakes with powdered sugar.

So after that your cupcakes sound normal.

I think part of the issue was the size of the gathering.  There were around 100 people there.  Unfortunately, most people brought side dishes or desserts.  By the time I got through the line, all that was left were buffalo wings, lots of chips and queso dip.  Some folks didn't even make it to the dessert table.  I brought two dozen cupcakes and left with 18.  A gal stopped by my desk and took a couple of green apple home but the rest are in the freezer, being consumed slowly by us.  Oh well.  We'll see what the next gathering holds.

Thanks for the inputs.

34 minutes ago, Calamity Kris said:

I think part of the issue was the size of the gathering.  There were around 100 people there.  Unfortunately, most people brought side dishes or desserts.  By the time I got through the line, all that was left were buffalo wings, lots of chips and queso dip.  Some folks didn't even make it to the dessert table.  I brought two dozen cupcakes and left with 18.  A gal stopped by my desk and took a couple of green apple home but the rest are in the freezer, being consumed slowly by us.  Oh well.  We'll see what the next gathering holds.

Thanks for the inputs.

Which is exactly why my mother-in-law said, "Life is too short, so eat desert first!"

4 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

I'd try 'em for sure!   :)

I'm pretty open to new culinary experiences, but have had a couple of reservations:

First, Half-Breed Pete tried for years to get me to sample pickled jalapenos with peanut butter.  Nope.  Wouldn't do it.  Finally, my son said "Dad!  Ya GOTTA try this!"  I did and it was a winner.

The second was a "treat" that seems to be quite popular locally - and maybe elsewhere, as well.  Grilled corn-on-the-cob, smeared with mayonnaise then dusted with grated Parmesan cheese and chili powder.  Well, again, it took years of cajoling until I finally tried it.  Still wish I hadn't.  sick.gif

We’ve got one of those elote (grilled corn on the cob) stands that is open Thursday thru Sunday just as you come into town. $12.00 for two grilled ears of corn with mayo, Parmesan and chili powder was a bit steep so we only did it once. When the place is open it’s always busy. I’ll grill my own.

Archived