SASS Wire Forum

Aging

Subdeacon Joe

Time for glasses.  I finally got a hearing aid and now when I go outside I hear birds chirping that I haven't heard for years.  I can actually go into a noisy environment and  hear every word the person is saying.  I used to watch TV with the sound at level 15, now I can hear it at level 8.  I now notice that when I push buttons or flick toggles, that they actually go click, I always thought they were silent before.  Modern science is great.

Yep...been there, done that, got a nifty magnifier that clips on my glasses. :D

Screw aging. I went fishing! ;)

I was amazed when I got my first glasses. Those big green things next to the highway are SIGNS! There's words and everything on them!

If hearing aids weren't so expensive I would have them too. 

10 minutes ago, Michigan Slim said:

I was amazed when I got my first glasses. Those big green things next to the highway are SIGNS! There's words and everything on them!

If hearing aids weren't so expensive I would have them too. 

I find I hear a lot of things with hearing aids that I really dont miss-the horrible crinkling sound of clear, hard plastic packing material puts me on edge. I do like to be able to see. Getting old aint for sissies

Imis

That exact situation lead me to get my first bifocals.  I was attempting to tie a new size 18 fly on a 6x tippet and couldn’t do it!  Dang.

Bifocals at 40 and hearing aids at 60. My shoulders sound like a Colt action, 4 clicks, sometimes sound in need of an action job (crunchy). Recently retired, so there are some benefits.

TRR was doing some stage building maintenance.

last year this time I was deep in the middle of the work crew

this year, with the heat, I'm just a bystander.  I can still run the riding lawnmower but that's about it.

5 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

That exact situation lead me to get my first bifocals.  I was attempting to tie a new size 18 fly on a 6x tippet and couldn’t do it!  Dang.

Same here. Two and four pound test fishing line was my nemesis. Then I discovered progressive lenses. Then one day in Oregon I discovered the progressive lenses did not cut it on 4 pound line so I bought a clip-on flip down magnifier and that really helped. 

I think I got mine at Harbor Freight but Amazon has them.

Here it is:

https://www.amazon.com/16-5X-Jewelers-Magnifying-Crafts-Sewing/dp/B01FT3KC1O/ref=asc_df_B01FT3KC1O/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198079747122&hvpos=1o7&hvnetw=g&hvrand=7975012155977117080&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9031032&hvtargid=pla-319150797054&psc=1

1 hour ago, punxsutawneypete said:

Yeah, but it beats the alternative!

Yes...IF you are relatively healthy and your mind is at least as clear as when you were 20 years younger!  (I still can't walk and chew gum at the same time! For that matter, my tooth crowns don't appreciate the gum! :( )

My mama always said she didn't mind getting old but she did mind getting slowed down.  That's the way I  see it.

And somebody pleeeeeeeeeeeze tell Petey about those hearing aids.

Archived