Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tyrel Cody

Smokeless Cowboy 45 Special

Recommended Posts

Clay's or  BP Seems to work best for me, but curious if anyone has tried Clean Shot or Sport Pistol in a Cwby 45 spl.

 

Y'all feel free to list anything else that works good in this round.

 

 

 

P.S. Anyone else notice the Wire is slow...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been using 3.0 grains of trail boss with a 200 grain rnfp bullet. But I am using them in a derringer. But a friend gave me that load and is what he uses in his revolvers

And yes...the wire is terribly slow. Seemed like it was fixed for a while...but worse now than before

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used 3.3 grains of Tite Group and a 160 grain bullet it makes a power factor of 64. Tite Group meters very well. I also used a RCBS 45 auto roll crimp  die that RCBS reworkes to make a very nice roll crimp.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Red Dot, 700x, Clay Dot, all work well in C45S. Loads are similar to Clays but check published load data. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Ripsaw said:

Red Dot, 700x, Clay Dot, all work well in C45S. Loads are similar to Clays but check published load data. 

 

I know we can use 45ACP/46AR, 

but there is no published data for C45S.

I don't remember seeing anything for 700X, which is my favorite for 44-40 now that they don't make SR 4756.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

 

I know we can use 45ACP/46AR, 

but there is no published data for C45S.

I don't remember seeing anything for 700X, which is my favorite for 44-40 now that they don't make SR 4756.

 

 

Duh. you are correct of course, just force of habit to refer to published load data.  They all load similar to Clays. You'd have to do your own load development to find something you like. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use 3.9 grains of Trail Boss and a 160 bullet. Makes it easy on my arthritis.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Hi Tyrel,

 

When I still shot that Heathen Fad Smokeless stuff, I really liked TightGroup.  Between 4 and 4.5Gr TightGroup with either a 160/165 Gr RNFP and I like a Magnum Primer with reduced loads.  I've gotten all my starting loads from Hodgdon for the the 45 Auto Rim.  Same same case capacity as the C45S.  I use the same load with the 130Gr custom Barnstormer.

 

Mostly though, I load 3f APP  :rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I run WST and a TC bullet at 175 grains.    Accurate and very clean.   Needs tight crimp though to burn clean.

 

Good luck, GJ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had been using 3.0gr Bullseye w/ 160s (64pf) but just started using 180s (72pf) so I didn't have to stock two different size bullets. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a 12 pound keg of 4756 in Oklahoma of anyone is interested.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TYREL,

 

Indeed, Clean Shot is a VERY good powder for the C45S, especially when using the 160 grainer.

 

Here are my Chronograph results, using my 3.5" barrel Vaquero's.

All velocities listed are the average of 10 shots.    

ALL bullets were 160 grain.

 

Clean Shot  4.6 gr.     640 fps

 

Clean Shot  4.8 gr.     677 fps

 

Clean Shot  5.0 gr.      713 fps

 

Here is the actual comment I also noted in my notes:

 

"All loads had some minor powder residue.   No obvious pressure signs.

All cases extracted well.   Many of the cases freely fell out.

Cases were clean and showed little or no burn marks.

Favorite load:   4.6 grains

Clean shot meters great."

 

Call me if ya got any questions:  865 / 696-1996

 

..........Widder

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/21/2019 at 8:10 AM, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

TYREL,

 

Indeed, Clean Shot is a VERY good powder for the C45S, especially when using the 160 grainer.

 

Here are my Chronograph results, using my 3.5" barrel Vaquero's.

All velocities listed are the average of 10 shots.    

ALL bullets were 160 grain.

 

Clean Shot  4.6 gr.     640 fps

 

Clean Shot  4.8 gr.     677 fps

 

Clean Shot  5.0 gr.      713 fps

 

Here is the actual comment I also noted in my notes:

 

"All loads had some minor powder residue.   No obvious pressure signs.

All cases extracted well.   Many of the cases freely fell out.

Cases were clean and showed little or no burn marks.

Favorite load:   4.6 grains

Clean shot meters great."

 

Call me if ya got any questions:  865 / 696-1996

 

..........Widder

 

 

 

Just follow up. Great powder. I got very close to the same results as you.

 

Details:

  • Pact MKIV XP Chrono 
  • 4  3/4" USFA Rodeo
  • 160 gr .45 Hi-Tek Bullets by Scarlett :wub:  
  • Shooter's World Clean Shot powder

Velocities averaged over 10 shots

 

4.0gr 525fps

4.6gr 647fps

4.8gr 680fps  

 

 

I did not go up to 5.0gr, but I did go down to 4.0gr. There were a couple that dipped below 500fps at that weight and there was unburned powder. Good powder that I like better than Clays; I'll be getting more soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been loading 4.0 gr of Trail Boss with 200 gr bullet.  Recoil is about the same as .38 special.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

I've been loading 4.0 gr of Trail Boss with 200 gr bullet.  Recoil is about the same as .38 special.

 

Is that in a .45 Colt?  Do you worry about squibs with that amount of powder?  I'm asking because I just loaded 5.0 gr. of TB with 200 gr RNFP but was leery about going lower.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Tequila Chase said:

 

Is that in a .45 Colt?  Do you worry about squibs with that amount of powder?  I'm asking because I just loaded 5.0 gr. of TB with 200 gr RNFP but was leery about going lower.

45 Cowboy Special is the same size as a 45ACP but w/ a rim. Here is a photo of 45 Colt beside 45 Cowboy Special ...

45special.jpg.ea73c60ff0eb61c2396ba7401ef6aeec.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sorry I didn't realize he was talking about the Cowboy Special round.  I'm nervous about getting below 5.0 gr.  I don't want to get a squib, I'd rather deal with a little more recoil.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Tequila Chase said:

I'm sorry I didn't realize he was talking about the Cowboy Special round.  I'm nervous about getting below 5.0 gr.  I don't want to get a squib, I'd rather deal with a little more recoil.

Figured that was what you were thinking ... don't blame you. 

But ... (IMHO) these things are pretty cool in revolvers ... Every time I used to push the limits (low limits) for the regular 45 Colts in the revolvers I would pay ...  

These guys seem to stay consistent/reliable even w/ lightly loaded. Makes 45 caliber revolvers "really" viable if that's what you already have.

The first time I tried them I laughed and had to sit down ... :lol:   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Patagonia Pete said:

Figured that was what you were thinking ... don't blame you. 

But ... (IMHO) these things are pretty cool in revolvers ... Every time I used to push the limits (low limits) for the regular 45 Colts in the revolvers I would pay ...  

These guys seem to stay consistent/reliable even w/ lightly loaded. Makes 45 caliber revolvers "really" viable if that's what you already have.

The first time I tried them I laughed and had to sit down ... :lol:   

 

I thought about using them but then I'd have to load and carry different rounds for pistol and rifle.  Not only am I slightly lazy, I don't trust myself to make sure that I have enough for an extended shoot.  Think I'll just stick with the LC and be happy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Tequila Chase said:

I'm sorry I didn't realize he was talking about the Cowboy Special round.  I'm nervous about getting below 5.0 gr.  I don't want to get a squib, I'd rather deal with a little more recoil.

Try 4.5gr of TB under a 200gr in the full size colt case. I actually got down to 4.0 grains but it got inconsistent.

 

When you are trying to find the floor of load, do 5 rounds in .2gr intervals down from your starting load. By going down .2 you won't go from great to a squib, instead as you go down you will run in to inconsistent ignition, backed out primers, and keyholing bullets (indicating unstabalized bullets). Once you start seeing any of the 3 you have found the floor.

 

For me the floor was 4.0 grains of TB, it got inconsistent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Tequila Chase said:

 

I thought about using them but then I'd have to load and carry different rounds for pistol and rifle.  Not only am I slightly lazy, I don't trust myself to make sure that I have enough for an extended shoot.  Think I'll just stick with the LC and be happy.

If you shoot an 1860, 1866, or 1873 rifle you can get a special carrier and shoot Cby 44 Spl in them too.

 

I shoot 44-40 in rifle and Cby 45s in revolver or 44 Russian Open Tops :D

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, El Cubano said:

Try 4.5gr of TB under a 200gr in the full size colt case. I actually got down to 4.0 grains but it got inconsistent.

 

When you are trying to find the floor of load, do 5 rounds in .2gr intervals down from your starting load. By going down .2 you won't go from great to a squib, instead as you go down you will run in to inconsistent ignition, backed out primers, and keyholing bullets (indicating unstabalized bullets). Once you start seeing any of the 3 you have found the floor.

 

For me the floor was 4.0 grains of TB, it got inconsistent.

 

I started with 5.5 gr of TB but it's a trip to get to the range so I try to get input to help eliminate some to the trips.  I'm down to 5 gr and everything shot good but I may bring it down just a hair more.  Thanks for the input!  B)

 

 

 

 

 

1 hour ago, Tyrel Cody said:

If you shoot an 1860, 1866, or 1873 rifle you can get a special carrier and shoot Cby 44 Spl in them too.

 

I shoot 44-40 in rifle and Cby 45s in revolver or 44 Russian Open Tops :D

 

 

Haven't seen one of those, who sells them?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a trip for me too, that's why I basically bring 100 rounds of 10 different loads when I'm doing development. 

 

I also should mention, don't stay at the floor load once found, things like temperature, humidity, even powder position can affect the load so you want some buffer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/23/2019 at 5:25 PM, Tyrel Cody said:

 

 

Just follow up. Great powder. I got very close to the same results as you.

 

Details:

  • Pact MKIV XP Chrono 
  • 4  3/4" USFA Rodeo
  • 160 gr .45 Hi-Tek Bullets by Scarlett :wub:  
  • Shooter's World Clean Shot powder

Velocities averaged over 10 shots

 

4.0gr 525fps

4.6gr 647fps

4.8gr 680fps  

 

 

I did not go up to 5.0gr, but I did go down to 4.0gr. There were a couple that dipped below 500fps at that weight and there was unburned powder. Good powder that I like better than Clays; I'll be getting more soon.

Awww, Tyrel... you make me smile! :wub: I’ve got lots of Clean Shot! I’m gonna see Dixie and Reno in Georgia if you want me to send some home with them! 

 

Glad you like the Clean Shot!  

 

Big hugs!

Scarlett

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Scarlett said:

Awww, Tyrel... you make me smile! :wub: I’ve got lots of Clean Shot! I’m gonna see Dixie and Reno in Georgia if you want me to send some home with them! 

 

Glad you like the Clean Shot!  

 

Big hugs!

Scarlett

Thanks, but I've got quite a bit right now. I'll definitely be ready for powder/primers/bullets/hugs at TN State though :D

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.