SASS Wire Forum

Shooter problem or gun problem?

Sarge

I am going to give Gunfighter a try this year.  I have a new pair of stock short stroked Uberti Running Irons with the short hammers. I've gone through and cleaned up the rough edges and they feel pretty good.  Have been dry firing daily with snap caps in place.  The gun that I've dedicated to my left (weak) hand seems to glitch every once in awhile where it feels like the gun wants to start locking up before the hammer is all the way back.  I notice when this happens, the muzzle is slightly above level when I cock the gun.  If I drop the gun back to level, the gun is very smooth.  If I swap the gun to my right (strong) hand, the problem does not seem to occur with the same frequency, though it does still occur every so often.  Does not happen with the gun I've dedicated to my right hand.  Timing seems to b right, can't find any burrs anywhere.  Is it just me not quite having the gun properly aligned?  Gun problem?  Technique problem?  

Deleted.   I'll post later.

I certainly wouldn't start grinding until a fair amount of live fire practice and give those pistols a chance to get broken in.

For myself, I can generally trace any problem back to me, so that's where I look.  Just a total shot in the dark here, but can you observe, or video your practice so that you can see if there's any difference in your thumb stroke when the problem occurs?  Maybe not getting high enough on the hammer and pushing it to the side or something causing the path of your thumb to create a pause or bind.  Does the problem get worse as you get tired?

Just a thought.

Start by taking away each suspected problem (hands, guns, snap caps, positioning, etc.) You have already switched hands and it still happens (although less). Try keeping the muzzles below level and see if positioning has anything to do with it.  You have said that the other pistol doesn't do this (even in the left hand?). If the answer is no, then I would think it's something to do with WHAT you have in hand (gun+ snap caps). Try switching the snap caps in the guns. Does the problem move to the other gun? If yes, then it's the snap caps. If the problem stays in the "left" gun, it IS the gun and will need a further look. Methodically break down the problem and I think you'll find the answer. Best of luck.

As Flash and 45 Dragoon have already indicated the step Uberti in all their wisdom leaves on the recoil shield caused all sorts of binding for me. 

https://youtu.be/RrZ4Kkgkyu0

If you skip to about the 1min mark you will see what area we are talking about.  Snap caps seem to hang up worse than live ammo because the primer area tends to get a little high.

Uberti's do not have a recoil shield anymore. Check to see if hole for hammer is smooth. it is punched through and the edges may not be smoothed down. Also check the cylinder lock. Will have to take hammer out but sometimes the little angled nub is not engaging the lock enough every time and need to tweak the lock arms a bit.

you've already gone through them. meaning you've had them completely torn down and put back together. The key here to me is when the gun is slightly off level is when the problem happens. If it's not something as simple as it's binding up on the snap caps i'd say tear it back down and pay close attention when putting back together. I've had similar problems when working on my remingtons. Simple as a spring not quite centered/lined up exactly right. I recently had a trigger/bolt spring on a new gun not line up correctly when reassembling. Every time I eased the hammer down the cylinder would back spin slightly. The trigger spring wasnt catching right and would let the bolt/stop drop just enough to let the cylinder spin. I know it's not the same problem you're having but not having everything perfectly lined up can cause a few different issues.  Good luck and hope you figure it out.

Thanks for all the great ideas.  I probably have about 500 rounds through the gun.  Have not had a chance to get back out with the guns recently due to weather and a new job taking up a lot of time.  Weather permitting, hoping to put some rounds through it this weekend.  I do have some problems with my hands, a bit of arthritis in both, but the right hand as other and a lot worse problems than the left.  The thing that caught me was the positional aspect the the issue.

Yes sir, position sensitive is "key" to looking for certain known problems. One of the most common would be (from your description) the transition to the breech face. The video link provided by July Smith is an excellent visual and explanation of the problem.

You can test for this simply by pointing the muzzle straight up and rotating the cyl by hand. Watch the cartridge heads as they transition from the recoil shield to the breech face. Some of the rims with sharper edges may "snag" on the transition. Obviously, any downward angle from center would have the cartridges forward in their chambers which would, as you indicate, allow smooth cycling.

I think MB was referring to the recoil plate which Uberti's don't have but he brings up the possibility of a burr that the firing pin can raise as it passes through the frame. If that is the case, filing it down will correct the problem and it more than likely won't reoccur.

Mike

I found a very tiny burr at the bottom of the firing pin hole. I removed the burr and shot live ammo today.  Seemed fine.  Reloaded with snap caps and they seemed to be fine.  Have previously removed a burr from the same spot.  Hoping this is not going to be a recurring issue.

The burr may be caused by the firing pin bottoming in the hole before the hammer bottoms out , causing the hole to become enlarged on the bottom, making the burr. Just a thought.

6 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Good find!

How did the firing pin look?

OLG

The firing pin looked fine.  Did not appear to have any nicks or deformation.

2 hours ago, Springfield Slim SASS #24733 said:

The burr may be caused by the firing pin bottoming in the hole before the hammer bottoms out , causing the hole to become enlarged on the bottom, making the burr. Just a thought.

Agreed.  Have been using the snap caps to prevent it.

If you are using the red plastic snap caps with the spring mounted primer, it might still happen.

Archived