SASS Wire Forum

New future shooter (fingers crossed)

Godhand

Hello everyone, apologies for being so green. I got to watch an actual CAS match years ago. Loved it but couldn’t afford to get involved financially at the time. Needless to say my life is in order and I’m building my foundation to start up. I read the sass manual, and I’m just confused about one thing. I own a new vaquero in .357/38. I have another .357/38 on order. I’m working on the shotgun as far as finances. My wife in her endless support of my hobbies, went and got me an 1873 Winchester in .357/38.... I just want to be clear that when I do start shooting that I’ll only be able to shoot in the age categories and neither the classic cowboy or b-western categories. Or are there other categories I might be able to shoot in?Thank you all for your time in answering this question, sorry if it’s confusing or ill worded. 

Your good to go for Frontier Cartridge along with age based categories. 

If you want to go B Western in the future, just keep on the lookout for a legal rifle ( Marlin, Wini 92 etc.) ;)

Welcome to the dance .

Best advice i can give you.

1. Safety first 

2. Have fun 

3. Only compete with yourself  

Godhand,

If you are close to Bristol, Indiana come to a Wolff's Rowdy Rangers match.  I'll lone you a Stevens 311 to try and you can keep it until you get "the" shotgun you really want.

Do you reload?  If not be looking to start soon.  The money saved reloading metallic cartridges will go a long way to funding the shotgun.  Shooting FC pretty much requires shotgun reloading too so I would start CAS shooting smokeless powder.

Depending on clothes and holsters you’ll be able to shoot your aged based Category, B-Western, Gunfighter, Duelist or most of the Black Powder Categories. 

Welcome me to the most fun you can have with your clothes on. 

Randy

Where you at? 

A Stoeger is pretty cheap and reliable. Someone at the club you start at knows how to slick it up or you can do most of it yourself with the help of You Tube.

Spring kits for your pistols and rifle are cheap and easy to do yourself down the road too.

5 minutes ago, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

Depending on clothes and holsters you’ll be able to shoot your aged based Category, B-Western, Gunfighter, Duelist or most of the Black Powder Categories. 

Welcome me to the most fun you can have with your clothes on. 

Randy

1873 Winchester is a no go for B-Western.

if you're in the Houston area come out to TRR and I'll 'spot' you your first match +  have loaner guns to get you going.  (plus we shoot year round where there are places up north that have to shut down for the winter)

Welcome to the wire and keep questions coming

one great idea:  start attending SASS matches and bring what you have--pretty much all clubs can loan you what you need.  Also you can try out guns without having to invest in them.  

there is plenty of knowledgeable folks on the wire so keep those questions coming.

5a6f7612de843_CheyenneRanger-PosseMember.JPG.a172a713ac9eb5d112ebc9f4553f71b4.JPG.8857c0d31e3ecfa5268fa6f8021955e0.JPG

6 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

1873 Winchester is a no go for B-Western.

Thanks Tyrel, I was looking at this on my phone and wasn't paying close enough attention, could always pick up a '92 or a Marlin. A good excuse to buy another gun.:lol:

Randy

Welcome, Pardner!

Age-based categories are a good place to start, unless you are accustomed to holding a pistol in one hand. You can do that in age-based or the Duelist category. You could then go to Gunfighter, two pistols out at one time, if you desire and are physically able to do so.

It took me several years to find sufficient clothes and boots for B-Western I'm a, bargain hunter, at a multi-day annual. I already had a Marlin.

For your BW Marlin (or other rifle), you could get a .40 or greater caliber, then you will be on your way to shoot Wild Bunch and Classic Cowboy.

Enjoy yourself!

Allie Mo

3 minutes ago, MizPete said:

Not for a newbie.

That depends on the newbie.  I started gunfighter.  There is nothing wrong with it if you have the basic knowledge of guns

1 minute ago, evil dogooder said:

That depends on the newbie.

Right you are.  At our club, we needed to see double duelist first.  But that was the olden days.

Thank you all for the info and suggestions. I’m actually a city slicker out of NYC. Me and the wife work in law enforcement in the court system, and over next couple of months I’ll be moving up to rockland county. I’ve looked up a club up in Monroe, NY. Waiting till I’m a little closer to them after the potential move, it’s a possible 2 hour commute now vs 45 minutes to an hour once we get a house. Plus, reloading and such will be much more comfortable in a house vs my current apartment. Thank you all again.

Since you will shoot 38 Specials (good choice) and will reload, now would be a good time to shop for the Federal small pistol primers (Fed #100) favored by CAS shooters.  These are in short supply but occasionally become available.   The way when you get set up to load you will have some on hand.  Cast bullets and powder are readily available.  Once-fired 38 Special cases are frequently available online for about the cost of primers.  However, some prefer to buy unfired cases from Starline.

Archived