SASS Wire Forum

Stainless steel, zippers, belt loops, etc.

Juiceharp Jen

FWIW, we are on the border with British Columbia. Many non shooters join us for a session or so. They mostly enjoy shooting single action revolvers, lever rifles, doubles and 97s which we provide. Members come to shoot the same guns for fun and light hearted competition. Our main members are NRA bullseye competitors. That's our "hard assed" shooting competition.  ;)

Our costuming is relaxed, jeans, heavy boots and Stetsons are fine. That's no problem because, after all, we are in Idaho. I wear 1875 era Marine Corps uniforms. We aren't NCOWS but are cowboy and/or old military/storekeeper/gambler, etc. enough.

Word gets out OK. We also have Cowboy Fast Draw Association matches. We just have fun!!!

I have attended CAS, CFDA , BPCR and NRA bullseye matches from Saskatchawan to British Columbia and in Arizona,  Idaho, Illinois, Montana, New Mexico, Oregon, Washington, Wisconsin and Wyoming, including EOT and Winter Range. I have found my shooting friends to be universally good people. In the past, I shot PPC and action competition.

What I have found is SASS and CFDA competitors are quite different from the practitioners of the other venues in that they are far more attuned to having a good time than as a pure competition. Only SASS and CFDA have so much going on AFTER the shooting. That's surely an aspect of the sport that requires some serious reflection. Of all the shooting sports of my acquaintance, only SASS and CFDA really appeal to the ladies. That sure doesn't hurt the family and affordability.

Regarding expense, it is really nothing compared to sailboat racing, ice hockey, horse riding, car racing, etc. IMHO, SASS and CFDA  are sports really attuned to those in their forties and above.

Tht's my opinion and I'm sticking to it!!!   ;)

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got started by seeing some books about SASS at my local gun store. I asked the owner's son about them and he told me they shot near me. As a lifelong hunter/shooter and handgunner, I already had plenty of guns. I went to the next match and was hooked. Guns ,outfits and leather changed. I bought an RV and the rest is history. I NEVER EVER heard a word of marketing from SASS!!!  :mellow:

I have been a Sea Scout volunteer and an NRA instructor for decades. It made sense to me to bring kids with me to matches. For years, I always had one or more British Columbia teenaged boys and girls travel to SASS, CFDA and bullseye matches with me. I worked hard to get SASS events in our local Boy Scout council. That is currently very popular. Now that I am an octogenarian and am not in a position to safely take kids with me I talked others into those efforts.  . I interested my fellow bullseye shooters in coming to matches. They enjoyed them. THEY ARE MUCH MORE than pure competition events.

Yes, our marketing would be atrocious IF IT EXISTED!!!  :-) However, we can grow if we replicate ourselves. If each one of us regularly brings a new individual  or couple into the sport, we will at least hold our own. 

I just looked up the IPSC membership numbers. There were estimates of 25,000 to 50,000 and the folks over there were basically singing the same tune that is heard most here.

There were numerous comments to the effect of “Do we really need IPSC or USPSA?” and complaints about falling memberships and a lack of promotion/publicity.

Must be winter over there too!

I'm working on my club to get SASS/Cowboy re-established.  The concerns I get are pretty much what the thread from the non SASS group said.

1. I don't want to look silly
  2. The rules are stupid
  3. It's too expensive.

I think, as a group, we can address 1 and 2.  3 is what it is depending on how competitive one wants to be.  Go fast people will get the best stuff.  Getting in is not that bad.  State of the art doubles or triples the expense but the shooter makes that decision.

I tell all the new shooters that you play this game the way you want to.  If you go fast, go fast.  If you go smoky, go smoky.  If you want to look cowboy/cowgirl that's great.  If you want to wander out, shoot the match at your own pace, come out and join me.  The same timer runs on everybody and we all have a good time!

In my view, we need to be going after the segment that wants to beat me, Cowboy Junky and Miss Jewel, to name a few.  That's the younger shooters that will carry the sport forward.  And, we are a sport, that's why we have a timer.   I don't care that they look better or more cowboy than me, I want them to try to shoot faster than me.  This is a competitive sport.  We compete.  New shooters shouldn't look at our website or literature and think it's a costume contest.

NNV

Blackwater, I think you have some really good ideas and if we, as a SASS body, implement even some of them and work toward getting exposure on what we do out to the non-SASSers, we will go a long way in bringing in new cowboys.

I think there's to many different opinions being put out to perspective new shooter's.  I think some people give out the idea of what they want SASS to be and not what it is or could be.  Iv'e heard non SASS shooters say thing's like man by the time i get all the gun's and get the action work done, buy all the clothes,boot's,hat and leather, a cart the list goes on. Unless you have expendable income or no other responsibilities it's no wonder we aren't getting many younger shooter's.  I know what i have in my gun's and all my gear and that's been accumulated over time.  Hell i'd a crapped my britches too if someone told me i had to have all that before i could even shoot a monthly club match.  

47 minutes ago, Deadshot Dan said:

I think there's to many different opinions being put out to perspective new shooter's.  I think some people give out the idea of what they want SASS to be and not what it is or could be.  Iv'e heard non SASS shooters say thing's like man by the time i get all the gun's and get the action work done, buy all the clothes,boot's,hat and leather, a cart the list goes on. Unless you have expendable income or no other responsibilities it's no wonder we aren't getting many younger shooter's.  I know what i have in my gun's and all my gear and that's been accumulated over time.  Hell i'd a crapped my britches too if someone told me i had to have all that before i could even shoot a monthly club match.  

I originally put up a laugh on your post, thinking like you do about how much money I’ve spent after I first joined!!

Then I remembered your opening phrases.  I was fortunate enough, when I started, to have other shooters who advised me that I could get by with minimum clothing requirements and even borrowed items.  “Just show up with what you have and we’ll see that you get started right!” they said.

Whatever we do, we HAVE TO get this across in our opening contact and in whatever promotional direction we take!! As others before me have said, and I will repeat it again, if we fail to account for the expense involved and or fail to make our game attractive enough to justify spending that kind of money to new prospective participants, we will not attract the numbers that are needed to sustain healthy growth!

1 hour ago, Deadshot Dan said:

I wanted to race Motocross... Had to spend a hell of a lot before I could even run practice laps before my first Moto...so...

4 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

I wanted to race Motocross... Had to spend a hell of a lot before I could even run practice laps before my first Moto...so...

No doubt just about any hobby can be expensive.  My point was a new shooter shouldn't have to think they can't come and join in with us without having full blown race tuned guns and all gear that some of us enjoy and have collected through the years.  I would have liked to race moto cross too but i felt better with both wheels on the ground.

34 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

So someone or something made motocross attractive enough for you to spend the money for the machinery and gear to get started.

Having been there too, can guarantee that you still spent MORE money after those first practice laps to be competitive and stay competitive, or you decided that what you had made you happy, OR you decided motocross wasn’t for you! Maybe like me, someone loaned you that first bike !! Maybe someone let you borrow their helmet or other gear!!

BUT!!  Somebody probably gave ya’ some good advice or showed you how to do with less to begin with too!!

3 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Nope.

Wow!  .......just wow....

If any newbie with any idea of playing this FANTASY GAME were to read this thread for guidance, they would just walk away shaking their head.  It's no real wonder CAS/SASS is a dieing game.  Slowly choking itself to death.

1 hour ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Wow!  .......just wow....

Why?

Motorcycles were fun... Wanted to compete. Got my parents to buy the stuff... Went from there. Did the same thing on a grander scale with Jet skis only without parental help.

A lot more money than CAS.

Phantom

Oh, and while I was racing back in the early 90's, I also occasionally shot a pistol match near Lake Elsinore. I remember someone telling me about the newest and hottest shooting sports: Cowboy Action Shooting.

I said why would I want to dress up like a cowboy to shoot??? That sounds $@*!

Had nothing to do with money.

Phantom

CAS is one of the cheaper hobbies. I can sell my guns and get most of my money back. Try selling a worn out motocross bike or jet ski. When the new models come out the old ones are worth little. Kind of like DVD's replacing VHS tapes.

1 minute ago, Assassin said:

CAS is one of the cheaper hobbies. I can sell my guns and get most of my money back. Try selling a worn out motocross bike or jet ski. When the new models come out the old ones are worth little. Kind of like DVD's replacing VHS tapes.

Or a tournament bass boat....

1 hour ago, Tyrel Cody said:

So why did you start and why did you stay?

One of my teammates on my race team said they put a lot of lead down range...

Bought the the gear and started. 

I stayed because of the Wire....

I know the guy that bought Shirley Muldowney's old pink dragster. He paid $8k for it along with 3 Keith Black hemi's on engine stands. Bought it all for scrap.

Shirley probably had much more invested in her "hobby". 

2 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Why?

Motorcycles were fun... Wanted to compete. Got my parents to buy the stuff... Went from there. Did the same thing on a grander scale with Jet skis only without parental help.

A lot more money than CAS.

Phantom

My wow was in response to your having never received  any advice or support as a beginner.

Yeah.  With the exception of baseball, (my mom and dad bought my first glove, a bat, and once or twice a pair of spikes) every hobby or sport I've tried was on my own dime.  I was always able to find somebody to give me good advice.  Sometimes I was able to "get a ride", either by exchanging work or showing enough talent to get a little help!  Of course, that was years before CAS came into existence!  My first motocross ride was on a used, but competitive, Penton that belonged to a top local rider who figured if I had the testicular fortitude to ride it, he could use the team mate!  Later it was drag racing and NASCAR, back to drag racing and finally on to CAS.

What has to be remembered in my case is that I NEVER worked for minimum wage, but I worked all the time from age 14 until I retired at 60 due to disability. I was always able to woirk a little extra to afford my recreation, something most folks won't or can't do. (I also worked in and around the racing industry for a lot of those years!)

9 minutes ago, Assassin said:

I know the guy that bought Shirley Muldowney's old pink dragster. He paid $8k for it along with 3 Keith Black hemi's on engine stands. Bought it all for scrap.

Shirley probably had much more invested in her "hobby". 

Shirley had little invested. Connie Kalitta recognized her talent when she was getting started and spent  large money equipping and promoting her.  She moved on and obtained big sponsorship over the years!!  When you're good, you can do that, when you're lucky!!;)  SHE was both for a long time!!

Top rung NHRA competition is IMPOSSIBLE without heavy sponsorship.  The actual business of getting sponsorship is big big business!!

9 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Shirley had little invested. Connie Kalitta recognized her talent when she was getting started and spent  large money equipping and promoting her.  She moved on and obtained big sponsorship over the years!!  When you're good, you can do that, when you're lucky!!;)  SHE was both for a long time!!

Top rung NHRA competition is IMPOSSIBLE without heavy sponsorship.  The actual business of getting sponsorship is big big business!!

I'm just saying, hundreds of thousands spent and just a few thousand dollars after selling the assets. My Vaquero's, which I spent $300 a piece, I can sell for $600 each today. 

Absolutely right!!  That is one very positive aspect of our game!!  Something else that should be stressed when promoting it to new prospects!!!

10 hours ago, Texas Lizard said:

At your point in life are you sure that you want to try this??? 

Texas Lizard

Nope. Was going to get back into it 16 years ago once I retired from jetski racing. Decided that my body had enough abuse and ended up getting into SASS.

6 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Nope. Was going to get back into it 16 years ago once I retired from jetski racing. Decided that my body had enough abuse and ended up getting into SASS.

Smart move...You do pretty fair this game...Ha Ha...Have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year...

Texas Lizard

At least you moved up to 38s....

2 hours ago, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

THAT, I believe...is truth! Haha.   Merry Christmas

Rain, don't you think with that statement, Santa Claus may skip over Phantom tonight? :D

39 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

And merry Christmas to you Billy... See ya at EOT!

WHAT...no WR. Then EOT it will be. 

Merry Christmas to all.

Regarding expense and costume issues, the local club I visit has another type of match going on a different weekend that is rimfire steel target.  It’s a lot easier to get a buddy and his family to try that out than CAS.  Much less expense.  No costume requirement.  From there, it’s just a matter of time, especially when you keep posting CAS vids on Facebook.

3 hours ago, Billy Boots, # 20282 LTG-Regulator said:

WHAT...no WR. Then EOT it will be. 

Merry Christmas to all.

Had to pull out.

Moving store to Colorado and our first grandkid is having her first birthday party on the 22nd.

:(

I got my friend into wild bunch. I figure he's younger (23) so he doesn't have the funds to get into cowboy and is more interested in pump shotguns and semi auto pistols. My hope is as he gets older and gets exposed to more cowboy action, he might pick it up a get a pair of revolvers and get into CAS. 

Maybe using wild bunch as a "gateway drug" targeting the younger crowd is a way to draw more interest?

Archived