SASS Wire Forum

Our .22 Shooters

Let's share some pictures and stories of our .22 shooters: rifles and handguns.

This first one is my dad's .22 single-shot rifle that Mom gave for Christmas, 1946.  I was less than 3 months old.  Dad used that .22 to slaughter hogs and put cottontail rabbit on the table.  Mom made the very best fried cottontail.  Cottontail rabbit is still my favorite game meat.  Dad gave me his .22 on my 16th birthday.  It's still a tack driver and Lord knows how many cottontails I've bagged with Dad's .22.

Winchester Model 67 in .22 Short, Long, & Long Rifle

PTZuUe.jpg

MS6Yfq.jpg

MluIyI.jpg

No pictures, but I'm sure you know what a Ruger 10/22 looks like. My dad bought it for me one Christmas after I'd just turned 16. He also gave me 200 rounds of Remington Ammo. But he wasn't too amused when I went into the woods with it later that morning, and came back just a half hour later having shot it all up. Over the years I've burned literally tens of thousands of rounds through it. I've broken the front sight and cracked the bolt once, and the stock has been replaced three times, but it still keeps chugging away. I've never hunted, but tin cans quake with fear when they see it.

My first gun. 18th birthday present.

I asked for a bolt-action repeater, because I figgered I stood a better chance of getting one of them than I did what I really wanted - a 10/22.

Daddy apologized, saying that they had no bolts at the store, and he hoped I wasn't too disappointed.

I really liked (still do) this pump, but several months later I let it slip that what I'd really wanted was a 10/22.

He says, "I wish you'd told me that. They HAD them".

Remington 572.jpg

My first .22 was a Marlin 341.  Put Lyman sights on it and got as far as Expert in 50' Smallbore.   My favorite .22's now are older guns, the Winchester 67 (the perfect beginners gun), and Remington No. 4 Rolling Blocks when I can find them.  The most modern .22 I have is a late 70's Weatherby Mark XXII,  which I drooled over as a kid in my 1973 Shooters Bible.

2 hours ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

Let's share some pictures and stories of our .22 shooters: rifles and handguns.

This first one is my dad's .22 single-shot rifle that Mom gave for Christmas, 1946.  I was less than 3 months old.  Dad used that .22 to slaughter hogs and put cottontail rabbit on the table.  Mom made the very best fried cottontail.  Cottontail rabbit is still my favorite game meat.  Dad gave me his .22 on my 16th birthday.  It's still a tack driver and Lord knows how many cottontails I've bagged with Dad's .22.

Winchester Model 67 in .22 Short, Long, & Long Rifle

PTZuUe.jpg

MS6Yfq.jpg

MluIyI.jpg

I have one just like yours.

My dad had one also, and passed it on to my older brother.  Many years later it was stolen when his house was burglarized.  Many years after that I was at a friend's house and saw a Model 67 on a gun rack in a spare bedroom.  It had belonged to my friend's late husband.  Next time my brother came to town, I borrowed it and we went shooting.  He was grinning from ear to ear.

I took it home and thought no more about it.  Then, as the song goes, "one foggy Christmas Eve" she came over to our house for dinner.  She was carrying that 22 with a big red bow taped to the stock, and she gave it to me. 

First .22 was a Mossberg Model 320B (the Boy Scout rifle). I earned it by selling Christmas cards from an ad in Boy's Life magazine. Sent straight to my house back in the mid 60's. Lost it in a home robbery back in the early 80's. Had many .22's since. Earned 50ft NRA Smallbore Expert with a Ruger 77/22. Still have that one. Taught all three of my kids to shoot with a Chipmunk and a S&W 422. I have 8 different 10/22's some of which are at my kids homes. I have 5 Henry Golden Boy's sitting at home waiting for my grandkids to grow into them. Each Golden Boy has a serial number of the grandkid's initials and birthdate. Have a few other 22 rifles and pistols in the safe. We don't shoot them a lot right now except for an occasional groundhog that needs dispatched. I guess I'm waiting for the grandkids to grow up so I can shoot with them.

24 years ago, for my 50th birthday, my wife found this for me (with a little help) in a local pawnshop; Colt Diamondback.22 for those who don’t recognize the gun.

Pretty good investment, damn good wife!! :D .  48 years this June.

D1B95120-EB56-4E61-958A-4C0473542BD8.thumb.jpeg.8ded29d87c4a4540f8c54febf59c9a5f.jpeg

I shot my dad's marlin 39a until I got a Remington single shot which I cannot remember what happened with it. Also shot a really sweet single shot that my uncle brought home from WW2. After my uncle died my cousin stole it from my aunt and pawned it for drug money.  The picture is my current 22, a western field model 58 which is the same as a Savage model 7. The safety works opposite from other guns in that safe is forward. Consequently, when trying to make a quick shot at a rock squirrels in the garden I have have pushed the safety forward and repeatedly pulled the trigger. 

20180307_165844.jpg

I have a real affinity for 22s. Especially old 22s. I have collected everyone of the old marlin pumps, a marlin 1897; marlin 39. A couple of the old savage single shots, a couple military bolt action trainers. I also have some modern rifles and various others. Then there is my collection of handgun. SW 41, High Standard The Victor, and I could go on and on. Just can’t help myself when I see something I don’t have. I really want to get my hands on an old colt pump, but all I have seen are way to rich for my blood. 

I don’t think there are too many to like  I’m missing a few. I guess it’s time to get organized lol

6693E3F1-75E9-4A9B-AE55-947B41920B96.jpeg

6BF711F8-EA0E-49AA-A570-525D9732F0EA.jpeg

A person can never have too many 22 s.  My bed is getting lumpy because the safe is hard to shut the door. 

Rearranging the safe to make room for the new Ruger Montado 357 mag stainless that followed me home last weekend

Love my 22's.  For rifles, my  Winchester Model 52

manufactured in 1929 with a Lyman Supertarget Scope if I could only pick one, number two would be my 94-22 and number three my Winchester 74 with original Mossberg scope. My pistols in 22, I couldn't pick just one, but just for fun plinking , my Browning 1911. My favorite 22 pistols : Colt Peacemaker 22, Colt New Frontier 22. Colt Officers Match Target, Colt Woodsman Match Target.  A lot more 22's in the safe

P1000110.JPG

P1010229.JPG

I also have a Winchester model 52 heavy barrel. It’s one of my favorite to shoot. Real tack driver

so yes, I’m obsessed with 22s. You can’t get your youth back. But it’s fun to pretend. Why not keep the tools to do so. 

Alphabetically:

1. Marlin 100G - Single shot bolt action. Like the first rifle my father let me use.

2. Remington Nylon 12 - Bolt action. Collection.

3. Remington Nylon 66 - Seneca Green. Collection.

4. Remington Nylon 66 - Apache Black and Chrome. Collection.

5. Remington Nylon 66 - Black Diamond. Collection.

6. Remington Nylon 76 - Lever action. Collection.

7 Remington Nylon 77 - My second rifle purchased in 1970. Magazine fed. (Nylon 66 was first but I traded it off).

8. Ruger 10/22 - Neighbor found it in his trash can and gave it to me. Checked to see if stolen but was not.

9. Savage Model 72 - Falling block

10. S&W MP 15-22 - Bought for fun.

11. S&W Model 1, 2nd Issue - Manf'd 1860's. Collector piece

12. Stevens Visible (Miserable) Loader - Pump action

13. Winchester 1906 - Pump action. Previous owner obtained from antique shop as wall hanger. Did complete tear down and rifle was perfect. It is a tack driver.

12 hours ago, Charlie Plasters, SASS#60943 said:

The picture is my current 22, a western field model 58 which is the same as a Savage model 7. The safety works opposite from other guns in that safe is forward. Consequently, when trying to make a quick shot at a rock squirrels in the garden I have have pushed the safety forward and repeatedly pulled the trigger.

Funny how some gun designs apparently never went through any kind of function-test process. My first .22 was a Stevens 35 bolt action that also had the safety in a stupid spot, right in the path of the bolt as it was pulled back. I kept hitting it and putting it on safe every time I worked the bolt, which quickly became very annoying. I simply cut the $%&@! thumb tab off... who needs a safety anyway? <_<

I started out with a Winchester model 67, then graduated to a Remington model 512. 

When I returned from RVN in 1968 my grandmother gave me a Marlin model 99 with a Marlin 4X scope which is an excellent squirrel getter. 

About 20 years ago I bought a Remington 541S at a gunshow in Oklahoma City - what an accurate rifle it is!

I have enjoyed shooting all of these, but the last two are my favorites.

Duffield

Archived