SASS Wire Forum

Waking Up to the drip drip water

Texas Lizard

Just one small problem...It's not raining out side...Waiting for plumber to arrive and see how bad the damage it...So far just looking at ceiling repair and pipe...

Texas Lizard

Was hoping to sleep in a little longer this morning...

Problem all fixed...Hot shower time...

Same situation!  Different circumstance!!  :blink:

Woke up to the drip drip drip!  Water dripping out of the upper kitchen cabinet!!  It's raining!!  Call in to the roofer!!  DAMMIT!!!!  :angry:

Contractors who install water pipes overhead should be shot, drug through cactus, shot again, and then beaten with a knotted well rope.  

12 minutes ago, Wolfgang, SASS #53480 said:

Indoor plumbing is a nusance . . . . .  I don't beleive in it.   Will never catch on.   :P

May it rain on your walk...Do remember that walk at my grand parents place Texas...Well also went dry...Would go with my grandfather to buy water from a someone down the road...Just filled up the milk cans with the hose...Nothing thought about during the 50s...

They are fixing the problem as I type...

Texas Lizard

My Grandparents homesteaded in 1913. They didn't have indoor running water until my Dad and Uncles built them a new house in 1961. Up until then, the running water was grab a bucket and run to the well pump.

My Aunt had to haul water in milk cans from my Grandparents well. Her farm didn't have drinkable water. Too much alkali in her well's water. The animals drank it but we didn't. The only thing she used her well's water for was washing clothes and doing dishes.

2 hours ago, Texas Lizard said:

May it rain on your walk...Do remember that walk at my grand parents place Texas...Well also went dry...Would go with my grandfather to buy water from a someone down the road...Just filled up the milk cans with the hose...Nothing thought about during the 50s...

They are fixing the problem as I type...

Texas Lizard

Hi Lizard . . . . . I know how it is.   At my cabin in Ohio  ( in the early '70s ) . . . I carried water from the spring ( until I got gutters and rain barrels ) . . . . . pooped in the woods.   

"cabin in Ohio"

Now have a "bath house" that is sepperate from the cottage ( about 10 steps away ).   If there  is ever a leak  it will NOT flood the cottage . . . also I did not take up floor space in the cottage and now have a spacious bath house with sink, shower, flush toilet.   I also have an efficient out house. . . . . ( but some how women seem to think that a flush toilet is a wonderful thing to have . . . . :huh:  :o  :mellow: ?   So have it for them that craves such a modern gidgit. )

15 minutes ago, Wolfgang, SASS #53480 said:

. . pooped in the woods.   

"cabin in Ohio"

Am I wrong to be doing this. Grows mushrooms ya know

We've had three late-night indoor floods in the last 20 years, due to the failure of the cheap Chinese plumbing fixtures and fittings they sell these days. Now if we are going to be gone for more than a day, we shut the water off completely.

5 hours ago, Wolfgang, SASS #53480 said:

Indoor plumbing is a nusance . . . . .  I don't beleive in it.   Will never catch on.   :P

I agree, but Ma insisted on wall to wall carpeting in the bathroom.  She liked it so well we had to lay it all the way up to the house.

I'm the first generation on my dad's side to have indoor plumbing our entire lives. He never had it until he reported to Fort Leonard Wood. 

Texas Lizard, your last line was the best ... "Problem all fixed, hot shower time!"

I do like Lawman Mark's studied opinion on those who install such things.

We had running water in our first house.  Of course, I was born in a log cabin and the running water was from a well pump in the kitchen.  My father had ran a pipe out and down the well.  After priming and pumping, walal, running water.

Fort Leonard Wood, otherwise known as Fort Lost In The Woods, had running water, but not in the barracks.  One building in a compound had water.  If you had to go to the restroom in the middle of the night, you shook out your boots and walked across the gravel to "the" Shower Building.

1 hour ago, Texas Lizard said:

Better above than under the concrete...

TL

I've dealt with that scenario too.  Give me a crawlspace every time.  

53 minutes ago, Texas Lizard said:

Maybe, but a s$$$ load more expensive...

TL

Not when that leak in the ceiling floods the whole house. Unless you have flood insurance most policies do not cover water damage due to busted pipes. 

Posted Image

Archived