SASS Wire Forum

Nicest thing I've Finished for a While

CurlyDrew42

Once the leather breaks in I can do some smoothing but that holster is done. 

IMG_20171013_163157_373.jpg

Nice job, Curly.

That is hand stitched.  And hand tooled. There is some time into that holster. Outstanding!!

1 hour ago, Tascosa, SASS# 24838 said:

hand sewn or machine?

By hand.  My mum has a machine down in NM that could probably handle that weight of leather but I have never owned a machine.  Tempted but I have been working this way for 20+ years a machine might slow me down ;)

Curly, the machine is fast.....if you want to do it fast. 'Course, hand stitching will put down a machine every time done right. However, when you do a belt then I crank up the Cobra.

Got some more pictures?

46 minutes ago, Red Cent said:

Got some more pictures?

Not of this piece yet but more of my work can be seen on my blog-

https://spaceranger42.wordpress.com/

Hand work is precision work, and that is true art!

I've long admired carved leather with the background dyed.

That's the first time I've seen a patterened, dyed background.

That's NIIIICE!!!!!

Howdy,

Breathtaking.

I cannot think of a nicer holster and pard

I have seen a bunch.

Any chance of a similar crossdraw style for a shopkeeper?

You got praise from Red Cent and that's GOOD.....

Best

CR

11 hours ago, Red Cent said:

the machine is fast

The gent who has put the polish on my recent techniques doesn't use stitching at all on some of his work.  Too much of the stuff I make gets used pretty rough so I haven't tried that yet.

Thanks for the kind words, folks!

3 hours ago, Chili Ron said:

Any chance of a similar crossdraw style for a shopkeeper?

There is always a chance! Shoot me a PM sometime.

16 hours ago, CurlyDrew42 said:

By hand.  My mum has a machine down in NM that could probably handle that weight of leather but I have never owned a machine.  Tempted but I have been working this way for 20+ years a machine might slow me down ;)

That's the way I do it. All hand sewn, almost got a machine second hand a while back but chickened out. Y'all do good work.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/13/2017 at 7:40 PM, Red Cent said:

Outstanding!!

Thanks! It's a departure from the stuff I usually do so there is a bit of a learning curve.

On 10/14/2017 at 12:10 PM, Tascosa, SASS# 24838 said:

almost got a machine

I am not going to lie, the Tipman Boss is pretty tempting.  Or one of the various models of similar machines that cobblers use.

Curly,

I own a Tipman Boss and Cobra 3 (electric motor machine).  Like you I started by hand stitching and I still do thick welts and difficult stitching jobs that way.

You can do OK work on a Tipman, but it is a pain in the a$$ to adjust the stitching length every time you change the thickness of the leather and it can be a very temperamental machine.  I love my Cobra 3 machine and I wish I had purchased it first.  I still own the Tipman, but I mainly use it as a hole punch to put holes in very thick holster welts.  Your carving is very good work.

7 minutes ago, TN Mongo, SASS #61450 said:

it is a pain in the a$$ to adjust the stitching length

I had heard this, also that it really only likes one type of thread.  Two of the reasons I have not plunked down the cash for it.  I might reconsider a machine in the future as there are a few saddle makers here in WA state that seem to have one up for grabs now and then.  There is a company that makes accessories for the standard hand press you can get from Tandy and a few other places (the tandy one is read, the others are blue- same press so far as i can tell) they include a chisel friendly anvil and punch adapter among other things and that is REALLY tempting.  Especially since they are not nearly as expensive as the setting dies sold through Tandy.  I am at work so don't have the site book marked but I will post it for you other folks who like to beat on dead cow.

Also, thanks for the kind words Mongo.  I am more accustomed to celtic knots than I am Sheridan style flowers.

I didn't notice any whips or latex on the blog so I guess you are OK  :) 

Do you have a market for all the monsters and stuff? Man, you need to turn yourself loose on cowboy leather. I would bet that steampunk guy from Georgia would spend a fortune on it. 

You do not want a Tipmann Boss.

Be aware that the Cowboy CB 4500 and their other designations are the same as the Cobra series. They are copies of the Juki 441 series. Here is an interesting read.

http://leatherworker.net/forum/topic/35188-441-clones/

Also peruse the Sailrite machines.

Remember Lovecraft's life.

1 hour ago, Red Cent said:

I didn't notice any whips or latex on the blog so I guess you are OK

Well I don't share EVERYTHING on the wire or on my blog but lets just say that I cater to several different markets as time permits.  I do a lot of work for fantasy LARPers and cos-play folks.  I shouldn't say a lot.  I have a 9 to 5 (7:30ish to 4:45ish) so I don't rely on my crafting for a pay check (though I have in the past) I just opened up commissions again to my usual crowd so I can supplement my mad money and pick up a lever gun sooner rather than later.  I will check out the machine recommendations!  I have been known to lurk on leatherworkers.net too.

Archived