SASS Wire Forum

Got another vintage S&W revolver - "Chief's Special"

I won a bid on GunBroker for a vintage S&W Model 36 "Chief' Special" in .38 Special.  http://www.gunbroker.com/item/691680478

It now joins the family circle of my humble collection of S&W double action revolvers.

I won the bid, sent in payment, and my FFL contact sent his FFL to the seller on Sept 7.  I received the revolver on Sept 19.  Normally this would have been considered an excessive amount of time between payment and receiving.  But this seller's gun business is located in Davie, Florida, which is between Miami and Fort Lauderdale, and on Sept 7, Hurricane Irma was bearing down on Florida.  I think I can understand that the seller probably had more pressing things to do than trying to ship my gun: like preparing for a monster storm and then digging out and getting his business back up and running.  Considering, I think the seller did good.  Plus unbeknownst to me, the gun came with it's original box.  I am please.

So now, take a gander at my newest addition.  This Model 36 is of 1966-67 vintage.  It's in very good condition, which I'd call 95%.  Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet but I'm confident it will do just fine.  I name some of my guns.  This little revolver I'm going to name...."Irma."

S&W Model 36 "Chief's Special"

fGsDNX.jpg

Y9llxV.jpg

Here's my little collection of S&W double action revolvers.

Starting at 12 o'clock and going clockwise:

-  Model 625-9 "Mountain Gun" in .45 Colt

-  Model 19-3 "Combat Magnum" in .357 Magnum

-  Model 34-1 "Kit Gun" in .22 LR

-  4th Model "Pocket Revolver" in .32 S&W

-  Model 36 "Chief's Special" in .38 Special

-  Model 15-4 "Combat Masterpiece" in .38 Special

eS19TB.jpg

Thanks for letting me share my newest addition; a nice little snub nosed S&W named Irma.

God bless,

Birdgun

My first off duty gun and still my favorite Bought it in 1980 and paid the princely sum of $83 for it. To me it's priceless. It's little sister was a gift from a friend a mint Model 31 in 32 long

1 hour ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

Birdgun, that piece looks like it needs a good cleaning. 

Send it to me and I will do it for you. ;)

I don't think so....you old horse thief!!!:P:D

By golly now, that's well done indeed!

I carried a Chief's Airweight for a backup, back when dirt was young and so was I ...

31 minutes ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

Help us non-S&W collectors understand that?

LL

LL, "ampersand" is the "& " sign on the barrel between Smith & Wesson.   The long ampersand was on earlier S&W revolvers.

See the difference between my Chief's Special (1966-67) and my Combat Masterpiece (1980)

F3O6Lu.jpg

uBR4Iz.jpg

12 hours ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

Help us non-S&W collectors understand that?

LL

It's just a "screw counter" thing.  The long ampersand was used up to about 1969, and it's a way of quickly figuring the rough age of a Smith.  Others are the number of screws (5, 4, 3), the knurling on the ejector rod, pinned and recessed, and such.

I had a series of several J frames and then one day I decided I needd a Colt Detective Special and traded my nickel model 36.

And eventually I realized the Smith was a better fit and I've had several since. Thisn's pretty much my edc. especially in the summer.

airweight1.jpg

35 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I had a series of several J frames and then one day I decided I needd a Colt Detective Special and traded my nickel model 36.

And eventually I realized the Smith was a better fit and I've had several since. Thisn's pretty much my edc. especially in the summer.

airweight1.jpg

That's a mighty fine lookin' Smith to me!  One of S&W most sold handguns today.  In a pinch, it'll get the task accomplished.

My first LEO position, the Chief Investigator opened a closet which was full of various kinds of handguns (I never really knew where they all came from) and told me to pick one. I picked a Model 36 and carried it during that assignment. For my next agency, I bought, at the local hardware store (imagine that!), for about $80.00, a  back-up, which was a 3" Model 36 with a flat top (like a target top). I thought the 3" would be a good compromise between concealment and accuracy. Carried that for about ten years, usually as my primary carry, finally traded it to a female officer who liked the smaller size and somewhat better accuracy, for a Model 60, which I still have and carry periodically twenty years after retirement. It's a great little gun. So I've been S&W throughout my career, including  a 6906 I bought when my agency went to semi's and in lieu of the issue Sig P-226.

Ornery Cuss

Archived