SASS Wire Forum

EOT speed pistol

Beartrap  SASS#57175

That's absolutely fantastic!  The level of competition at EOT has to be seen to be believed, and that just makes this even more impressive. 

can we have the times? please,,,,  and grats again!!

Gunfighter in 1.71    

WOW, that even smashes my best video time of 1.79 on a BIG dump plate... ;)

I knew Smokestack was fast and that he had the ability to get into  the 1.6 and 1.7 range in his GF skills.

I think its great that it was done in such admirable fashion at the World Championships.

CONGRATULATIONS Smokestack.   And keep em smoking!

..........Widder

Congratulations Smokestack ! ! !

Us Instagram followers will be CELEBRATING WITH YOU ! ! !

9 hours ago, Smokestack said:

Thanks. There were 4 targets, 2 shots on each outside and 3 on each inside. Any order. 

Traditional 2.42

duelist 3.15

gunfighter 1.71

1.71 gunfighter? I can't even think that fast let alone draw two pistols in that time. How do you do it?

13 hours ago, Redwood Kid said:

1.71 gunfighter? I can't even think that fast let alone draw two pistols in that time. How do you do it?

To be fair, the guns started muzzles on the table for gunfighters, one that way for trad. And duelist and the other holstered. The fastest GF run I had, (with a miss) was 1.27. Couldn't get my left hand to quit missing so I tried a different sweep and got the 1.71 

17 minutes ago, Smokestack said:

To be fair, the guns started muzzles on the table for gunfighters, one that way for trad. And duelist and the other holstered. The fastest GF run I had, (with a miss) was 1.27. Couldn't get my left hand to quit missing so I tried a different sweep and got the 1.71 

Oh well that makes it sound so much easier. With those rules I might do it in 6 seconds. Can't even fathom under 2. That's just insane. Remind me to mess with you in a saloon 130 years ago. I'd have bourbon pouring out of me in ten holes before I even cleared leather. 

Redwood Kid,

Naturally, having some good thumbs (Bionic ?) helps when reaching these speeds.

But another aspect that some folks overlook is the 'willingness', the guts to do it.   Its not an easy or natural thing for most folks to pick up 2 pistols and shoot them that fast.   Lots of practice and reaction time drills are a must.

My guess is that Smokestack is in the 1.10 to 1.25 second range for his 1st to 10th shot.   Thats about where I was a few years back.   And actually, Smokestack may be less.

I used basically stock Ruger .38's and very light loads.  The only mod to my pistols were a hammer stop, #15 hammer spring and removing any burrs that were in the pistol.   They also used the factory hammers and were not short stroked.

I have thought about trying those speed runs again using my slicked up, short stroked .32's but doing some of that stuff is almost like work.   And for now, my retirement days are begging me to be lazy and take it easy..... :)

I look forward to more stuff from Smokestack.   Its great that he is setting new standards for the BORGS of this world... ;o

P.S. - another BORG that can whip out 10 in about 1 second is Deuce.  He is fast as a GF also.

..........Widder

On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 11:28 PM, Smokestack said:

Thanks. There were 4 targets, 2 shots on each outside and 3 on each inside. Any order. 

Traditional 2.42

duelist 3.15

gunfighter 1.71

Howdy Smokestack, congrats on this outstanding performance....may I ask what sequence you used on the gunfighter run?

Archived