SASS Wire Forum

Best 1897 Shotgun

Col Del Rio

Greetings,

What is the best 1897 pump shotgun going? Would you buy an original?  How about a Coyote Cap?  I want something good for CAS/Wild Bunch?  I am open to all suggestions.

Thanks,

Colonel Del Rio

Winchester Period !

Enough said .

Rooster 

Frankly, I don't know which is best.

Some folks prefer an original...... but there are some folks who ONLY want some originals with high serial numbers, signifying  particular years of manufacturer. 

Some prefer original takedown models and some shooters prefer the solid frame models.

As for me, I prefer the IAC models of particular serial numbers beginning with 04, 06, 09 and CB models.

There are some very reputable 97 smiths in SASS/CAS as mentioned above.

For my IAC tuning, I use a local smith name Curly Bill Kelly in Harriman, TN.

There is a particular Slow Poke (POKIE) shooter, :D , name RED KNEE out in Oklahoma who prefers originals only and also has his favorite smith(s).

Milelage varies a lot on this one.

..........Widder

I use to shoot an original because I like originals if I can get em'. In the old days they were cheap and plentiful. Now you pay a pretty good price for a beater that is wore out.

The new ones are new and some say better metal etc.

Mine never broke or let me down I just fumbled it too much feeding the rascal.......If I could shoot one like Widder I might still be shooting one today..............lol

I shoot a 4th Gen Norinco ,and have for 14-15 years, it sounds like a coffee can full of nuts and bolts but it just keeps going and going. It works way better than the operater.

Imis and my$.02

After owning a dozen repros I could not be happier than when I got my wallet out and bought a 98% original made in 1957. Tuned the mainspring, put in a Shotgun Boogie ejector spring in and it has been flawless. For me all the repros start off running fine then go south. Everyone will vary but it's originals for me.

1 hour ago, Deuce Stevens SASS#55996 said:

After owning a dozen repros I could not be happier than when I got my wallet out and bought a 98% original made in 1957. Tuned the mainspring, put in a Shotgun Boogie ejector spring in and it has been flawless. For me all the repros start off running fine then go south. Everyone will vary but it's originals for me.

Agreed......I've been running the same original 97 from 1901 for 10+ years. Replaced the Mag tube a few months back. Other than that.....just your standard springs and ejectors.

Stan

Have two 1897 Winchester E series and slicker then owl crap and work great for me. I do my own smith work and no complaints on either of them. Keep spare parts at hand  Keep them clean and polished up.

JRJ

Still shooting the original E series I started with in 2004.  Picked up another last month, and it's a keeper as well.  Got a Chinchester in the safe...rarely get it out.

All of the reproductions are solid frame.

Originals are either solid frame or take down models.  If memory serves, more are takedowns that solids.

I prefer the takedown model, so that naturally leads me to prefer originals.  But that's not all that I own.   My collections of "97s" are as follows, in the order that I obtained them...

1.  Original 97 takedown with 20" barrel.    This was my default main match shotgun for many years.  It is currently my second most commonly used shotgun.

2.  Reproduction 97 Trench Gun.   Got it as a present soon after they came out after saying how I'd like to have one.   I have used it for Wild Bunch on occasion, even once with a fixed bayonet!  Very well made gun.

3.  Original 97 take down with 30" full choke barrel.   Always wanted one with a long barrel, just to have one.  When I found this one, I grabbed it.  Its not in as good overall shape as #1, but I still like it.  After I tried once on a whim as my main match shotgun, it has become my default gun.   I get a lot of stares from people who don't expect to see a long barreled shotgun at of our shoots, especially last year at EoT.  But, I found that unlike with the shorter tube, I hardly ever miss with the long one.  I have had a little work done on this gun.  When I first got it, it would no properly cycle shells from the magazine, and barrel would not fit snug on the frame.   A local gunsmith who is now retired was able to fix those problems for me.

4.  Reproduction 93/97.   Wanted to have one of these just to fill out my "Winchester Collection," as I figured I'd never find an original 93.  Has a 20" barrel.  After using it for Wild Bunch at EoT last year and missing far to often, I have resolved to get a 30" barrel for it.  Still working on that desire.

5.  Original 93.   Found this at a local shop for $280 and bought it.  It is in excellent mechanical condition.  Have not fired it yet, but using 2-1/2" black powder shells, I will eventually do so.  I have run empty all brass shells through it, and it functions flawlessly.

So, when all is said and done, I have had very good luck with originals.  The reproductions I have work fine, but I prefer the real ones as I can get 'em the way I want 'em, with long barrels.  

Archived