SASS Wire Forum

Advice sought on a new '73 Winchester in 38 WCF or 44 WCF

Tulrosa Mike

I have been shooting my 38/40 1873 Winchester (1886 mfg. 24" octagon sporting rifle) for 21 years now in CAS events. I would like to get a reproduction rifle because the original is getting tired and I would like to keep it as original as possible. Also, I will probably look for a shorter/lighter version of the 73 since the 24" is heavy and my wife may take up shooting with me after many years of watching. I was thinking of another 38/40 since I already have about 500 rnds loaded and maybe 800 cast bullets. I may consider a 44/40 since I am only interested in original calibers and have the dies and some bullets for that caliber since I used to have a Colt Frontier Six in 44/40. I have a 92 inf 32/20 that my son used to shoot but I don't want that caliber for CAS. I would like opinions as to which manufacture or vendor may be better and also has these calibers and if they run true to size etc.

Thanks,
Mike 
SASS #12314
T.H.S.S. 

I believe the .38 WCF. to be the better caliber , regarding ease of feeding ( feeds like grease through a goose ) and the very best at sealing the bore against blow- back...

And Slightly less recoil for the Missus if this is wanted ...

It is also easyer to reload, with less chance of crushed necks compared with it's older brother ...

I really like mine it is a Sporting Rifle ...

Jabez Cowboy

All the importers of rifles have the Uberti in 38 40 and 44 40.  Your best bet might be a short rifle (18-20 inch bbl) with a full octagon or half round/half octagon bbl.  Weight differential between a short rifle and full length model is only a few ounces, but the shorter bbl may e easier for your missus to manipulate.  Both calibers are available and if you have components for both, it's a toss up as to which is a better caliber for you.  Depending on how fast you wish to shoot you can always get a slicked up version from one of the many good gunsmiths who sell them ready to go.  I have a Uberti short rifle in 44 40 which was slicked up and it's faster than I am.  Depending on your price sensitivity, Winchesters (by Miroku) are available in 44 40, also.  They are a little more expensive than the Ubertis and parts availability to date has been difficult, but they are pretty good guns. 

Your pistols are 44/40 ?

Then that would be a obvious choice if your asking .

Just Saying .

I am shooting .45 pistols now. I don't have the 1st gen Colt pistol anymore. I might do a little slicking up (lighter hammer spring) but would never short stroke a Winchester or clone as I have more interest in history than going fast. But that is just me. I would not mind getting a 18" barrel if it would hold 10 rnds.

Thanks for the replies.

Mike

I think either one would be fine. That said .45 Colt would be the obvious choice so you only have to load one caliber. I know it's not historically correct in the rifle but just sayin'..............

I sold my 73 24" 38 WCF rifle but still shoot my 73 short rifle, 73 carbine and 66 carbine all in 38 WCF - Great Cartridge! However I also have 3 sets of revolvers also 38 WCF.

Either is a great caliber and neither is a mistake.  Brass is so easily converted from one to the other that availability of brass is not a big deal.  You will pay more for dash-40 brass than say .45 Colt.   And you will lose a small fraction due to crushing on the range.  

It should be a low risk choice between those two for you to make for yourself.  I wouldn't make the choice on a $1200 gun based solely on the $75 bucks of components you might already have on hand.

Good luck, GJ

When you say new Winchester, are you talking about the miroku winchester? As far as I know, they don't make them in 38-40. If I'm wrong, well then I'll know what my next purchase will be. I have an original in 38-40 as well. I've been wanting another rifle in that caliber just because. If you're talking about uberti than either choice as well as many others are available. The one thing to keep in mind with the 44-40 is that bore sizes can be anywhere from 427 up to as large as 431. With the 38-40 you're going to get a pretty standard 401. 

I load and shoot original Wins in .32 and .38.  I do not have a .44WCF since I already load .44 Mag and .45 Colt,, two cases that already cause grief in keeping separate.  

You sound like you can load and shot any of the rounds listed.

For what its worth, I sold my 1873s in .38WCF because I felt that they needed to be shot only with BP.  The 1873 in .32 has much thicker chamber walls and can be downloaded to lower pressures with smokeless.  My only original .38 is now a 1892.

Mike,

You only have two manufacturers to choose from.  Uberti and Mirouku.  Both make fine rifles.  Your principal importers are Cimarron and Taylors with some from Dixie.  All the importers are very reputable.  Both rifles will benefit greatly from an improved Main Spring and Lever Side Springs (Uberti).  Selections of style of rifle are better from Uberti.  More performance parts from Uberti.  I would personally recommend Uberti based on parts availability should something go south on ya.  Shop around 'cause yer the one has to write the check :rolleyes:

I know that both Taylor's and Cimarron are Ubertis. I called both (Taylor's and Texas Jacks) of them today and it appears that getting any caliber besides 38/357 or .45 Colt difficult if you don't want to wait for some long and unspecified amount of time. They had a few models in stock but not the ones that I really wanted in 38/40 so I am not sure what I will go with. I saw one of the Winchesters/Mirouku this weekend at a shoot that was in 357 but I did not like the new safety firing pin thing so I probably not get one even if they had one in 38/40.

Thanks,

Mike

Howdy

Always check Dixie Gunworks to see what they have in stock. Dixie stocks Uberti, I do not believe they stock the MIroku/Winchester brand, but I did not look real hard to see. They have several rifles available chambered for 44-40 and 38-40. I would assume they are in stock right now. Notice that Dixie often runs discounts on various rifles. The rifles they have on discount right now are the Iron Frame 1860 Henry and the brass framed 1860 Henry. I bought my 44-40 Iron Frame Henry from Dixie about 10 years ago and saved $200 over the regular price. You don't want to know what I paid for it then.

https://www.dixiegunworks.com/default.php?cPath=701_704_705&sort=2a&&page=1&osCsid=756s5vc3ll87e013g1s64cji34

I've been loading 44-40 for rifles for over ten years now, 38-40 considerably less. I don't see that 38-40 feeds any better through a rifle than 38-40, 44-40 has enough of a taper to help it slide into the chamber easily. Ultimately, the decision is up to you as to exactly which cartridge you prefer, I prefer 44-40 simply because I have been loading it longer.

I sincerely doubt if you would be able to fit 10 rounds of 38-40 or 44-40 in the magazine of a rifle with an 18" barrel. Twenty inches seems to be about the limit for that.

I agree that parts are much more easily available for Uberti than Miroku/Winchester. And yes, changing out the lever and lifter springs in an Uberti lever gun will extend the life of the cam on the lever. I like the Whisper Springs that Happy Trails sells.

http://www.thesmithshop.com/springkits.html

I also suggest replacing the stock 'lever safety' spring with the one that Hap sells. Makes it so you do not have to squeeze hard on the lever to pull the trigger. What ever you do, do not remove the lever safety or its spring.

http://www.thesmithshop.com/leversafety.html

Howdy Mike,

I've got a Uberti 44-40 carbine with the 19" barrel (the only way Uberti makes them) and a 38-40 short rifle with the 20" octagonal barrel. I have no problems loading 10 rounds in either rifle. The short rifle is a bit heavier than the carbine, but has a semi-buckhorn rear sight, the carbine only has a ladder notch sight. The semi-buckhorn is much easier for target acquisition. Also, I've had a number of 44-40 rifles from Uberti over the years, 1860 Henry, 1866 and 1873 clones and even a 1892 clone by Rossi. I've never had a problem with bullet diameter. We shoot .428 black powder and .430 smokeless. 

As for which caliber, I like both, find both to be equally easy to load and ballistics are very close. The 38-40 brass is slightly more expensive that the 44-40 and if you want Winchester brass (which I like for bp as the neck area is thinner), they only make it about once a year so it's not always available. 

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the above!

Yesterday I ordered a  1873 Special Sporting Rifle .38-40 20” Octagonal, Blue Finish with Case Hardened Frame from Taylor's it is like this one below but it is in 38 WCF instead of 44 WCF. It was not showing on the Web in 38 WCF but when I talked to them they said that they one available. I kind of wanted to buy from Cimarron (Texas Jack) because they started close to where I live and everytime I go to Fredericksburg I stop in there. Also,the owner was one of the founders of the club that I am in. Unfortunately they did not have a model that I wanted available in 38-40 and they told me that they did not know when they would have one.

http://www.taylorsfirearms.com/long-guns/cartridge-rifles/1873-lever-action/1873-special-sporting-rifle/1873-special-sporting-rifle-44-40-20-octagonal-blue-finish-with-case-hardened-frame-walnut-checkered-pistol-grip-model-205.html

We will see how it shoots.

Thanks for the replies,
Mrappe

You will enjoy your .38 WCF ....

If you aren't picky about the right head-stamp  you can resize .44-40 to .38-40 ( .38 WCF ) and save a few dollars ...

Jabez Cowboy

Archived