SASS Wire Forum

Traveling to Guam. Anyone ever been there?

Charlie Harley, #14153

I have an upcoming business trip to Guam and was wondering if anyone's ever been there.

Things to do, or avoid, while on the island?

I am a history fan of sort so would love to see any special places.

As always, the Saloon's (ACS) help is appreciated.

Howdy Charlie,

I lived on Guam a couple of decades ago so I don't know all the latest stuff, but I moved out there for one purpose, to go scuba diving! The diving is very good, and in fact, if you've never been to the western Pacific, it could be called great. In case you don't dive, the snorkeling is also very good. Lots of shipwrecks if you're a diver.

There is a war museum and a fair amount of artifacts scattered around the island. There are some bomb shelters in Hagatna that you used to be able to go into, don't know if it's still allowed. If you have access to the military bases, there is a war dog cemetery that is pretty cool.

Be aware that prices are very high compared to stateside due to everything having to be shipped in.

We used to say there were three things to do on Guam, drink, dive and ...well, you get the picture. Not necessarily in that order.

Guam is truly in the tropics and this time of year is the wet season, so it will be warm, humid and wet. Temps will be in the high 80s to low 90s, humidity will be close to 100% in the evenings and early mornings and it might dry out to about the mid 70% by afternoon. Lots of bugs.

Had a 30 minute lay-over there enroute to my Vietnam vacation. The airport terminal didn't have all the businesses that Atlanta or New York. Thought the plane was going in the ocean on both landing and take-off.

Stopped there long enough to fill up with gas as I was returning in '68.

Current news would indicate that the Americans are no longer well received.

Climbed off a KC-135 there in 68 and as we walked into Base Ops, we went under a sign that read:

"Guam is Good, by Order of the Base Commander"! In spite of that, I worked hard and had some great times there! Owned a quarter interest ($25) in a "Guam Bomb", A 1955 Olds 98 Convertible with NO top! It was Rust and white and had cracked leather seats. Before you drove to the beach, you made sure there were at least 3 Quarts of oil in the trunk! Word had it that it had never had an oil change and to my knowledge, it lasted till 72 with no oil change. Guam was good!

Cheers,,Hoss C.

So iffn yer wearin scuba gear and Guam tips over, yer good to go, right?

If you're there Dec. 10, don't get carried away shouting "Go Army."

Holy Cow! That's the exact time frame I'll be there, and working on the Navy base at that. I'll have to brush up on some "On Brave Old Army Team!" and get ready for a good time with the Squids.

Never been there, but the runways are long enough to accommodate fully-loaded BUFF's, B-1's and B-2's. I doubt the place will tip over if you stand off-center!

and the airbase itself (13.5838842 / 144.9300569) is off-center of the island, so they must have some pretty good anchorages.

Archived