SASS Wire Forum

Just got my Dillon 650 and I hate it!

Johnny Dollar

Ok.. so now that I have your attention.. this thing is awesome! I hate it because I've loaded everything I have! :lol::lol: I've been using a single stage since around 79 I think, then a few years ago bought an RCBS turret.

I started a thread about thinking of getting one here: http://www.sassnet.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=249420#entry3255894

I really don't know why it took as long as it did... of course I can say that now that I have it. My turret did just fine but a lot slower and I'll keep it to load for my 45/70 and 30/06 for my Garand since I don't shoot those that often.

I'll probably get the brass feeder for it soon... I thought it wouldn't be a big deal since I was used to the turret with putting the brass in one at a time so I figured this was a big step up with the tube holding several at a time. But now it gets tedious loading the tube. :blink: The other option I may get is the bullet tray but for now I just dig in the box... not that big of a deal. I'm also using my carbide RCBS dies with no problems.

But like I said.... I am really enjoying this thing. When I first set it up, I loaded almost 500 9mm and now have it setup for my .45 colt.

Anyway, here is my meager loading bench in my gun room..... oh and the picture on the wall upper left is my great grandparents on my Moms side. ^_^

IMG_3949_zpsmf2hieqx.jpg

My 650 is 22years old and has done every job I asked it to do.

Johnny Dollar I know where y'all are coming from.

I started on a Dillon Square Deal. Didn't enjoy reloading at all. Every pull of the handle saved me 40 cents. When the son shot with me that was a $80 savings per match. For that kind of money I'll pull the handle.

Come home from work and reload a few until suppers ready. Repeat until I have 1 or 2 hundred reloaded, boring!

Son says, "Dad! You need to reload 5.56 too!"

So I sold the Square Deal (limited work bench space) and put the money into a XL650, case feeder, bullet tray and handle. Got it all mounted put together and calibrated.

"Honey! Suppers ready"

Drat out of primers already? Just put another hundred in just a bit ago...

"Honey! Suppers ready!"

Lube more brass and refill the hopper

"Suppers ready!"

Bullets. Got more in another box right over....

"Supper!"

Rats! I'm out of brass. Well guess since I've got enough reloaded for this season and next year's I'll call it a day. Hey Honey, you got to see this thing. Honey? Wonder why the house is all dark? That's the wife i hear snoring, guess it is late...funny I don't remember eating supper.

Do you have any young kids or grandkids? They make great case feeders. You stand them on the bench next to the reloader and have them keep the tube full. That's the way Smokestack does it.

Matthew thats a funny story... and I can relate because its happened to me many times. My wife doesn't call anymore.... she knocks on the wall.. once. :blink:

Do you have any young kids or grandkids? They make great case feeders. You stand them on the bench next to the reloader and have them keep the tube full. That's the way Smokestack does it.

Yul, I have one kid about ten days from getting out of collage then to grad school with an almost year long stop off in China in between for other studies and another with one year left in grad school... but no one to fill the tube. :blush: I asked my wife once and well lets just say that I wont repeat what she said....... ;)

Before getting the bullet tray, try using a plastic coffee can lid.

I loaded a few million rounds since 1998.

Best year was 460,000 rounds on 650s.

I found the plastic lid more convenient than the trays.

Looks like you have room next to your press.

================

A 650 without the bullet feeder is just an expensive single stage press.

Before getting the bullet tray, try using a plastic coffee can lid.

I loaded a few million rounds since 1998.

Best year was 460,000 rounds on 650s.

I found the plastic lid more convenient than the trays.

Looks like you have room next to your press.

================

A 650 without the bullet feeder is just an expensive single stage press.

Actually thats a good idea... I also have a small metal parts bin thats in the shape of a dish that I was thinking of trying. It has a magnet on the bottom that keeps screws from jumping out... bullets wont stick though. ;)

Johnny Dollar, the best thing for the money is the powder check for the case. No beep no stop. Beep, stop, empty powder, throw brass in the feeder and load more.

You want to talk about fast? I've had the case feeder and powder checker from the very start but this past Christmas Mrs Clause got me a Mr Bullet bullet feeder. You just pull the handle as fast as you can. Dang those primers sure do go fast.

Shooting Bull-Will the bullet feeder work with lead, poly and moly bullets of all weights? I love my 650. Would like to love it more!!!!!!

Uh Joe.... You wanna explain that "lame" comment that you edited out? My saying I hate it was just a joke.... Hardly "lying". Yeah, you probably forgot that people that start a post or add to it gets an email with anyone else's comments BEFORE you can edit them out.

You wanna talk lame? Your comment was.

And thanks to everyone else that took it to be what it was.... Just bad humor.

Nice setup Johnny!

Joe LaFives, Not really the cowboy way now was that. but I guess we only play cowboy on the weekends.....

Thanks Stone! And thanks to all who gave me some great tips and well wishes with this awesome machine! I do in fact love it.... And don't worry about Joe. I'm not sure what got into him. I don't know him, never met him and never seen anything he posted before this. I've been called a lot of things but a liar over something like this is just absurd and childish.

love my 650, when u get one you wont want to use anything else lol, i load, 9mm,45acp,38spl,357mag,and 45 colt, and .223

Dirty Southpaw.... I'm beginning to see that is a very true statement!! :)

Matthew thats a funny story... and I can relate because its happened to me many times. My wife doesn't call anymore.... she knocks on the wall.. once. :blink:

Yul, I have one kid about ten days from getting out of collage then to grad school with an almost year long stop off in China in between for other studies and another with one year left in grad school... but no one to fill the tube. :blush: I asked my wife once and well lets just say that I wont repeat what she said....... ;)

Got any neighbor kids? Be a good way to keep em out of trouble or their mothers hair.

I love my 550 and for me it was worth buying the bullet tray and shell tray. They put the components right close and ergonomicly were you need them.

Also I would recommend extra primer tubes, and the low powder alarm.

Happy Loading

Just got finished loading several hundred .45 colt...... now I'm looking for something else to do..... :P

But I made a bullet tray.... I had a stainless magnetic parts dish that I bought from the dollar store a couple years ago. Today I was in Home Depot and saw some steel angle brackets used for building materials. I bolted the braket on the exsisting holes of the strong mount and put the magnetic dish on it... and it works great! ;) Total cost.... $3.50

image_zpsi07vtxdh.jpeg
image_zpswc2nsimg.jpeg
image_zpspnuuu1xc.jpeg

Johnnny, wanna buy one of my Dillee case feeders?

Go to http://www.sswdistributors.com/62946480

Have a look see what you think.

I was given one and I tossed it!

Still love my Dillon 550

Wigley

Ok, I was kidding about hating mine..... What didn't you like about it? Just wondering....

Johnnny, wanna buy one of my Dillee case feeders?

Go to http://www.sswdistributors.com/62946480

Have a look see what you think.

Jackaroo, that does look interesting. Is that just the bracket you have?

Archived