SASS Wire Forum

BP Squib in my pistol!

Just got back from the RR Bar Regulators annual shoot which was outstanding. I had a first time ever squib in one of my pistol loads. Shot a totally clean 12 stage match except for this. I have never had a squib in any of my loads in 10 years!

Don't really know what caused it either. I shoot APP bp sub in my Cowboy Specials with a 160 gr bullet in my NM Vaqueros. The primer went off and the bullet was 1/2 way down the barrel with lots of unburned powder also in the barrel. I have heard about "clumping" in APP, but really am at a loss to figure out what caused it. I hand dip all the powder charges, so I am sure it had the correct amount of powder.

Any ideas?

Big Sage

I think it was a combination of a light load causing a space/gap in the powder and the fact you were shooting downhill (The targets were close).

My guess is a bad crimp. The primer forced the bullet part ways down the barrel but not enough powder ignited.

Ace

Just got back from the RR Bar Regulators annual shoot which was outstanding. I had a first time ever squib in one of my pistol loads.

Any ideas?

Just pull the trigger faster- :lol::lol::P

THX for the great time, and the very best BACON wrap'd Venison Fillet I've ever had :excl:

OLG

Just pull the trigger faster- :lol::lol::P

THX for the great time, and the very best BACON wrap'd Venison Fillet I've ever had :excl:

OLG

Had a great time too. Now I need some more venison.......

Possible problems:

Wet powder, in that one case. Moisture left from washing cases?

Something blocking flash path from primer to powder. Tumbling media in bottom of case?

Lots of powder in barrel eliminates a light powder drop problem.

APP powder is bad about soaking up moisture from air or anywhere else. Powder measure gets emptied after each loading session? Moisture got into case during storage? Oil contamination?

Good luck, and glad you didn't fire another round into that mess.

GJ

I apparently had wet cases that gave me a series of squib/did not fires.

If you use a vibratory case cleaner/polisher, it could be that some media became stuck/clumped in the case and you loaded the bp sub on top of it, the primer flash was impaired, and there was only partial ignition of the propellant.

If you lube your bullets, there could have been a glop of lube that contaminated your bp sub load, giving only partial ignition.

There could have been a faulty primer, with a substandard portion of priming mixture in the primer cup and therefore a very weak flash from the primer.

Cat Brules

Break down the round, it will tell you what you did wrong.

I'z the one that knock'd out the bullet for Sage. It wasn't a true 'squib'. The bullet was lodged in front of the frame, within the barrel.

There was some unburned powder that came out with the bullet. The case look'd fine.

IMHO: The cause was contaminated powder. But-contaminated from WHAT is what we haven't figured out yet. The inside of the case was dry and the primer had a good hit. :blink:

OLG

OLG will either figure it out and report back here, or drink all of Big Sage's beer trying!

:-)

My case prep procedure is to use a water/cleaner on the cases, dry them and then put them in the vib/ tumbler with lizard litter. I then take the cleaned cases and put them in gallon jugs for storage until I load them.

I load with a RCBS Turret Tool. Deprime, size & reprime, slightly bellmouth cases. I Batch about 20 to 25 at a time. Then use a Lee dipper to add powder and back into tool for bullet seating.

Like I earlier stated, never had a problem in 10 years loading BP & subs. I think Lumpy might be right about contamination. The only other thing could be some media clumping in the bottom if there was some moisture. Priming would punch a hole in thru it during depriming and some of it could have been under the powder causing incomplete ignition.

I'll be doing a better case inspection before I start loading!

Howdy,

Well, 10 years of reloading BP and many rounds downrange with only (1) bad round is pretty good QC. Sooner or latter a mishap occurs if given enough opportunities. I have been reloading for CAS for about 12 years. I got a little distracted yesterday and knew something wasn't right. SO, I check the weight of all 100 cartridges and sure enough, one was light (no powder). Stuff Happens!

Hasta Luego, Keystone

Archived