SASS Wire Forum

M1 Garand video, amateur, really funny

Howdy:

The kid is a goof - PRESS the block in and slam the operating rod handle - no thumb pressure? Too much video games. OH, poor truck getting the ejected cases bounced off of the side. OUCH. He meant well, but obviously does not know how to use the rifle.

STL Suomi

I thought he was going to do that also. He probably would have declared the rifle to be defective. HAHAHHA - I about split with laughter when he couldn't get the first clip in he decided it was no good or whatever and he then picked up a second clip in hopes that somehow it would be easier to load. He would only have to get M1 Thumb once to figure out the procedure. Once is all I needed and most of the guys I served with. a BIG OUCH and a blue thumbnail. (I was 14 at the time and had about the same amount of strength this fellow displayed) HAHAHHAH

STL Suomi

M1 Thumb is no laughing matter... Oh wait, yes, it is.

I think the guy in the video was trying to add some comic relief but went a little over the top when he couldn't get the thing loaded.

GS

Once...just once! And I was NOT trying to load the piece. Actually, it was a "Tanker" model (18" bbl) that had not had the underside of the barrel relieved enough to clear the shortened operating rod. Had the rifle in a bench vise, and was depressing the follower with my LEFT thumb and holding the operating rod handle with my right hand. Right hand slipped and... :o:P:blush: Otherwise, somewhere I learned to load the rifle correctly, without getting my right thumb caught. (No, it wasn't while I was in the military. That came later, and it was in the Air Force which never gave much firearms instructions! IIRC, it was some old Marine Reserve gunnies who were shooting on the Ft. Sheridan, IL, range, where my Dad was on two-week's active duty as a JAG officer. I was a teenager, and he had fixed it with Post S-3 for me to shoot with the reserve units that came out...if the unit commander okay'd it. Army Reserve units were shooting M-1 Carbines, Marine Reserve units, M-1 Rifles! 1950's)

Loved the Truck!

Archived