SASS Wire Forum

First AC-130J Ghostrider Delivered to USAF

Sedalia Dave

SD:

I'm not at all knowledgeable about aircraft...so what makes this a "Gunship"? To my uninitiated eyes, it looks like a cargo plane......

Thanks.

LL

Looks are deceiving:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_AC-130

The AC-130 gunship in all it's variants has been a night attack aircraft, with the ability to loiter over a target and deliver precision fire long before GPS and other guided weapons were available.

The original AC-130A in Vietnam had 4 20mm Vulcan gatling guns and 4 7.62/.308 gatling guns, all 8 guns going was 48,000 rounds per minute.

I'm not likely to ever be in a position to need air support, but if I did, my first choice would be an AC-130 over anything else in the inventory.

Very impressive when used as night support.

The A in front of the designation makes it a combat aircraft with very dangerous gunz. The old warbird flys on. One of the best and most successful birds ever! You can run but you'll just die tired.

Saw a pair of Spookys out of Nha Trang lead plate a small island off the SW end of Cam Ranh in late 1968. This knob of rock was about 110 x 210 yards and everything on the sky side was covered in lead and copper jacketing.

My favorite support planes were F-4 Phantoms. They raked my coals out of a fire once and I fell in love.

So, it can literally LIGHT MY FIRE!

Policing all that brass must be a b*&^h!

I think we had a Spad do a fly over, once, while in Germany.

Wait a minute......which Spad? ;)

Not sure of the configuration of the Ghostrider, but IIRC at least one version packed a 75mm howitzer, in addition to various gatling guns. Charlie didn't like the gunships. All those tracers pouring out of the night sky made it look like a flying dragon was torching them. "Puff", the AC-47 was only the first iteration. The AC-130's can lift and shoot a bunch more ordnance.

Wait a minute......which Spad? ;)

The one behind Snoopy and his Sopwith Camel.

It was a fly over.

I kinda forget what the Airborne troops jumped out of at Gablingen.

Circa 1950/1960, would it have been C 47s?

What was that nasty-lookin' tube sticking out of the left side just behind the door? :ph34r: Whatever it is, I'd hate to be looking down the hole in the middle when it starts spittin' fire! :o

105 mm Howitzer, cheap, effective and accurate.

A story about the AC-130H covering the Panama invasion was some troops were pinned down by enemy fire from a building. When they asked the AC-130H for support, they were asked what window did they want the 105 mm round put through

The one behind Snoopy and his Sopwith Camel.

It was a fly over.

I kinda forget what the Airborne troops jumped out of at Gablingen.

Circa 1950/1960, would it have been C 47s?

I thought at first you meant a Skyraider. Then I remembered you're old enough to have seen the bi-wing jop in action. :D :D

Airborne dudes in Germany used C47s and 119s. We jumped 47s when I was there in 67-68. We seldome jumped more than 12-14 guys at a time so the C130s were used by the 8th Airborne guys. I don't know if there were any 119s in service in Europe when I was there. We used them in Jump School though. Very loud plane!

105 mm Howitzer, cheap, effective and accurate.

A story about the AC-130H covering the Panama invasion was some troops were pinned down by enemy fire from a building. When they asked the AC-130H for support, they were asked what window did they want the 105 mm round put through

That is some impressive hardware.

I don't think I have dies for reloading those cartridges.

Wonder who makes a Full Length sizing die?

And where are we going to find primers and bullets.

The problems just won't go away.

Unless my memory is rustier than I thought, Puff the Magic Dragon was a c-47.

Yeah. Trailrider mentioned that in post 15.

I watched that video, but I am not certain of what I saw. Night vision in action,

artillery in play, but was this live combat or a practice run?

I thought it might be in the sand box somewhere.

My first thought is why don't we let them loose on the ISIS crowd?

Rat shooting should be inexpensive.

I watched that video, but I am not certain of what I saw. Night vision in action,

artillery in play, but was this live combat or a practice run?

I thought it might be in the sand box somewhere.

My first thought is why don't we let them loose on the ISIS crowd?

Rat shooting should be inexpensive.

The only thing we're using on ISIDS is fast movers. The ACi30 is mostly a ground support aircraft and we have no personnel to support. Politically, the administration doesn't want to take the chance of a low slow (comparitively) aircraft falling prey to ISIS SAMs. They have a few.

Archived