SASS Wire Forum

Awards what are your favorites or ideas

Colt Faro, SASS #54579

Plaque is better than certificate or Olympic-style neck medal and ribbon.

I always thought a western style picture frame with a photo of the shooter himself (herself) in action would be cool, but it would take some photographic effort.

Maybe a framed copy of the scoresheet...?

Yul Lose anything you make would have to be amazing based in the incredible gun carts I've seen you make

Thanks Colt. Wait until you see the one I'm building now.

OK... here goes...

For top Male and Female overall.. Very Very nice belt buckle.. The flip clasp is great...

For top in classes... Nice belt buckle that you would be proud to wear.. again the flip clasp is great..

I have some belt buckles that are so gaudy looking I won't put them on my shotgun belt or holster rig..

If you want to give awards lower than the top in classes say 2nd. 3rd. or 4th. etc.

A Very nice Marshall/Sheriff looking badge.. That would pin to your suspenders or gun cart.

again.. nice enough your proud to wear or display but again.. not gaudy looking..

I really like a lot of the "Clean Match" pins I've seen displayed on here and would be proud to get one of those..

I don't know and haven't researched pricing.. I know that is a big contributing factor...

A side note..

You always get free stuff in your packet when you pick it up at sign up..

I've received Baseball caps.. not suppose to wear in SASS

I've received T-Shirts.. again.. not suppose to wear in SASS..

I've liked and have got the most use out of a Golfer style Towel with the Shoots inscription on it.

I've kept every one and hang them on my gun cart at all times..

Fer wipin' guns or wipin' sweat.. they work :)

I've received soft rifle/shotgun cases... they are ok...

I've received pocket knifes.. they are ok..

but still enjoy the towels the best...

Rance ;)

Thinkin' yeah... this is just my thinkin' only..

Thanks fer readin' and listening :)

One of my favorite awards was a scarf slide with event name, category, place and one other thing iirc. They're small but useful if you wear scarfs like us classic Cowboys. I don't wear it at this time because it is part of a clean match totem I made using a spent casing from that match with the date stamped in the case. But if I had more I would rotate them and if you find some one to make them you can turn them into mini plaques that are wearable. If you have a image that you use to highlight the event like sass used buffalo heads for years have the jeweler do the same with the overlay and it would be nice also maybe for the overall winners have an embroidered scarf as the award so they go hand in hand. Buckles for the winners of the overall and category but for second thru x the scarf slides the winners get one to match the buckle.

Top ten buckles are nice for EOT and WR everything else one buckle for male overall, one for female overall and one for each category winner. I'm trying to think of a reason the overall winner wouldn't be the match winner at WR and EOT I'm having a hard time. Nor regional and especially state matches the match winner might not be the regional winner because they are not from the region, states happen all the time. For category winners they should be from the state but what to do when the top state shooter get beats by someone from the ne t stage. You ahave a state winner and you have a category winner requiring two awards. I'm not sure if they have a state category winner award and an event award both made in advance. Then that's great but what happens if it is the same person they get both the event and state awards. Or do you look at who's competing in each category and figure ok this cat should be won by x x isn't a state shooter so we need an extra award, this cat will be won by a state shooter so just the one award. Because the state award state state championship whereas the event winner states year event category champion ship.

I'm not that particular but I hate certificates at major matches. Seem to shout out "That's right, we're really cheap!" I don't think an unframed certificate has ever made it into the house.

Guest Maker-Wright

I would really like to see some pics of nice belt buckles that have been awarded. I don't get out of Colorado/Wyoming due to my business. Don't believe I've seen any shoots in these parts award category buckles. I'm talking about nice, cast, engraved, and/or inlaid type buckles, not the cheesy, plated Taiwan buckle with the sticker applied stating the event, category and place.

Maker

Here's a few awards and buckles from our past " Hell Fire " & "Duel In The Bayou" matches. We try to give some of the best awards in the business. The trophy and state buckle was given to every category champion. The two tone Hell Fire buckle is 1st and the silver is 2nd-3rd.

EAC9B7F1-CA9E-495E-B3C6-78B39075EC07_zps

64214136-33CA-4234-9C4D-585930760269_zps

1D0CA3BC-3F23-403F-85BF-917E0D23E64E_zps

1B6A0DD5-35E1-4AFA-AC92-2A91357EC1CA_zps

0AE541B0-7526-4A76-B0D7-BFD45770390A_zps

Here's also a couple of side match awards from past matches. First is a kershaw knife laser engraved with the sass cowboy and match name. Second is a stand up plaque made by one of our shooters. Then for all you guys and gals that want a good place to shoot and get some awesome fellowship and awards . Here's an application for you 😅

CC23F5E0-A18D-4C91-82E5-3F671A1562A5_zps

1C68BCAD-C609-4D68-8F04-F0D693D168C0_zps

null_zpsc6e37ab9.png

The farewell Comin-at-Cha had a pr of very nice chaps for all category regional winners.

Here's also a couple of side match awards from past matches. First is a kershaw knife laser engraved with the sass cowboy and match name. Second is a stand up plaque made by one of our shooters. Then for all you guys and gals that want a good place to shoot and get some awesome fellowship and awards . Here's an application for you 😅

CC23F5E0-A18D-4C91-82E5-3F671A1562A5_zps

1C68BCAD-C609-4D68-8F04-F0D693D168C0_zps

null_zpsc6e37ab9.png

Slick you always have fantastic awards at your match! First class all the way my friend.

That Duel In The Bayou trophy that Slick posted in the one I posted about earlier.

It's the only one that has made it to the front room of the house.

And that knife he gave for side match awards. Has gotten to be my favorite pocket knife that I carry everyday.

If you want unique....at the IBPG and the Intenational Black Powder Shoot we give away buckles for the top 40 % in each category and the overall man and woman get the MANHOLE cover.....a 14" manhole that is painted black with lettering and highlights in gold. For the international overall the man, woman and junior get the SASS championship buckle.

1st: Slick you always have the BEST awards! And an awesome match too! (Good plug there. LOL) Up the Creek Gang is trying to learn from you...we're getting nice buckles for the 1st place category winners at the LA State WB match (yep, shameless plug here also. ;) )

2nd: I like awards that I can USE...not just sit up on the shelf/wall... Some of my favorites were a western clock with a simple metal award tag saying the match, category, and placing....a glass beer mug with the match name on it....and while it's not "usable" (LOL)...a metal chastity belt for a Saloon Girl Costume Contest win. And the favorite plaque I ever won was a hand painted Yosemite Sam plaque from End of Road in Jerome, ID handmade by Missy Mable

3rd: I have a question for others who put on matches....where do you get your Clean Match pins made?

Shot a Club's monthly where they gave money! -- naw, not big money, but dollar coins for first in category, and commemorative Half dollars and quarters for second and third place.

Was actually pretty neat and the club pres. told me it was cheaper for them than bedingies (ya, I know I can't spell Bidinggies) and they make a neat thing to lay out if you have an awards display area :)

Asking around with the other local shooters, it didn't sound like anybody spent them -- maybe saving up for a new rifle :lol: or brass bag :D

I like what Widder said. Awards that relate to the match and are, especially made locally or at least in the U.S. are neat. The Black Gold Shootout plaques were the neatest! A SAA made out of Kentucky Coal! I'd post a picture but I didn't win one... Going back next year! And all made in U.S.! The Ides of March (Lake County Pistoleros) gave plaques with embossed leather for side matches. Their main match plaques had pictures from the movie the match was based on. I'm traveling so can't post pictures. For the most part, I think that whatever the award, if it shows SOME effort to be special, is better than a no effort prize expensive or cheap.

I have a few...and cherish them all.

I did get a bar of Irish Spring For a clean match at Revenge Of Montizuma once..I don't know if it was a hint or what..

Largo

I got a tiny bar of Dove soap and a piece of regular white paper for my first clean annual. Not funny. We give nice little pins at several of our local monthlies. You'd think a State (yes it was) match could be nicer. I like the 5 Dogs metal dogs they give for clean matches.

Archived