SASS Wire Forum

Shiloh Sharps

Major Art Tillery

IT HAS FINALLY ARRIVED!! Friday I got the call after 25 months of waiting my Shiloh Sharps Rifle has finally arrived. I went and picked it up and boy is it a beauty! This is my first Sharps and sure am excited to get to the range and shoot it. Just wanted to share a picture of it with you folks. It will be the pride of my gun collection for sure!

IMG_20150213_154543_zpskrzurlnx.jpg

That is great what caliber is it? Im got mine in 90 days

It is chambered for the 45-110.... I wanted something different then the 45/70 (own a Marlin CB for it). Hard to find brass for it, and it truly shines only with the BP, but heck that is what these rifles are built for! ;) Now time to work up a good load for it.... can't wait!

Nice rifle Major. Get it sighted in for 700 yards and bring it to Hell on Wheels.

Where did you find brass? I have not found any for my 45-110.

Hamley

Going to try and bring it out there. As far as the brass goes I got kind of lucky, my brother about a year ago talked with a fella that was selling some brass. Come to find out it was 45-110 brass... the drawn out 2.6 Starline brass that Buffalo Arms sells. It was a 100 pieces for $150 all but maybe 5 new... so I jumped on it! Glad I did because I have not seen any for sell since.

Beautiful gun. Make sure as a new owner you know the proper way to lower the block. If done incorrectly you could break the firing pin.

Place on half cock, lower block, insert cartridge, bring lever up, go to full cock, rear trigger, front trigger, BOOM, place on half cock, lower block, and remove spent casing...? That is what I was told anyway.

Place on half cock, lower block, insert cartridge, bring lever up, go to full cock, rear trigger, front trigger, BOOM, place on half cock, lower block, and remove spent casing...? That is what I was told anyway.

You got it right. The half cock keeps the firing pin safe.

Thanks, she is a beauty! It is a 34 inch heavy octagon barrel

I couldn't tell. Yep, youll be glad you got the heavy instead of the standard...it'll be more pleasant to shoot. It took 3yrs 3months and 13 days to get my first Shiloh & delivered in 1991. Its in 40-70 SBN. The second one was delivered last year took 23 months and is a 44-77.

I love my Shilo Sharps #3 Sporting Rifle, I guess I was lucky, I didn't have to wait! I bought it unfired from a gentleman that did wait 18 months though. I got it for a great price since he was having a "divorce sale"

Norma .45-120 brass is available, if it's just a matter of cutting it down...?

I picked up my Shiloh .45-70 Saddle Rifle pretty cheap (comparatively) from a gentleman who won it in, of all things, a Democratic party fundraising raffle 'bout 35 years ago, and never shot it. Current price with upgraded wood - $2366. I paid $1200.

Shiloh.jpg

Norma .45-120 brass is available, if it's just a matter of cutting it down...?

I picked up my Shiloh .45-70 Saddle Rifle pretty cheap (comparatively) from a gentleman who won it in, of all things, a Democratic party fundraising raffle 'bout 35 years ago, and never shot it. Current price with upgraded wood - $2279. I paid $1200.

Shiloh.jpg

Wow that is a beauty J-Bar! I have thought of the Norma brass, have to find a good trimmer...but sure would be an option. Just trim, then anneal right?

I have been developing an interest in Sharps, .45-70, but I confess I am not willing to wait the 2 years to get the Shiloh.

Though I certsinly do recognize how grand was the purchase. CONGRATULATIONS. You must be very happy with it.

There are a several on a VERY popular auction site...prices depending on the amount of adornment and upgrades. Sometimes a real bargain slips in. For new, Shiloh and C. Sharps keep some models on the shelf and Bill Goodman can usually get what you want in short order with little or no wait.

There is no nicer Sharps than a Shiloh. I had a C. Sharps and the rifle shot great, but the fit and finish was not what a Shiloh is. I'm waiting on mine from Bill Goodman. Six months as opposed to 2 years, costs $200.00 extra....

Thank you for the info. http://www.shiloh-ballard.com/ I'll make a call this week and ask about it. Also, I thought I'd look at some LR at WR and learn more, as well.

Thank you

Jen, Bill was friendly and easy to work with. I told him what I wanted and he made some suggestions based on his experience. He keeps orders in the pipeline and says he can get one usually within 6 months. You won't regret a Shiloh if you decide on one, they are fine, well built rifles and for all around shooting I would recommend a 45-70 because there is a lot available for them, you can shoot black powder or smokeless and they will work for most any type match you want to shoot. They also make fine hunting rifles and will arguably bring down anything in North America...

Thank you. I'll call Bill.

By the way, I've been to the Long Branch Saloon in Dodge City. I'm from there, a farm south of town. For Info, most folks don't know, the Boot Hill setup with the Long Branch in it is not in the original place, which was a block or two to the east southeast or so. But the town felt the display had historical significance. They put on a nice show there in the Saloon for tourists, with actual thespians, as far as I can tell. :) Enjoy.

I purchased my 45-70 Shilo Sharps used. It had 5 rounds through it 4 sighters and one buffalo down. Came with the other 15 rounds in the new box of ammo. Went to the Big Timber factory to ask some questions about it and found it had never been delivered from the factory. Every serial number before and after had been delivered. Factory claimed gun was likely made by a factory gunsmith for his own use. Paid a bit over half price for it. Factory said warranty would not apply. OK by me,

Went out to shoot my Sharps today... It was chilly but I just to get a round down range. I must say, what fun that is to shoot! Even hit a 16x16 target twice out of my three shots at 100yds! Not bad for just guessing at the sight adjustments... ;). More range time to follow!

It is chambered for the 45-110.... I wanted something different then the 45/70 (own a Marlin CB for it). Hard to find brass for it, and it truly shines only with the BP, but heck that is what these rifles are built for! ;) Now time to work up a good load for it.... can't wait!

Hmmm. That new fangled "experimental cartridge"... ?

You got it right. The half cock keeps the firing pin safe.

In addition, some folks use a blow tube to get some of their breath into the breech end of the rifle. Helps keep the BP fouling soft. Some just blow into the receiver. Have fun with it, it's a really nice looking rifle.

In addition, some folks use a blow tube to get some of their breath into the breech end of the rifle. Helps keep the BP fouling soft. Some just blow into the receiver. Have fun with it, it's a really nice looking rifle.

Blow tube works till it gets really hot and dry(desert). Then you will need to wipe the bore with a damp patch between shots.

OLG

Blow tube works till it gets really hot and dry(desert). Then you will need to wipe the bore with a damp patch between shots.

OLG

I have used the Hornady muzzleloader Cleaner before in my main match rifles.... Would that work OK for the Shiloh in between shots? Or just plain water followed by a dry patch?

Archived