SASS Wire Forum

Gunfighter Rig Question

Smiling Wolf

Good Morning All. Getting back into the fun after being out for a long while and I'm planning on trying Gunfighter Class. I would like someone to tell me what the pros and cons are of the straight hang holsters vs the ones I see now worn up front with like a 25% cant. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Smiling Wolf

SASS 21514

I wud have to say personal preference. I think 25* is way too much, 9* is more like it... I like Kirkpatrick's long hunters

Mostly it is a matter of preference but there are a few things you can consider. For me I choose based on comfort, imagine that! What some consider as wanna-be fast recommendations are actually chosen by me because they are less stressful on my arthritic joints. Combine the shorter barls with forward muzzle cant seems to be a less stressful arm rotation to draw from 'for me'. As the barl gets longer it gets more comfortable to add more cant and move the pistols more to the front to achieve that same relief. Since you are talking Gunfighter, I would say generally try to keep the guns closer to the hips, perhaps just slightly forward of the hip, and worn slightly higher, though one of our best local Gunfighters actually uses a low slung Buscadero rig. I am not experienced with Gunfighter but when I try playing with it I find that I lose the guns placement when it is somewhat low but do better with a medium drop holster worn on a belt positioned at the top of the hip bones. I use a secret brand name holster BUT it closely mimmicks a Long Hunter, using 10* cant, as far as drop is concerned. http://www.kirkpatrickleather.com/double-rigs/long-hunter-rig-154 I would consider less drop if it were a bit more comfortable for me.

I wud have to say personal preference. I think 25* is way too much, 9* is more like it... I like Kirkpatrick's long hunters

+1

I have had both. And prefer a canted holster. But as CC said. 25? That's WAY to much.

http://www.customgunleather.com/site/Portals/0/gamer.jpg

http://www.mernickleholsters.com/cagf/cagf-ref1/GF1REF1.jpg

I was looking at these,that's why I said 25% Thanks for the help and please keep it coming.

Smiling Wolf

SASS 21514

While I like those. And like the cant on them. They don't look like 25 to me.

But what ever they are I like.

Can't go wrong with either one. Both good makers.

You are definitely looking at three popular competitive rigs, when looking at the three shown so far. I like the 10* cant with my 4 3/4" barled guns and go to 15* when the barls are 5 1/2" to 6". I go almost to the crotch rocket wear when holstering my really long barl cap and ball guns.

I just ordered a LH strong side Tequila holster from Kirkpatrick for Gunfighter! Look out cause Rye Miles is com in' at ya gunfighter style!!! I'm starting out smokeless and when I git real good I'll go FCGF!!! I got lots of time to practice!!!!! :)

Kirkpatrick makes great stuff and they're quick, they said they may have one in stock if not it'll be 3-4 weeks. Not bad!

Rye

Rye, start out with smoke,,,, it will fit your speed better,,, then as you find yourself waiting too much, switch to smokeless,,, unless you're just getting lazy!!

As others have said, it's a matter of personal preference. I like straight hang but worn a little forward so i can see them both if need be in reholstering. I shot GF with a rig for more than a year that had the guns positioned lower (I have long arms). They wore out and I recently changed to a rig that has them riding higher and I am having some difficulties adjusting to the need for raising both arms and shoulders more to clear leather and to reholster.

You need to try some out and see what seems best to facilitate your pulling the pistols, getting them into shooting position, and reholstering--knowing that you will want to be able to reholster consistently while starting your movement towards the next shooting location when the stage scenario requires it.

Rye, start out with smoke,,,, it will fit your speed better,,, then as you find yourself waiting too much, switch to smokeless,,, unless you're just getting lazy!!

Yes I am getting lazy and also cheap!!! Like Old Saddlebags said once, "I don't want to fight with my hobby".

I also figure I'd better be able to actually see the targets for a change! :P:lol:

Rye

I just ordered a LH strong side Tequila holster from Kirkpatrick for Gunfighter! Look out cause Rye Miles is com in' at ya gunfighter style!!! I'm starting out smokeless and when I git real good I'll go FCGF!!! I got lots of time to practice!!!!! :)

Kirkpatrick makes great stuff and they're quick, they said they may have one in stock if not it'll be 3-4 weeks. Not bad!

Rye

I want to be on your posse , this is going to be a fun season for gunfighters at Firelands peacemakers

I just received my new rig from doc Noper on Monday. I can tell already that it is going to speed me up. Not because my old rig was bad but i went from straight hang to canted.

For me it's more about re-holstering. Put them where the guns want to go. I like mine forward. Left more than right. Left lays close. Right sticking out. Both canted. But then I'm fairly skinny. Ask Anvil Al. Liking them bullets!

I get enough can't when I am shooting; I do not need cant in my holsters too.

I prefer straight/vertical holsters. I prefer my holsters on my hips and not my thighs; I have seen too many guns bounced out when a cowboy is moving.

Everyone is built a bit differently (some are very different). My recommendation is that you should try before you buy. This can be the actual leather or a sample worn by another cowboy.

I used Idaho Leather straight hang holsters and ammunition belt but went to Mernickle cowboy fast draw holsters and belt which fit me and my style the best. IMHO, we are all so different that the best way is to try out as many styles possible.I haveet others try my rigs and I am sure that most pards would do the same. Putting out that many bucks for something hat doesn't work for you makes no sense whatsoever.

FWIW, I still use my Idaho Leather 10 gauge shotgun shell belt for CAS.

I want to be on your posse , this is going to be a fun season for gunfighters at Firelands peacemakers

Yes it is!!! I can hardly wait. I've been dry firing like crazy….you??

Yes I am getting lazy and also cheap!!! Like Old Saddlebags said once, "I don't want to fight with my hobby".

I also figure I'd better be able to actually see the targets for a change! :P:lol:

Rye

Shot a match with smokeless recently - disaster! More misses than Carter has pills!

Analyzing, I figured out that not having to wait a micro second for the smoke to clear made it seem as though I could go ahead and pull the trigger without having to point the gun at the target :wacko: Heck - I could SEE it :D

Good luck with the smokeless thing - you'll be back. You know what they say ... :ph34r:

CR

Shot a match with smokeless recently - disaster! More misses than Carter has pills!

Analyzing, I figured out that not having to wait a micro second for the smoke to clear made it seem as though I could go ahead and pull the trigger without having to point the gun at the target :wacko: Heck - I could SEE it :D

Good luck with the smokeless thing - you'll be back. You know what they say ... :ph34r:

CR

Yea, yea I know what they say, I've said it myself hundreds of times but I'm zeroed in on this smokeless stuff right now!! It may take a couple of shoots to get used to actually seeing the targets again! :lol:

Rye, and others, when dry firing, make sure you use a proper sight picture on each target!!!! When I first started I dint do it right and just concentrated on speed,,, next match I had 15,, yes 15 misses!!! 5 on one stage!

target sight trigger, target sight trigger!!!

Yes it is!!! I can hardly wait. I've been dry firing like crazy….you??

I just changed my hammers to running irons and been dry firing I'm lucky that I can go in my back yard and fire at 4 steel targets I have set up, but haven't been out there yet with the new hammers

Archived