SASS Wire Forum

BP Bullet Lube question

I've tried a few different ways to make sure I have enough lube on the bullets for BP and I really like the big lube bullet. However, when I am short on them (as I am now) short of using a lubed felt wad with a regular bullet, what works for you?

I shoot Goex and don't care for APP. I have seen one person dip each bullet at the loading table into Crisco/beeswax mix with a regular bullet with success. I have some SPG, would that work the same way?

Rev

Howdy

There are so many ways to shoot Black Powder.

I am a big proponent of the Big Lube bullets, but I used to do a couple of things before I started using them. I used to pan lube regular hard cast bullets. This consisted of melting the hard lube out of the bullet by placing them down on their sides on a cookie sheet covered with paper towels and cooking them for a half hour in an oven set at about 200 degrees F. The I pan lubed them with a 50/50 mix of Crisco and beeswax. Here is a link to the treatise I wrote a bunch of years ago about Pan Lubing.

http://www.theopenrange.net/forum/index.php?topic=301.0

The real advantage of the Big Lube bullets is they carry so much lube that they don't run out of lube, no matter how long the barrel is. My old pan lubing method worked fine for pistols, for a rifle the skinny lube groove on modern bullets did not carry enough lube for a rifle barrel, so accuracy would tend to drop off after a few stages. This is easily remedied by swabbing the bore out with your favorite water based BP solvent after a few stages. Accuracy will return.

I do not recommend adding lube cookies and all that stuff. When I used to add lube cookies under the bullet, I also added a card wad between the lube and the powder so the powder would not be adulterated by the grease. But I then discovered that the soft, gooey lube cookie was gluing itself to the base of the bullets, causing the bullets to be unstable and fly erratically, like a lopsided dart. Adding the lube cookie PLUS a wad between lube and powder PLUS a wad between bullet and lube solved that problem, but it was an awful lot of extra work.

There are many ways to shoot Black Powder. Some folks just dip the nose of the bullet in lube before chambering them.

For short term, like three stage night shoots, I have pan lubed standard bullets with a lube recipe I found on another forum.

PM sent next.

CS

I have used the prelubed wad cut in half and not used an overshot card over the powder, just placed unlubed side against the powder and never had a problem but never seemed to be quite enough lube in the rifle.

I've got a few days to load up and found my loaded ammo a might on the low side for EOT. I guess I shot more than I thought at the state match.

LG that lube from Midway looks good. Driftwood, thanks for the heads up, I may try some pan lubing.

Rev

For dipping I think the beeswax/Crisco would work better as SPG is pretty stiff and in my experience it doesn't stick very well. Instead of dipping them you could try what I do with my c&b pistols. I take some of my BP lube and roll it up into little balls, and then after loading my C&B pistol I just smash it over the top of the balls. Make a batch of them ahead of time. I think a Crisco/beeswax mix would work fine for this.

Yeah, Rev. What Slim said. I have loaded my cartridges then took a knife or spatula and smeared lube on the cylinder/chamber mouth just like you would a cap and ball pistol. I've even done it with straight Crisco. Since you will be shooting them almost immediately it won't have time to melt and run on ya. I found that lubing every other chamber like this is enough. Save what Big Lubes you have for the rifle. If ya don't have enough I got a few 44 russians loaded if ya can get down here and get em before you leave.

Thanks Bull. I've got just enough big lube bullets for the rifle but am short on the Russians. If I get in a pinch I'll swing by Thurs night and pick up some Russians.

I like the idea of being able to smear the end of the cylinders or dipping. I'll mix up a batch of Crisco and beeswax and bring it with me.

DGL and spend your time shoot'n.

Don't need the 'cookie' either.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/689293/dgl-bullet-lube-12-oz-tub

LG

+1

DGL is also less prone to melt and run all over the place when it gets hot.

With my Crisco/Beeswax, I add just a touch of Canola oil...

LOL I seriously thought about adding some vanilla extract to mine just to see what it would smell like. I do add some olive oil to my crisco beeswax mix

I do use the butter flavored crisco.

I find, when shooting 45s with a touch of grits as filler, it makes the spotters hungry.

:D

Thanks Branchwater now I have to add vanilla to some of my lube just to see if it works

Nobody wants to hear this but:

At times I have used no lube on my bullets while shooting real BP. After a stage a quick cleaning of the pistols and punching the rifle barrel will get me through a match with out a hitch. I also make sure everything that moves stays wet. On a humid day, cleaning my chambers on my SKB is all I do.

Walmart has a huge section of scented oils for candles and room deodorant. I've threatened to make a batch of lube that smells like chocolate chip cookies.

Nobody wants to hear this but:

At times I have used no lube on my bullets while shooting real BP. After a stage a quick cleaning of the pistols and punching the rifle barrel will get me through a match with out a hitch. I also make sure everything that moves stays wet. On a humid day, cleaning my chambers on my SKB is all I do.

You think that's crazy, I ran 30 rounds through one Cattleman 45 the other day loaded with Pyrodex in C45S cases. I used 200g bullets I cast and lubed with Lee Alox. No soft lube. It worked. The bore was fouled but rifling was clear. No binding or any other issues.

Archived