SASS Wire Forum

Back 40 #23910 L

The Mrs. and I are planning a trip to Alaska this summer. Not much for boats so we will probably stay in the Interior. When is the best time to go? What is the best way to get around and see things? Cowboy stuff? Things to do and see? Anything else................................

Thanks in advance!!

We went about 15 years ago. We rented a car and toured the interior(Anchorage to Fairbanks to Tok to Valdiz to Anchorage).

We stayed in pre booked B&B's, Park cabins, Mining Camps, road houses and cross country ski lodges. It was a great experience.

We then caught a ceuise ship out of Anchorage back to Vancouver. You miss a lot of Alaska if you don't spend some time on a boat.

I would recommend August. If you want more input from me. send me an email with a phone number and I'd be glad to talk with you.

Are you driving or flying? Takes about a week from Seattle driving. One very good way to see Alaska if you have the time is to rent an RV. Not too expensive but get your reservation early. After you get your RV, go to Walmart and buy new sleeeping bags, and stuff, then on to thrift store for what else you need. The when you are done donate it back to thrift store. Several freinds have done it and it worked well. It will take almost a month to see all the most interesting parts of Alaska. Buy a book called Milepost, avail at Barnes and Noble and Amazon.com. Everything you need to drive everywhere there is a road in Alaska.

The TV "reality show", Wild West Alaska just had a show that focused on cowboy shooting. The Wild West Guns shop is in Anchorage. The cowboy match the gun shop workers went to would therefore be there as well. Want to get a look at the range and turnout, finding that show would do that. They might also have arranged for a fake match or somesuch, since they appeared to have only 2 stages and the turnout was maybe 8-10 shooters from the looks of it.

That show was on cable here just the other day.

Back 40, I think you should stay home. Send the money you have saved for the trip to me. Belle and I will take the trip for you, send you pictures along the way and bring you back the receipts and some very nice cheap souvenirs of the trip. That way you can enjoy the trip through our eyes, have the receipts for tax purposes and be able to continue working while we are gone. Don't thank me until we get home in case the receipts don't add up to the money you sent me. I might have wasted your refund on guns or something.

Your ever thoughtful pardner,

Marlin

Sounds like you are going to fly there but, try driving and take the Alaska Marine Highway (large ferry) out of Bellingham, Wa.. It takes the inside passage to Skagway. Takes three days. From Skagway go north to the AlCan and then through Whitehorse to Anchorage. From there your choice of stops. Return by road to home. I know you said you didn't want to cruise but you will see some amazing scenery and get to stretch your legs in a few of the more out of way places where the ferry stops to pickup and unload. Did this on a motorcycle trip a few years back at the end of September. Just barely missed the snow but had some great experiences. If you are going to travel in Canada with firearms, especially handguns, you might want to send them ahead by post and back again. That is if you are set on doing some cowboy shooting in Alaska. One interesting experience we had was coming around a curve and finding ourselves in the middle of a buffalo herd. They were interested in the grass along the road and pretty much ignored us. Freaked out my wife.

Thanks Everyone, I greatly appreciate your comments.

Marshall: I think we will be up there a week to 10 days. We really have no time constraints.

We will probably fly in and go from there......................

Marlin: I'll think about that and let you know.

Concerning times of the year to go to Alaska, kind depends on what you want to do. Most wildlife on the highways si in May coming to the roads mostly for the salt to lick. July and August have mosquitoes large enough to fly off with small animals, well almost that large. If you want to fish, there is lots of literature via the web on the best times to fish for different kinds of fish and different runs of salmon in various locations. Make certain you plan to spend some time on the Kenai peninsula all the way to Homer, the Kenai is best part of Alaska as far as we are concerned. Go through the rail road tunnel to Whittier and then take the 60 knot catamaran and tour most of Prince William Sound all in a day trip. Drive the trip from Anchorage to Fairbanks stopping at Talkeetna and the mountain along the way. A trip through Chicken on the top of the world highway to Dawson and the Yukon River is fabulous if weather and road conditions allow it. We have taken a 32 and 40 foot motorhome on the road with no issues.

Fly to Fairbanks in June - longest day light.

* Take the vehicle Arctic tour up to Cold Foot, then you fly back to Fairbanks

* From Fairbanks, take the Alaska Railroad down to Anchorage. Don't miss Denali National Park and you can even get off at the small towns along the railroad

* In Anchorage, take the train down to Kenai National Park, take the tour and then a bus back to Anchorage

* Rent a car or camper in Anchorage and then take the Alaska Highway down to Edmonton.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Alaska_Highway1.png

Then fly home or you could drive to Edmonton up to Fairbanks but you will be back tracking to home

The Mrs & I spent 3 weeks flying to Fairbanks and then down down to Vancouver on a south bound interior cruise. The to Seattle for a few days and then flew home to the East Coast One of the best vacations. Plan on doing it again with whole family

take more time if you can, as Alaska is very large

Chatnicka Lodge out side of Fairbanks has one of the old self contained floating gold dredges that ya can gander at

I would like to suggest, fly to anchorage, then include the large loop, denali park, then to delta junction, homer etc

what a grand trip to make

it is really UNLIKE anywhere in the lower 48 (outside) as the locals call it

I lived in Soldotna for a few years(late 70's). Mosquitoes are more prevalent during May-June. They thin out after that. The rule of thumb is Memorial Day to Labor Day to avoid snow but, you can really stay until late October before beating feet south. I drove down the Alcan in October from Dawson City to Seattle in a '74 Pinto with no problems. Spend lots of time on the Kenai Peninsula, it's beautiful. I hope to get back there in the next couple of years.

My wife and I went to Alaska about 4 years ago. Flew into Anchorage and rented a car and drove up to Fairbanks. We spent a few days at Denali National Park...stayed at a cabin for a few days. Went white water rafting while there, also took a day long bus trip to tour the park and also spent a little extra money and took a "flight seeing" trip....looked down on Mt. Denali...some of the most breathtaking scenery we've ever seen.

I'm from South Louisiana and grew up hunting and fishing in the marshes there...LA mosquitoes are notoriously fierce but they don't hold a candle to the ones in Alaska. Only other thing that took a little getting used to was that it really never got dark at night...only dim. Bring a sleeping mask.

Have fun and enjoy.

Kajun

I have taken two trips to AK. The first focused on fishing managed to catch 4 of the 5 species of Salmon and had the fifth (a silver) on the line very briefly before it threw the fly. It is good ways from Anchorage to Denal (300 + miles) with little opportunity for gas, so top off in Wasillia. The all day bus tour thru Denali is a good investment. Should see a lot of moose, Caribou and bear. May or may not see wolves or mountain sheep or goats. The Kenai is a great place to sight see and to fish. If you are really adventurous you could drive a day from Anchorage to Denali spend 2 nights with the in between day going thru the park. Drive up to Fairbanks spend the night. Take a long day drive down to Valdez, the canyon going into Valdez is beautiful with a gazillion waterfalls. You also get to see miles and miles of the AK Pipeline. We took the Ferry from Valdez to Whittier think it was about $200 with the vehicle (shorter cars cost less than longer) Saved over 300 miles driving. You then go thru the tunnel mentioned above out to the highway from Anchorage down to the Kenai.

I recommend on the Kenai you take in both Seward and Homer. On the way to Homer there are several quaint little places like Ninilchik an early Russian Villiage. First trip i went early mid july to spend a few days before the 17th and 2nd run for King Salmon on the Kenai. The second trip arrived on the 16th of July and and came home 1st or 2nd Aug.

Alaska is huge! It's impossible to see everything on vacation, so you'll have to choose what you want to see. Remote towns like Nome, King salmon, Bethel, etc. will require flying. This gets kind of spendy but some folks love it.

You said your not into Boats, so I guess the cruises are out, but you may want to try one someday, it's a nice way to see the coastal parts.

Driving through the interior is great, but it takes time to do it justice.

The trip I recommend is to drive the ALCAN to Alaska, spend as much time driving the interior the head to Haines and take the ferry (Alaska Marine Highway) south to Bellingham WA. You'll get to see a good portion of Alaska and the last 3-4 days on the ferry is a nice way to relax. This is not cheep and to do it right will take at least a month. (This will require a passport and take some paperwork to get your guns and ammo through Canada but it's not bad)

AK 49ers at Birchwood (Anchorage area) Have WB shoot in May as well a the Shootout under the Midnight Sun (SUMS) in July, the AK State Shoot is normally the weekend following the SUMS match and is held in Fairbanks. They both have websites

Alaska is well worth the time and the folks in Anchorage and Fairbank are great and put on a fun shoot!

I have been to alaska about five times

mosquito's are the official Alaska State Bird

large enough ta shoot with yer CAS shotgun too

when ya shoot at the cas targets, them pesky buggers will be fallen on the ground

like anything, sometimes they are bad, some times not so bad

some times down right pesky

Even if you don't like boats, a cruise in Alaska is great. Went on a small ship, 200 feet long and held 100 passengers. Cruised very close to galciers and up to shore. We were able to get into small bays that large ships wouldn't even think about. Take the Alaska Railroad from Anchorage to Denali and spend some time in Denali. We went to Barrow, it's on the Arctic Ocean. Went when there was 24 hours of daylight, pretty strange seeing the sun at 3:00 a.m. There is also a good Mexican restaurant in Barrow. We didn't spend enough time in Alaska but got a good taste of it.

My wife and I flew from Fairbanks to Barrow. We were there late May to early June a few years ago. Temperature in Barrow was about 30, kids were wearing shorts and sweatshirts while playing soccer. In Denali the temp got in the mid-60's. I don't think there are any roads going to Barrow, at least not open all year. If you go to Barrow while the Arctic Ocean is still frozen to the shoreline you can walk on the ocean. Also a DEW line radar station up there.

Made a trip to Alaska three years ago to view the Northern Lights. I was stationed at Elmendorf AFB, Anchorage, in the 60's and still love the lights. Took a one day polar bear excursion out on the Artic and only saw a few tracks. Got out of the van once to take some pictures and when we got back in the guide told us the temperature, -51 without the wind chill factor. Had all the artic gear I owned on so it was not that cold but would not like to hunt in that temperature. Whatever you do or go in Alaska you will have to go back again to see what you have missed. Have a great trip. Drove the Alcon two different times and it is a great trip, don't forget to bring along the MilePost.

Well, if you come up to the Interior in June you could shoot in our Summer Solstice shoot (June 21-22.) We start slinging lead around 10:00 pm and stop at mid-night for a group picture and then finish up with a light snack pot-luck around 1:00 am. The second weekend in July we host the Alaska State Championship so keep that in mind as well.

I recommend mid-June as a good time to visit as break-up is usually all about over and the skeeters haven't got to bothersome.

If I can be of any help, just drop me a note.

Poco

Well, if you come up to the Interior in June you could shoot in our Summer Solstice shoot (June 21-22.) We start slinging lead around 10:00 pm and stop at mid-night for a group picture and then finish up with a light snack pot-luck around 1:00 am. The second weekend in July we host the Alaska State Championship so keep that in mind as well.

I recommend mid-June as a good time to visit as break-up is usually all about over and the skeeters haven't got to bothersome.

If I can be of any help, just drop me a note.

Poco

something to consider

I have done this shoot more than once

it rocks on mann

great folks

great place

my girlfriend has absconded with every darn chatnikia sweat shirt that I have purchased while funnin with these folks

some of these folks even dilevered another one to me at winter range one year, and that danged early dawn has that one too

a great big hello to you all that attend that shoot this year from

Madd Mike

You may want to consider a side trip on the old Denali Highway (state road 8) between Cantwell and Paxson which is about half way between Anchorage and Fairbanks. The road is about 135 miles long with the first twenty or so miles at each end paved with the rest pretty well maintained gravel. Lots of caribou and moose. I last drove the road in early June and it was pretty good. The Milepost referred to above has a website at www.themilepost.com

If you are entering Canada with firearms, DO NOT be stupid and declare ALL your firearms. Canadian Border Services has ruined more than 1 vacationers trip because they refused or lied to Canada Border Services agents.

A little advice from one who has done it many times...

No handguns when transiting thru Canada!...Ship them to yourslf ahead...

do a "hold for pickup" or ship to someone to hold for you. FFL's normally not

such a good idea, as alaska FFL's cannot transfer handguns to nonresidents of the

State of Alaska. Some FFLs will do the hold for pickup deal, but check.

Long guns and ammo are fine with the Canadian Firearms Nonresident declaration

(download it from the Canadian Firearms Centre online, fill it out in triplicate, dont sign it until

you are clearing Canadian customs at the border crossing into Canada). Fee $25 Canadian

money or credit card, Declaration good for 60 days....usualy same one will get you thru northbound, and back again southbound if you dont stay too long in Alaska. The CAFC form 909 copy is your

authority to posess and transport your long guns in transit thru Canadian provinces.

One thing VERY IMPORTANT>>>Stop at the US border crossing point outbound and get a

Form 4457 on all your long guns. Keep this with you, because you WILL need it to get your

long guns back into the USA going into Alaska, and on return to the lower 48.

US Customs & Border Security will check the gun descriptions & serial numbers and

then sign and stamp the Form 4457, you get the only copy to take with you.

Come to Alaska, shoot with us, Enjoy!

Bp

Archived