SASS Wire Forum

Whats the call...Or is there one?

Manassas Jack

Shooter always loads rifle with one more round than called for. When shooting the string, if they jack out a live one then they use the extra loaded round. If it is not needed then it is ejected at the end of the string.

yup, not a good thing to do, the marshal and smokestack are absolutely right!

pb

Yup, jacked out round must be replaced from shooters person per page 19 of the RO I

24. Ammunition dropped by a shooter in the course of loading or reloading any firearm during a
stage or “ejected” is considered “dead” and may not be recovered until the shooter completes
the course of fire. The round must be replaced from the shooter’s person or other area as
required by stage description, or if the round is not fired it is counted as a missed shot.
The P for use of illegally aquired ammo is on page 20
33. Failure to stage guns or ammunition at the designated position(s) or location(s) is the fault of
the competitor and scored as a procedural unless the competitor is able to correct the
situation, unassisted, while in the process of completing the stage under time. The penalty for
using "illegally acquired" ammunition (i.e. NOT carried to the line/staged by the shooter in
an approved manner) will be a PROCEDURAL. Any targets hit using that ammo will be
scored as MISSES. NO adjustments will be made to the stage raw time
And the miss is covered on page 23 under 5 second penalties
• Each target hit with “illegally acquired” ammunition.

"ALWAYS" overloads the rifle? That's interesting because it's not illegally acquired or illegally carried by definition of the rule. Also, I have to agree with Phantom because an overloaded rifle that is cleared prior to the next gun can be cleared without penalty.

NO CALL... next shooter. But, I question the SOG of a shooter that legally exploits the rule on a continuous basis.

EDIT: Now where the heck did you find that, Grizzer? THanks! I'm glad I'm wrong as it just seemed wrong but couldn't find a ruling (go figure.. how can we still have 3 rulebooks AND a secret bunker?)

the p and miss were added to stop people from "allways overloading".

P, miss, next shooter

"ALWAYS" overloads the rifle? That's interesting because it's not illegally acquired or illegally carried by definition of the rule. Also, I have to agree with Phantom because an overloaded rifle that is cleared prior to the next gun can be cleared without penalty.

NO CALL... next shooter. But, I question the SOG of a shooter that legally exploits the rule on a continuous basis.

EDIT: Now where the heck did you find that, Grizzer? THanks! I'm glad I'm wrong as it just seemed wrong but couldn't find a ruling (go figure.. how can we still have 3 rulebooks AND a secret bunker?)

I remembered that PWB had made a clarification so I did a google for 'Palewolf overloading' and that was the first thing that popped up.

Amazing I can remember that, but forget what that little bump on the front of my six guns is for... :D

It's considered "illegally acquired" because the extra round required for replacement of the one that is ejected was brought to the line in an unacceptable manner (i.e. pre-loaded in the magazine of the rifle). The circumstance cited in the OP was specifically mentioned during the ROC Summit discussions re: how to handle the USE OF ILLEGALLY ACQUIRED AMMO.

= P + MISS

The SHB specifies the ONLY "legal" methods of bringing ammo for stage reloads to the line.

REF: SHB p.11

FWIW - That clarification doc is NOT stored in any "secret bunker". <_<

The website where my archived docs are posted is open to public access.

It has been referred to here on the Wire(s) numerous times, along with the "Shooter's Choice" article published in the Cowboy Chronicle (printed 2X) regarding ejecting a round from a rifle mid-string.

Some folks know just enough to be dangerous.

Had a guy ask me a very similar question Saturday. It was a stage that MIGHT require a single rifle reload. One fellow (not a bad sort, just thinking on his feet without total comprehension of the rule) suggested he might load 11 just in case he drew the reload, he would already be set. I explained that in order to avoid penalty, he'd have to first eject the 11th round, then do the reload anyway. He chose to load only the required 10.

Just in case you are wondering, this was a Christmas scenario. At the beginning of the stage you had to pick a 'gift' bag. If it contained 2 shotshells, you shot only 2 shotgun targets, but after engaging the rifle targets had to do a single rifle reload and engage a rifle target again. If it contained 4 shotshells, you shot 4 shotgun targets, but didn't have to do the rifle reload.

No call...other then perhaps this person should practice a bit.

WRONG!!!!! Go to the blackboard and write "I Was Wrong" 25 times.

North of 50.

My thoughts were on the overloading rule...

And I still work for a living...so perhaps I get a bit tired at night...and yes, we all know that my response was wrong...many posts ago.

oy...

Archived