SASS Wire Forum

At the Beep What Is

Lone Dog, SASS #20401

Front sights and big steps.

How I INTENDED to shoot the stage.

+1... big time... I can formulate the most efficient and elegant solution to a stage . .and the buzzer goes off and I go all Caveman on it!

SC

Front sight!

Front sight!

Front sight!

+1

• 3 weeks later...

Real hard for me to remember to get that off hand way WAY out there to the front end of the forestock on the rifle and use that grip to "lock" the butt into the shoulder. 60 years of muscle memory of the old school way of folding the off arm into a V and "cupping" the forearm at the back is hard to overcome.

My last thoughts are;

Trigger-to not rack a round from the rifle,

Relax- to not fumble the shotgun loading,

Front sight- to not miss high with the pistols,

Start- second breath after I state the line and start at the first impulse of the buzzer.

I get it right more than 50% if I use the above mantra.

Just sayin'

Amarillo Rattler

Front sight! Front sight!

Especially on my pistols. My rifle ain't so bad, 'cause there's a great big piece of deer horn for a front bead...

Hey, there's an idea: maybe I need to put a deer horn bead on my pistol sights, too!

Ok...had a new problem with not remembering to push my shooting glasses all the way up. I was at Siege last weekend, the FL state match and was shooting a stage that was pistol, rifle and then shotgun. I did not push my shooting glasses all the way up against my eyes before starting the stage. I shot the pistols and then picked up my rifle, I had my head down (like it is supposed to be) on my rifle and was shooting and jacked the last round. It went up and hit my hat and then bounced down INSIDE my shooting glasses settling down horizontally under my right eye. The bottom of the shooting glasses was close enough to my face to hold the round in place. It took me a few seconds to just realize what happened. I tried to look down on my shotgun belt to pull out a rifle reload round but could not see the rifle rounds due to the live round being in the way. So.....I just put my rifle down and shot the six shotgun targets with the round still stuck in my shooting glasses. I turned around and looked at the RO who looked back at me and asked it I was OK. After I removed the round from my shooting glasses I told him I was confused but ok.

Moral of the story....ALWAYS push your shooting glasses up tight against your face before starting to shoot....that little opening at the top is just enough to cause you trouble. That makes 2 times for me....I need to tattoo this on the front of my glasses so that I'll remember it.

I also forget BIG STEPS.

Wife laughs at me for taking baby steps at times.

T-Bone and Nuttin are always telling me. Why take 5-6 baby steps

when you can get there in 3 big steps.

I offer comic relief when I'm taking my Big Steps, something about looking like an overweight goose...

cr

Archived