SASS Wire Forum

What Shotgun?

Flanigan Flats

I am looking for opinions and recommendations for a SXS shotgun. I prefer one with functioning external hammers but will consider anything deemed dependable and reliable at the moment. I haven't been having good luck with choosing reliable shotguns. Thanks for any input.

You have several choices. I have personal experience with two of them. I have two Cimarron/TTN hammer doubles. I've had six but folks keep pressing money I my and once I set them up. Setting them up doesn't take much. Recoil pad, switch the triggers, clean the crud out of the action, reduce/replace the lever spring, de-horn the hammers, smooth the open/close and yer done. I'm not a fan of "funneling" the chambers, actually ruins the gun (My Opine). Very good value for dollar. Built hell for stout. Leave the mainsprings alone.

Second recommendation is the Pedersoli "Wyatt Earp." Bring your broker. They are NOT cheap. The gun is extremely well made, he'll for stout, real old world craftsmanship. Same as the TTN except the action isn't full of crud and "smoothing" the open/close just takes a little polishing and some judiciously applied grease. Leave the Mainsprings and triggers alone. I got mine from Dixie Gunworks.

There are several others. L don't have any personal experience with em so can't really recommend. TTN/Cimarron gun is beat value for dollar and the Pedersoli is head and shoulders above anyone else for quality, period.

Coffinmaker

The TTN (reproduction of Colt 1878 shotgun) is a popular "hammer gun". If you must have external hammers.

Otherwise, how much do you want to spend? The SKB and Browning BSS are top quality single trigger doubles.

Otherwise I'd buy a two trigger Baikal.

The TTN is the best hammer double.I had two and wish I would have keep one of them.I have a double trigger Baikal and two single trigger Baikals done by Johnny Meadows and love them.

First thanks for the quick responses.

Colorado Coffinmaker: I have looked at and drooled over the Wyatt Earp shotgun. It is out of my price range at the moment. You are a lucky man.

Everyone else recommending the TTN: I have heard this a great and tough shotgun. The newer ones are not getting the same reviews. The only ones I’ve seen on Gunbroker are full length. What are your thoughts on buying one of these and having it cut down to 20” as well as tuned?

I just bought my wife a double trigger Baikal from Evil Roy. I am waiting for it to show up. They are telling me it will be around the end of the month. Does anybody have any one of these or know anything about them?

My thoughts are:

1. The TTN

2. Just forget the external Hammers and order another Evil Roy Baikal

3. To have the full length Stoeger that I have had for 15 years or so and never use cut and tuned

At the moment I do not have a viable Cowboy shotgun and cannot wait to save for a Parker or a Wyatt Earp. One of these decades maybe. My wife is starting to shoot and I am outfitting her. This little shotgun "Emergency" of mine couldn't have come at a much worse time.

Colorado Coffinmaker: I have looked at and drooled over the Wyatt Earp shotgun. It is out of my price range at the moment. You are a lucky man.

Everyone else recommending the TTN: I have heard this a great and tough shotgun. The newer ones are not getting the same reviews. The only ones I’ve seen on Gunbroker are full length. What are your thoughts on buying one of these and having it cut down to 20” as well as tuned?

I just bought my wife a double trigger Baikal from Evil Roy. I am waiting for it to show up. They are telling me it will be around the end of the month. Does anybody have any one of these or know anything about them?

My thoughts are:

1. The TTN

3. To have the full length Stoeger that I have had for 15 years or so and never use cut and tuned

At the moment I do not have a viable Cowboy shotgun and cannot wait to save for a Parker or a Wyatt Earp. One of these decades maybe. My wife is starting to shoot and I am outfitting her. This little shotgun "Emergency" of mine couldn't have come at a much worse time.

I have 3 Baikal's all double trigger.Very strong shotguns.Have had Stoegers in the past and the 1st one was a good one.The next 2...not s much.I had Johnny Meadows do one of my Baikals and he'll be getting another one shortly to work over.Don't know about Evil's or what he does to them,but I know JM knows what he's doing and does it right.

The "new" Cimarron 1878 Hammer Double is the same gun as the TTN. Same everything. The insides aren't pretty, but they are hell for stout and worth the money. The only "must" modification is to de-horn the hammers or you'll get sliced up some.

Coffinmaker

PS : Helps to clean and polish the extractor shaft as well. They come pre-rusted.

Other hammered scattergun choices under $500 include:

- Remington 1873-1889 Models (I shoot a 1878) These are BP only guns and should not be considered safe if they have Damascus barrels

- mid-20th century Belgian and German copies of British guns like H&H, Bakers and W Richards (No Damascus barrels are safe)

- A good quality single-barrel with an ejector can be very fast. An H&R or Winchester Model 37 would be ideal for someone who wanted to try this. I shot an H&R cut back to 25" a couple of years ago. It added 2 seconds per four-shot scenario, but I felt that there was still time that could be trimmed. At $75-200 for one of these guns in shooter condition, a cowboy can have cash to do other stuff. When my Stoeger finally gives up, I plan to try a Win-37 as my main match gun.

I have an EMF/TTN that's great, but TTNs are getting hard to find and not cheap when you do. The Baikal is built like a tank, reasonably priced, and you can probably buy a new one race ready from Johnny Meadows.

Good luck on your search,

BS

My thoughts are:

1. The TTN

My thoughts.

Why are you wanting a hammered double???

If shooting Classic Cowboy. YES. I can see it.

Other than that??

There are no style points. I have looked on every score sheet. I can not find them.

So unless you are wanting to shoot Classic. I would go with your #2

That is unless you just flat out like a hammered double. And in the right hands. Like Possum and T-Bone.

They can be very fast.

But most are not willing to work as hard as they have to get that fast with them.

I have a TTN and a CZ Hammer Coach. The TTN was not too bad out of the box and the hammers are very closely spaced so it is a little bit easier to palm back both hammers at once. The top break spring needs replaced and the hammer spurs need ground down/off.

The CZ is the prettier of the two. The exterior fit and finish is beautiful. The interior didn't look bad either (workmanship wise), but I think they used a couple of truck springs for the hammer springs. I sent mine to Lassiter and put about $150 into having him smooth it. It my favorite SxS at the moment.

Thanks all for the responses. I am leaning towards the Cimarron 20" coach gun. I tried calling Texas Jacks this morning but they won't sell a gun over the phone on Sunday. So if I can find the time tomorrow I'll call and get one on the way.

Flanigan, unless Texas Jack's has the gun "on sale" you will often pay less by having your dealer order the gun directly from Cimarron. That way he gets it for dealer price and can make a little profit and you still get it for less than retail. FWIW.

Abilene, thanks for the great advice. The local Cimarron dealer is not one of the gun shops I frequent a lot. But I dashed over there at lunch hoping that he would order me a shotgun. The first thing I spotted on the wall when I walked through the door was a Cimarron 1878 Coachgun. Four of them had just been delivered this morning. So I not only got the shotgun I wanted in my hands immediately I saved enough to buy an evil AR-15 lower. Awesome. Thanks again.

Abilene, thanks for the great advice. The local Cimarron dealer is not one of the gun shops I frequent a lot. But I dashed over there at lunch hoping that he would order me a shotgun. The first thing I spotted on the wall when I walked through the door was a Cimarron 1878 Coachgun. Four of them had just been delivered this morning. So I not only got the shotgun I wanted in my hands immediately I saved enough to buy an evil AR-15 lower. Awesome. Thanks again.

FF, you will not regret your purchase. I bought one about 4 years ago, have done nothing to it at all, and it has never missed a lick.

Archived