SASS Wire Forum

Beep goes off but rifle doesn't Forgot to load rifle.

Key Hay

I agree, and a LTO would be nice, but to be truthful, I don't think many clubs use one. Most clubs I have shot at have next shooter check to make sure you have mt chamber under hammer, but thats about it. All are more careful with unloading table.

how many clubs use a LTO regularly?

I use loading blocks/strips. helps keep me straight.

NO clubs that I shoot at have designated LTO's,and iv'e never shot at an out of state club that did either.Just fyi for those that think it's how it's done everywhere.

key Hay old buddy,I think the sun is gettin' to ya . LOL TWICE !! ?? I did it once,years ago,and believe me it'll be looooong time before you do it again. hopefully. BUT to answer the question...shooter gits a re-shoot and must suffer the laughter with grace. ;)

Most places I shoot never have LTO. It is VERY seldom I see one used.

Even in many big matches.

Left both pistols on the loading table once at a state championship. :blush:

And I was enjoying talking to UB at the loading table so much one day, I started the stage with 10 capped empty chambers in my ROAs. The comment from the TO after 3 caps went off with no powder or bullets was "ya might wanna try a little more powder in there cowboy" :o:o

I started spring 96, shoot 3,4, sometimes 5 or 6 matches a month and have never seen a designated LTO. I think it is a regional thing.

Philly just where were the 5 pistol rounds that didn't get in to the gun when you left the LT and shot the stage?

At the 4 or 5 local clubs, and where I travel, I see loading officers assignments. Small posses watch the next shooter at the loading and unloading tables, but they are watched.

CR

Buckskin bag with scenario ammo count - drop bullets on loading table - separate: 5 for each revolver and 10 for rifle. There is no way I can not remember to load a firearm!

I started spring 96, shoot 3,4, sometimes 5 or 6 matches a month and have never seen a designated LTO. I think it is a regional thing.

Philly just where were the 5 pistol rounds that didn't get in to the gun when you left the LT and shot the stage?

There were right there in my loading strip where I'd be sure not to forget them. :(

Hi Folks,

We rarely see LTOs in the areas I shoot. However, we were informed at an annual match, by a former ROC President, that they are mandatory.

I have a system for loading my guns that is close to fail proof. I use those loading boxes that hold 50 rounds. I put four rows of pistol ammo on one side (they, DEWC, are shorter than my rifle loads) and four rows of rifle ammo (TC) on the other side. There are two empty rows in the middle. Each box holds enough for two stages and it is pretty obvious if I forgot to load one type of gun. Any reloads go into my holster's belt. I put nickel rifle ammo in there as I can use it in either gun.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Yes, as many here have said it is the first ROUND not the first 'click'. I have seldom seen LTOs as well, however this DOES bring up another good point: I love to BS and talk tall tales as much as the next guy or gal, compare guns and custom work, but the loading table should be a time to rehearse the stage in your mind, and get prepared to shoot NOT to regale everyone about your last Turkey hunt. I have always said and thought this sport is about the people and interaction with each other but that 1-2 minutes from loading to unloading tables should be about the shooting not just the party....I once shot a match where I WROTE the stage, I READ the stage to the posse, I REMINDED the posse "NINE RIFLE ROUNDS", and at the loading table my ears were filled with knowledge about who knows what as I was loading---YEP I loaded 10! So give the guy or gal loading a break and the respect you would like as a competitor. Just my thoughts.

Hi Folks,

We rarely see LTOs in the areas I shoot. However, we were informed at an annual match, by a former ROC President, that they are mandatory.

I have a system for loading my guns that is close to fail proof. I use those loading boxes that hold 50 rounds. I put four rows of pistol ammo on one side (they, DEWC, are shorter than my rifle loads) and four rows of rifle ammo (TC) on the other side. There are two empty rows in the middle. Each box holds enough for two stages and it is pretty obvious if I forgot to load one type of gun. Any reloads go into my holster's belt. I put nickel rifle ammo in there as I can use it in either gun.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Totally unrelated....noticed you said "nickel rifle ammo." Just curious as to why nickel....other than the fact that it does not "tarnish" like regular brass. Nickel brass splits easier than "brass" brass and a split piece of brass in your rifle can easily result and a bullet being pushed back into the brass providing a rifle jam and misses.

Totally unrelated....noticed you said "nickel rifle ammo." Just curious as to why nickel....other than the fact that it does not "tarnish" like regular brass. Nickel brass splits easier than "brass" brass and a split piece of brass in your rifle can easily result and a bullet being pushed back into the brass providing a rifle jam and misses.

Hi Krazy,

I am in the process of getting rid of my nickel for just that reason. I only use it now at monthly matches and in my holsters as it doesn't tarnish. Also, it is my rifle ammo so it works in either gun. Guess I'm living dangerously for now. ;)

Regards,

Allie Mo

Hi Krazy,

I am in the process of getting rid of my nickel for just that reason. I only use it now at monthly matches and in my holsters as it doesn't tarnish. Also, it is my rifle ammo so it works in either gun. Guess I'm living dangerously for now. ;)

Regards,

Allie Mo

AM...you've always lived on the edge :wacko:

My first year as match dir. for the states. We shot early, small posse (about 5 of us I think), so no LTO. Pulled 2nd pistol - click - click. oops- forgot something. Must have other things on my mind. Last place in catagory isn't too bad.

If you're looking for quality loading blocks at a more than fair price, Missouri Marshal is your man! I have 2, and will be putting more on my Christmas list. Eventually will have 6, then can load up the night before, and be ready to go!

. I just has to say something in favor of loadin blocks but I didn't want to be accused of making a commercial post. Thanks Hoss I appreciate your endorsement.

Loading blocks or looped-bags are great, but where was the Loading Officer? I know it's not their job to count every load in your rifle, but when I'm an LO I keep and eye on the table. ...R

Well, yes, it is their job. This is from pg 10 of the RO 1 book.

9. Loading/Unloading Table Officers
A) Loading Table Officers are responsible to visually check to ensure all firearms are
loaded with only the correct number of rounds required in a course of fire. They
count, along with the shooter, rounds being loaded into rifles and revolvers.
I know it can be tough when there are guys backing up at the LT pushing to all load at the same time. I tell them to wait so I can count the guy in the front on the line, then the next, then the next, etc---
MG

Hey Throck. Was not a problem this last weekend at Shootout at Saddle Butte 2013. Took 1st place B Western!!!!! 14th overall.

Archived