SASS Wire Forum

How many of you (USA) are NOT NRA members...and why?

Long Branch Louie

Am I really riding on shirt tails by not joining? What drives me nuts more than the spam is the idea that non-NRA gun owners are somehow detracting from the preservation of constitutional rights. People shooting, buying guns, participating in shooting sports, and taking an interest in their own personal protection is a good thing no matter what their membership status is. Why demonize people who may not buy into the NRA as the end-all-be-all saviour of the 2nd amendment?

I'm also a pilot and belong to the AOPA and EAA, both of which put out less spam than the NRA. Would fellow pilots, mechanics, and stores refuse to do business with me if I was not a member? Nope. People in the aviation world are just happy to see people fly and I have never encountered a situation where membership was aggressively pushed or required.

With that said, I did renew for three years after reading what was being passed in New York. Guess I'll have more recycling to take out...

I told NRA to NOT mail all that stuff you speak of with any of the life m'ships I paid for.

Guess what..........They don't ;)

THX for rejoin'n the NRA :excl:

LG

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay, here is my honest reason for letting my NRA membership lapse.

I hate the spam I get from them.

Maybe I'll renew someday or even get a life membership, but not today.

wow

they protect your right be bear arms

I dont eat spam either

just deleat it

this begs me to ask

how many on the wire

do NOT belong to sASS????

I am a member, but like Salt Flat, I hate all the junk I get from them. The NRA wine club is a running joke with my wife. I wish they had an opt out option for all the E-mail spam and junk mail.

I copied what's below from a post here some years back.

If you don't like getting all the crap in the mail, email membership@nrahq.org, and give 'em your name, address and membership number, and tell them you want to be put on the DO NOT PROMOTE list. All that extra stuff will stop in less than a week.

It didn't stop it by any means, but it did slow it down.

Agree with that wholeheartedly! :excl:/>

Again, certainly your perogative, sir. I work with a guy that says $35 is too much and what do they do with all that money. I was just interested in hearing why folks don't belong, thosse who care to say. My defense of the NRA remains the same....I disagree with some things they do and all the calls and spam. But I honestly believe if not for them, we would have lost our guns years ago. I joined in 1968 and for Life in 1980, and I'm proud of it. I also firmly believe ALL gun owners should be NRA members. If ya think they got clout now, just imagine what they would have if everyone signed up!

..... and I live in Australia .... 'tho I am a long-time member of the Sporting Shooters Association of Australia.

:blink:..........I thought you were moving to Texas...

:D

:blink:/>..........I thought you were moving to Texas...

:D/>

Give him time. He needs a lot of gas for his boat.;)

Just by talking on our local "Wire", I know of 4 of our members who became Lifers today for the special $300 offer. And those are only the ones I know of.

Fillmore

Looks like no one else will step up to the plate, so here goes....

I am not an NRA member and will never become one because the The organization has way too much political influence that they throw around based only on one issue....guns. I own guns and enjoy them as much as any of you, but i make my political decisions based on a long list of factors that I carefully consider. Gun control is on that list, but my point is that it isnt the only thing on that list. I dont want my membership dollars supporting politicians that agree with me on gun control but disagree with with me on all of the other issues that I consider important.

I am not ashamed of this stance and, while I know I didnt change anyones mind, I do hope we can disagree respectfully.

Noah Comprende

I am not an NRA member and will never become one because the The organization has way too much political influence that they throw around based only on one issue....guns. I own guns and enjoy them as much as any of you, but i make my political decisions based on a long list of factors that I carefully consider. Gun control is on that list, but my point is that it isnt the only thing on that list. I dont want my membership dollars supporting politicians that agree with me on gun control but disagree with with me on all of the other issues that I consider important.

I am not ashamed of this stance and, while I know I didnt change anyones mind, I do hope we can disagree respectfully.

Noah Comprende

Respectfully- you loose that one and the rest that you do probably support will flush down the toilet.

Read the history books.... :blink:

I had to sit and decide whether to answer this particular question or not. I decided to answer, despite my typical preference not to go into my personal business. I was a member at one time. I admit I let it lapse because things seemed "OK" and relatively safe. At the present time, it comes down to the fact that I can't afford it. Yes, I realize it is a nominal amount, but I am not sure how I am going to pay things like property tax, income tax, or even normal bills. I've been juggling bills for awhile now, and have sold virtually every gun that doesn't have sentimental value to me. The only ones I haven't sold that don't hold some sentimental value to me are my SASS guns, and they are next on the list, if push comes to shove. I am scratching my head wondering if it will be worthwhile to renew my SASS membership, given the fact that I shot a grand total of one match last year, and don't know how I am going to shoot any this year.

So, no, I am not a member, and I don't see it happening anytime soon.

Noah Comprende

Actually, you've changed mine. I was on the cusp of joining when I saw your post and now I've backed off. I've always held back because Wayne LaPierre is a jerk and an unthinking buffoon who only thinks about rights and not responsibilities. With him as the NRA's spokesman, I didn't want to appear as if he speaks for me. Even so, the recent rushed passage of New York's gun law in the heat of the moment had me thinking maybe the time had come to hold my nose, suppress the gag reflex and look for a sponsor for life membership.

But you're right. The gun lobby in general, and the NRA specifically, is too powerful and too singleminded to be trusted. It may or may not be true that an armed populace keeps the government in line; the history books also tell us that the oppressed, once they win, usually become oppressors themselves. It's my impression that the NRA will vote against any measure, no matter how beneficial it may be, and and/or no matter how unrelated it may be to guns, itself, if it's perceived as being in any measure connected to restrictions on gun ownership. Health care, lower taxes, more jobs, whatever, the NRA will campaign against it if the wrong people propose or back it, or if it's coupled with, say, a restriction on the amount of ammunition you can buy in a 24-hour period. Conversely, you can get any legislation passed with the NRA's blessing if you throw it a sop, as when Reid invited LaPierre to the opening of a Colorado gun range, and they agreed that the NRA wouldn't oppose Obamacare if an amendment were added, prohibiting medical information to be compiled by the government. Nope, you're right. I'll contact my legislators and work on my own or with local groups, but I won't affiliate myself with any of the national groups.

Noah Comprende

Are you for real :wacko:

You will NOT join NRA because their 'thing' is GUNS...... :o

Tell us then, what outfits you do support.

LG

Having Wayne Pierre accuse the President of being an eliteist hypocrite for having security around his children? Might be a good reason not to want to be a member. Like it or not the man IS our president and leader of the free world. By the way I did not vote for Obama.

I make annonymous donations. Dictators are big on lists. Stalin, Hitler, . . .

It's also my right to join or not join.

Okay call me,

Shameless

I guess a person can choose to have Mr. Lapierre speak for him our he can choose to have Mr. Obama speak for him...can't think of any other choices for this issue at the moment.

For those that have problems with NRA junk snail mail, email and marketing calls I offer the following....

Snail mail

1. Contact NRA and ask to be removed from their marketing solicitation mailing list.

2. Register your address with the Federal Trade Commission to reduce most types of direct marking solicitations by mail, you can do that here.

Email

1. Contact NRA and ask to be removed from their marketing email list.

2. Check to see if your email system has spam filters, if so then use them appropriately.

Marketing phone calls

1. Register with the governments do not call listing....you can so here

2. Get an 800 call blocking device. I did, it works for ALL 800 prefixes and individual numbers that I wish to block, you can get it here.

Kajun

The bottom line to me is the NRA is the ONLY federal level voice taken seriously, not any local, state or "grass roots" group. I do not personally care for Mr. LaPierre, do not think he is an especially good speaker or debater, and the NRA goes in some directions I don't like. But without our unwavering support, they will not have the clout to fight the kind of things unveiled today. The NRA should include EVERY gun owner IMHO. To me, you're either with us or against us, but everybody has the right to choose. Big organizations are usually bureaucratic and bloated. The NRA is no different, but I'm not ready to throw the baby out with the bath water....

Are you for real :wacko:/>

You will NOT join NRA because their 'thing' is GUNS...... :o/>

Tell us then, what outfits you do support.

LG

Guns are my 'thing' as well. My point is that guns are not my only 'thing' and they are for the NRA. Weather gun control is first on your list of concerns or last, it shouldnt be the only thing on that list. It is for the NRA.

Guns are my 'thing' as well. My point is that guns are not my only 'thing' and they are for the NRA. Weather gun control is first on your list of concerns or last, it shouldnt be the only thing on that list. It is for the NRA.

With the name, "National RIFLE Association". What DON'T you understand. :rolleyes:<_<

"It is for the NRA", as it damn well SHOULD be :excl:

Other 'groups', for other things.......

LG

"Looks like no one else will step up to the plate, so here goes....

I am not ashamed of this stance and, while I know I didnt change anyones mind, I do hope we can disagree respectfully."

Noah Comprende

Very appropriate alias

Okay, here is my honest reason for letting my NRA membership lapse.

I hate the spam I get from them. I don't want to join their wine club or cigar club or buy NRA commerative junk. I also don't need a letter every week reminding me my membership is up in XX months.

From the FAQ on the NRA website, in the "members" section:

Q: How can I reduce the amount of mail I receive from the NRA? A: Simply email us at membership@nrahq.org or dial 800-NRA-3888 and request to be placed on the "Do Not Promote" list. This will significantly reduce the amount of mail you receive without affecting important mailings, magazine service, or your membership renewal.

I did this quite a while back. It does more than "significantly reduce" the amount of mail from them; it eliminated almost everyting.

I had to sit and decide whether to answer this particular question or not. I decided to answer, despite my typical preference not to go into my personal business. I was a member at one time. I admit I let it lapse because things seemed "OK" and relatively safe. At the present time, it comes down to the fact that I can't afford it.

Doc, have I got a deal for you! Sign up for a one-year NRA membership for $25 (normallly $35), and receive a $25 Bass Pro Shops Gift card. So your NRA membership is essentially free. The NRA needs our support even more now. Please spread this link to every gun owner you know!

https://membership.n...ignID=bassprowy

I'm a Life Member, and don't get any Spam from them, at all. I made it a request when I got my Life Membership, and other than the American Rifleman,and about twice a year insurance offers, I never hear from them at all!

I guess a person can choose to have Mr. Lapierre speak for him our he can choose to have Mr. Obama speak for him...can't think of any other choices for this issue at the moment.

I will never blindly follow anyone, but Jesus

Who but the NRA is leading the fight to protect our 2nd amendment rights???? They are right out front in the thick of things and you may not like LaPierre but he is not afraid of anyone. In my lifetime, I have never seen an attack on gun rights like we have now and the anti gunners are getting stronger with every mass shooting. No one can deny that!!! If you don't support the NRA don't bitch when new gun laws come along that you don't like. Yul

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

I have been a life member since about 1973.

I reckon everyone of us ought to be an NRA member, annual or otherwise.

I give a discount for NRA members buying goods.

Mustang Gregg

...and the anti gunners are getting stronger with every mass shooting.

When you put it like that...

Noah Comprende

due you or have you ever belonged to a union?

I'm a Life Member, and don't get any Spam from them, at all. I made it a request when I got my Life Membership, and other than the American Rifleman,and about twice a year insurance offers, I never hear from them at all!

ditto

How about we all kick in and get Dern Tootin; and Badlands Beady a NRA membership?? It would $70.00 for both of them. I'll kick in a buck...do I hear 69 others??

If they refuse membership the NRA can keep the money and that terrible Wayne LaPierre can keep fighting' for our gun rights!

Anyone??

:unsure:

Rye

How about we all kick in and get Dern Tootin; and Badlands Beady a NRA membership?? It would $70.00 for both of them. I'll kick in a buck...do I hear 69 others??

If they refuse membership the NRA can keep the money and that terrible Wayne LaPierre can keep fighting' for our gun rights!

Anyone??

:unsure:/>

Rye

I'll go a buck...

Anyone??

:unsure:/>

Rye

Why? If they don't want to join that's their business and I respect that. Just send some money direct to the NRA. I just did.

Archived