SASS Wire Forum

Are your guns locked up?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's no doubt that safety measures can and do deter alot of 'bad happenings' in our society.

We don't leave our keys in the truck/car ignition. We keep medicines on high selves and out of the reach of little ones.

And in most cases, alot of folks do keep their firearms in a good, safe, lockable storage area.

But something we don't know and will never know about. In the case of the recent school shooting, the gunman stole his mothers firearms. If she even had them secured and locked away, he might have tortured her to get the safe code, etc. I haven't heard any details about this so its just a thought of mine.

But this kid was hell-bent on causing alot of harm to alot of people. If it hadn't been the school, it would have been a molytoff (sp) cocktail or some gas bomb at the local mall. Maybe even a kindergarden school. He just didn't care and wanted to inflict pain on the most innocent of innocence.

thats my thoughts.

..........Widder

There's no doubt that safety measures can and do deter alot of 'bad happenings' in our society.

We don't leave our keys in the truck/car ignition. We keep medicines on high selves and out of the reach of little ones.

And in most cases, alot of folks do keep their firearms in a good, safe, lockable storage area.

But something we don't know and will never know about. In the case of the recent school shooting, the gunman stole his mothers firearms. If she even had them secured and locked away, he might have tortured her to get the safe code, etc. I haven't heard any details about this so its just a thought of mine.

But this kid was hell-bent on causing alot of harm to alot of people. If it hadn't been the school, it would have been a molytoff (sp) cocktail or some gas bomb at the local mall. Maybe even a kindergarden school. He just didn't care and wanted to inflict pain on the most innocent of innocence.

thats my thoughts.

..........Widder

You are 100% dead on. Most all responsible gun owners keep their guns in a safe or other secured location. But the fact is, evil exists. We cant legislate evil out of the hearts of man. More assults occure with baseball bats and hammers than guns. (At least thats what I've read!) McVeigh did his damage with fertilizer and diesel fuel. Any body can build an IED. Pretty simple.....gas + glass bottle + rag = Molotov Cocktail. I don't pretend to know what the answer is. The stanch 2nd amendment guy in me says no gun laws. The other side is does anybody really need a 30 rnd mag? I do know that one day every head will bow and knee will bend....then we will not have any more evil in the world.

Molotov, Widder. Molotov. The Russian dude.

I keep most of mine in a safe locked at all times. The firearms out of the safe are loaded and within reach if the SHTF.

wow

are you serious

we lock our cars, and they get stolen and used in crimes

we alarm our cars and they get stolen and used in crimes

we register our cars and they get stolen and used in crimes

just how is it going to be any different with fire arms?????

inquiring minds wish to understand :huh:/>/>/>

hell no

all mine are not locked up

"wait-wait------mr. criminal at the door

I need to open my safe :lol:/>/>/> :lol:/>/>/> :lol:/>/>/>

dang-nabb-itt,,,,,under stress

what was the combination again???? :o/>/>

mileage always varies

I dont mean to seam harsh

but if they mandate gov approved safes

I dont think that will stop gun crimes

Everything locked up in the safe, except for whatever is on me.

wow

are you serious

we lock our cars, and they get stolen and used in crimes

we alarm our cars and they get stolen and used in crimes

we register our cars and they get stolen and used in crimes

just how is it going to be any different with fire arms?????

inquiring minds wish to understand :huh:/>/>/>

hell no

all mine are not locked up

"wait-wait------mr. criminal at the door

I need to open my safe :lol:/>/>/> :lol:/>/>/> :lol:/>/>/>

dang-nabb-itt,,,,,under stress

what was the combination again???? :o/>/>

mileage always varies

All my firearms are in a heavy safe with combination lock plus all have trigger locks on them.

Fact, it is the law in this country to have all firearms stored with trigger locks in them.

Fact is I haven't heard of any child accidentally shooting him or herself, so I suppose it works.

Frenchy

The late Adam killed his mother in her sleep. NOTHING would deter him except HIM taking a dirt nap.

YA'LL SOUND LIKE LIBERALS. Criminals who would kill YOU to get your guns would think nothing of using yer pickup to smash open a safe, and you as a tow chain.

Rent "In Cold Blood". Even 50+ years ago this crap happened.

Guess I haven't seen many 8 year olds taking cars out and getting killed. I just think we could do better in some cases keeping guns out of the wrong hands, especially kids.

I think the new gun laws are ment for older fellows (school shooting types)

I have nothing against, safes and trigger locks, I love the NRA eddie eagle program

http://eddieeagle.nra.org/

in fact when it first came out

I purchashed several tapes and donated them to local schools

responsable folks do responsable things

when I was an early teen

walking home from school

I would see cars parked in front of their house with keys in the dash

I never took a single car

perhaps, we need to mandate good morals

what was the reason for the question?

what did you expect?

I am all about makeing life as safe as possible

I am just not ready to roll over at every thing that will be passed

in the name of ??????????????????/

Guess I haven't seen many 8 year olds taking cars out and getting killed. I just think we could do better in some cases keeping guns out of the wrong hands, especially kids.

if your 8 year old were to take one of your guns out and kill some one

perhaps

he was not tought, gun safety, the value of life, moral correctness

millions of kids were raised with proper training, and leave that stuff alone

in no way am I saying that you should leave

guns

knives

sizzers

swords

laying around

just saying ?????????????????/

All responsible gun owners I know keep their guns secured.

But, with the massive run on guns and ammo now I have no doubt that many uneducated new gun owners are keeping their firearms in very insecure places. Bad things will happen, giving the anti crowd more to scream about.

Yup. Everything is locked-up. Guns and ammo. My guns also have trigger locks in place as an added layer of security. The trigger locks are there because of my boys (8 and 4). They know that all they have to do is ask to see a gun, and I work on safe handling with them when one is out, but they can still be curious, and on the off chance they ever tried and got past the first set of locks they are faced with combination locks covering the triggers.

I've seen children left unsupervised by their parents for long periods of time in harms way.

I've seen parents who haven't got a clue where their teen is hanging out and in harms way.

I've seen parents give illegal drugs or consumed illegal drugs in front of their children,,,, and they were the harm

I've seen parents leave firearms,,,,, yes, that too,,,, out where children could get in to them,,,, and there was danger.

Yes, I've see all sorts of situations that parents have placed their pleasure over the safety of their children.

It seems there is a significant percentile of parents that do not place their children first, over the parents pleasure.

I've seen,,,,, you add your thoughts!!

I live alone now, most of my guns are locked up,,,,,from burglers, locked up when guest are in home,,,, other than that,,, The rest are for CCW.

There isn't one single firearm that I wish to loose,,,,,to valuable,,,, to me,,,toward a criminal. Working firearms stay out,,, purdy ones are in safe.

Blastmaster

There is a loaded gun in every room in the house. Guess where?

Mike

I have more guns than I will admit. My grandsons are safer than most ( other than my cas pards ) of the shooters I know. I trust them 100 percent. I do have some guns available if needed, but not sitting around in the open. I also agree that if a nut job wants to get his \ her hands on a gun to do harm, they will. All I am saying is to take care of our guns if they'r kids or people around whom may have mental illness ( other than me ).

I had a late friend who kept loaded guns sitting all around. The night he died, some us of stopped by. A friend picked up a shotgun and it went off in the living room. Thank God he had it pointed in a safe direction.

As gun owners I thing we need to think about saftey. That's all I'm saying.

By the way, if you're guns are out, let me know the next time you're gone.I'll stop by and do a little shopping

Respectfully

Doc :)/> :)/>

My pops is 87, he's by himself now my moma is passed. On tha wall where his headboard is theres a 4 gun rack. The top gun is a Iver Johnson single barrel 12 an U can bet your azz its loaded wid what ever shell tha ole feller had laying aroun! below it there is a Iver Johnson 4 hunnert an ten UNLOADED. Boff gunz were handed down by his pop an my momas pop. They been hanging there since I wuz ole enough to remember an I'm 50 an that 12 waz always LOADED.

I knew he'd buss my azz if I touched either one, an I don't reckon i ever did except ta hunt. GOD BLESS HIM!

I'd give my last breath for that ole man an his dam right ta leave them single barrels rite where they hang! The pretty folk can say whatever, matter a fact they can stick it up their azzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

A MAN'S BEDROOM is HIS SANCUTUARY BY GOD!

RRR

Mike

I have more guns than I will admit. My grandsons are safer than most ( other than my cas pards ) of the shooters I know. I trust them 100 percent. I do have some guns available if needed, but not sitting around in the open. I also agree that if a nut job wants to get his \ her hands on a gun to do harm, they will. All I am saying is to take care of our guns if they'r kids or people around whom may have mental illness ( other than me ).

I had a late friend who kept loaded guns sitting all around. The night he died, some us of stopped by. A friend picked up a shotgun and it went off in the living room. Thank God he had it pointed in a safe direction.

As gun owners I thing we need to think about saftey. That's all I'm saying.

By the way, if you're guns are out, let me know the next time you're gone.I'll stop by and do a little shopping

Respectfully

Doc :)/>/> :)/>/>

I will be out any time

please feel free to stop by

I really think it is about time that we address education

not the way we have for the last couple of decades (just throwing money at education)

how many schools offer the eddie eagle program

certainly not enough

how about mandate proper gun education in schools along with sex education

they promote condoms, even give em out

why not promote eddie eagle program, at an early age

so that when and if

they encounter a badd-badd situation where they find a fire arm

that they react because of traning like a navy seal

instead of a punk kid that only knows video gun handleing

mileage will always vary

and I am glad that you have raised a gun savy family

may more of us responsible gun owners do the same

I do have safe queens and cowboy guns locked away, wont even venture a count but it would surely insult CBS sensibilities, although it is nobodys business but mine. Please turn away and turn the volume down now if you are easily shocked. I have more loaded guns located around my house than both of the last two crazies showed up with to carry out their evil crimes. If one or more of these evil possessed fokes comes to my house, do you think for one minute that I want him to be better armed than I am or that I can count on his sense of sportsmanship to allow me time to go to the safe?? Danged if I will let CBS dictate the terms of my ability to defend myself, my family and my home from invasion, no matter who the uninvited intruder is.

Since, I have been in the process of moving to the free state of NV from the PPR of CA our firearms are in a fire safe at son's house, SASS guns are in a gun vault at daughter's house and wife's Kimber is with us. When there is a house is on our property in NV they will all be moved to there.

The need for 30 round magazines has everything to do with the writers of the 2nd amendment fear of a federal gov't with a standing army and nothing to do with protection from criminals. The citizens neeeds to be armed with the same weapons that the police, Homeland Security, Army & Marines are issued. The SCOTUS has ruled in Miller that a firearm covered by the NFA can not be suitable for use by individual soldier. The short barreled shotgun the defendants were convicted of posessing without a licence was never judged to meet the test because the defendants (gangsters) were killed before the lower court could rehear the case. Since as a minimum today's soldier carries a select fire main battle rifle a citizen should not have to pay a $200 tax to exercise your rights guaranteed by the constitution, the 2nd & 14th amendments. Also the only valid reason a state has in maintaining a firearms registry is for a well regulated militia. And I doubt many states have functioning statutes concerning citizen militias. The National Guard is not the militia in the 2nd amendment. They can be federalized wo/ the governor's permission. The only functional difference between the Guard & Reserves is state governors are in the chain of command.

P.S. Of course there are restrictions to the the peoples' rigth to keep & bear arms that meet the high threshold of "compelling interest". I.E. Excluding fellons, individuals with misdemenor convictions for domestic violence, noncitizens, illegal drug users, mentally ill and minors.

JD

Since, I have been in the process of moving to the free state of NV from the PPR of CA our firearms are in a fire safe at son's house, SASS guns are in a gun vault at daughter's house and wife's Kimber is with us. When there is a house is on our property in NV they will all be moved to there.

The need for 30 round magazines has everything to do with the writers of the 2nd amendment fear of a federal gov't with a standing army and nothing to do with protection from criminals. The citizens neeeds to be armed with the same weapons that the police, Homeland Security, Army & Marines are issued. The SCOTUS has ruled in Miller that a firearm covered by the NFA can not be suitable for use by individual soldier. The short barreled shotgun the defendants were convicted of posessing without a licence was never judged to meet the test because the defendants (gangsters) were killed before the lower court could rehear the case. Since as a minimum today's soldier carries a select fire main battle rifle a citizen should not have to pay a $200 tax to exercise your rights guaranteed by the constitution, the 2nd & 14th amendments. Also the only valid reason a state has in maintaining a firearms registry is for a well regulated militia. And I doubt many states have functioning statutes concerning citizen militias. The National Guard is not the militia in the 2nd amendment. They can be federalized wo/ the governor's permission. The only functional difference between the Guard & Reserves is state governors are in the chain of command.

P.S. Of course there are restrictions to the the peoples' rigth to keep & bear arms that meet the high threshold of "compelling interest". I.E. Excluding fellons, individuals with misdemenor convictions for domestic violence, noncitizens, illegal drug users, mentally ill and minors.

JD

wow

I would ride the range with you, and fight the fight

well put

and welcome to Nevada

All of my guns are in a gun safe except for the one's within my immediate reach. IMO, no one should own a gun without having a safe place to lock it up. I have a vault in my truck too that carries all my guns other than my CCW when I am on the road. A good safe will not gurantee that they won't be stolen, but it will certainly slow them down, and will stop the "casual" thief.

Snakebite

All of my guns are in a gun safe except for the one's within my immediate reach. IMO, no one should own a gun without having a safe place to lock it up. I have a vault in my truck too that carries all my guns other than my CCW when I am on the road. A good safe will not gurantee that they won't be stolen, but it will certainly slow them down, and will stop the "casual" thief.

Snakebite

wow

and I was thinking that a locked truck

was a safe (sort of)

when I go to a shoot

with side matches

I would need a whole house sized safe in my truck

mileage always varies

I am in no means trying to insult folks

just sharing some facts

good education and good morals

are the answer to everyones prayers

oh wait

cant say prayers

need to say hopes ;)

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

I got a real walk-in safe (out of a bank) in the shop. Also alarms and camera system.

As for the taking gear to matches, I'm bolting a Stack-On type vault into the truck.

MG

JD

I'm glad to see someone else picking up the wording of Miller and using it properly. Somehow it has gotten twisted to mean that only the militia can have guns, but the reality of the wording is that the firearms used by the military should be covered by the 2nd and are able to be owned by citizens.

Ok I have to chime in on this one. Some of you truly know about my family those that don't here it is. I have 5 kids 20m,18m,15f,15m and 12f. My 15 year old son is Autistic, he goes to matches helps me get the gun cart in and out of the truck. He then pulls out his chair, hearing protection, gameboy and portable DVD player. He sits next to the truck. After I shoot each stage I go and check on him. After the match he helps put away targets. He never touches a firearm because he has been told that since he goes to a special school he cannot and if he does he will go to jail. He also knows that if I ever see him touch one he will be spending time in jail. I have worked it out with the Local Sheriff for him to spend 2 hrs in the local jail if I see him do it. I really don't care what anyone thinks of me for this. At home all the firearms are locked in a safe. The only ammo that is in the house is what is in my 1911 and the spare mag, they have a seperate safe. Also a box of 12ga Home defense in the large safe. If anything ever happens in my home I grab my 1911 and the wife opens the large safe to get out the SxS, She stands in the bedroom doorway as I clear and wake each kid up and send them to her. They retreat out the back door in our bedroom and I finish clearing the house. My sons schools belives I have a good model for those families with challanged members. Each year I speak about Old West History at my daughters school and every time the subject of firearms comes up. I have been giving a firearm safety brief to the kids when it happens because I can tell they are not getting it at home or at school.

Sorry for my Rant, this Sandy Hook thing is hard on me.

Ok I have to chime in on this one. Some of you truly know about my family those that don't here it is. I have 5 kids 20m,18m,15f,15m and 12f. My 15 year old son is Autistic, he goes to matches helps me get the gun cart in and out of the truck. He then pulls out his chair, hearing protection, gameboy and portable DVD player. He sits next to the truck. After I shoot each stage I go and check on him. After the match he helps put away targets. He never touches a firearm because he has been told that since he goes to a special school he cannot and if he does he will go to jail. He also knows that if I ever see him touch one he will be spending time in jail. I have worked it out with the Local Sheriff for him to spend 2 hrs in the local jail if I see him do it. I really don't care what anyone thinks of me for this. At home all the firearms are locked in a safe. The only ammo that is in the house is what is in my 1911 and the spare mag, they have a seperate safe. Also a box of 12ga Home defense in the large safe. If anything ever happens in my home I grab my 1911 and the wife opens the large safe to get out the SxS, She stands in the bedroom doorway as I clear and wake each kid up and send them to her. They retreat out the back door in our bedroom and I finish clearing the house. My sons schools belives I have a good model for those families with challanged members. Each year I speak about Old West History at my daughters school and every time the subject of firearms comes up. I have been giving a firearm safety brief to the kids when it happens because I can tell they are not getting it at home or at school.

Sorry for my Rant, this Sandy Hook thing is hard on me.

Does any of your other four children know the combination or can gain access to the guns in the safe?

20M & 18f stay at home alone any time and do they have the means of protecting themselves if perps invade home?

What is the home protection plan when perp is standing in your bedroom and you just woke up, gun(s) still in locked safe?

You do not necessarily have to answer these questions on the Wire, but food for thought for all of us.

All responsible gun owners I know keep their guns secured.

But, with the massive run on guns and ammo now I have no doubt that many uneducated new gun owners are keeping their firearms in very insecure places. Bad things will happen, giving the anti crowd more to scream about.

Absolutely!!!

"Secure" does not always mean "locked up." It means reasonably removed from access by those who should not have access to them. It also means reasonably accessible to those with the right to use them. It's a highly situational "balancing" act.

Sadly, UB's second statement is all too true.

SQQ

Archived