SASS Wire Forum

Is it legal to wear gloves while shooting.

Brooklyn Slim

Didn't see anything in the handbook about gloves.

Here in PA some shoot into November, and start in March. Maybe even in between depending on weather. Handling cold steel with bare hands isn't pleasant for some.

Tight fitting black or natural leather gloves also allow better grip, which helps folks with weak hands, not just in cold weather but when sweaty in the heat of summer.

Some folks love gunpowder so much they might use it as a condiment on a sandwich, or as wound dressing, but gloves would also keep hands relatively cleaner for grabbing a snack between stages. I'm not a caandyass afraid to get my hands dirty, and I've seen western movies where the cowboys wore gloves.

Just asking.

Yes. But not just gloves only! ;)

Page 27

OUTLAWED

The use or presence of any outlawed item is a Stage Disqualification.

• Modern shooting gloves.

I hope so, I just did! It was a mite chilly that mornin! They were laying on the floor behind me halfway thru the stage though. Didn't feel right. I really like those little handwarmer packets in my pockets too. Pretty sure they had the iron in them in 1880! :lol:

Yes. But not just gloves only! ;)

Page 27

With just gloves on, not only would I deserve a stage and match DQ, but I would be a knockdown target to be put out of my obvious misery.

B Slim

Didn't see anything in the handbook about gloves.

Here in PA some shoot into November, and start in March. Maybe even in between depending on weather. Handling cold steel with bare hands isn't pleasant for some.

Tight fitting black or natural leather gloves also allow better grip, which helps folks with weak hands, not just in cold weather but when sweaty in the heat of summer.

Some folks love gunpowder so much they might use it as a condiment on a sandwich, or as wound dressing, but gloves would also keep hands relatively cleaner for grabbing a snack between stages. I'm not a caandyass afraid to get my hands dirty, and I've seen western movies where the cowboys wore gloves.

Just asking.

Best to wash your hands well before eating a snack. The hot gases created by burning powders vaporizes some lead off the bases of bullets. Some of the vaporized lead will deposit on your hands. Even if your hands appear clean wash them. NIOSH even recommends washing your face before eating. Lead is a heavy metal and injesting it will damage your body.

Not illegal. But can you shoot safely while wearing gloves? The only match DQ I have ever had to give was for a fellow ~ very nice guy, normally safest guy on the range ~ who let one off a tad early while wearing gloves. It was on the only stage we have that has a penalty for "round over the berm." So first make certain that you can handle your firearms safely, through all kinds of stages, while wearing gloves ~ before trying it at a match.

We shoot all winter in the mountains of Colorado (8,500' altitude). Nearly everyone takes off their gloves just before shooting. And yes, those handwarmers tucked down inside the gloves are wonderful.

Salud, amigo!

eGG

Not illegal. But can you shoot safely while wearing gloves? The only match DQ I have ever had to give was for a fellow ~ very nice guy, normally safest guy on the range ~ who let one off a tad early while wearing gloves. It was on the only stage we have that has a penalty for "round over the berm." So first make certain that you can handle your firearms safely, through all kinds of stages, while wearing gloves ~ before trying it at a match.

We shoot all winter in the mountains of Colorado (8,500' altitude). Nearly everyone takes off their gloves just before shooting. And yes, those handwarmers tucked down inside the gloves are wonderful.

Salud, amigo!

eGG

I will shoot if the match is on and it's dry. However, if it's in the 20's, my hands just will not stay warm without some help. I use thin, unlined leather driving gloves. They help just enough so I don't loose feeling in my fingers. I have the hand warmers and heavier gloves when I'm not shooting, but I need something else when it's that cold. I practice with them when there is cold weather coming. I've never had any problems.

Buffalo Slim

I will shoot if the match is on and it's dry. However, if it's in the 20's, my hands just will not stay warm without some help. I use thin, unlined leather driving gloves. They help just enough so I don't loose feeling in my fingers. I have the hand warmers and heavier gloves when I'm not shooting, but I need something else when it's that cold. I practice with them when there is cold weather coming. I've never had any problems.

Buffalo Slim

Hola, Slim!

You guys in the Tarheel State have something absent in Colorado: humidity! Makes the 20° temps feel bitter. For us, the temps in the 20's are cold, but not painful unless the wind kicks up. Last winter we started one match at -7°! But it warmed up to the teens by the time we went for beer and pizza.

I'm not saying anyone should NOT use gloves while shooting. I'm just suggesting that trying them out with some dry-fire practice first to get the hang of it would be a good idea. Trigger pull and levering the rifle (and possibly hitting the trigger) and operating the shotgun will all feel different with gloves.

Buena suerte,

eGG

(expatriate of the Old Dominion, who really misses the azaleas and whisteria in the spring)

I just keep handwamers in my pockets to keep the fingers toasty warm.

Utah once-frostbit-twice-shy Bob

this is what it says in B Western,,,

"You must choose at least one or more of the following optional items: gloves or gauntlets, scarves with slides or tied around the neck or bolo tie, coat, vest, chaps or cuffs."

SO can we wear them or not???

You can wear non grip enhancing gloves. Plain leather is fine. Golf or batting gloves are not.

Golf gloves are plain leather? No grip enhancements? They are not shooting gloves??? Where are golf gloves prohibited in the rules?

You can wear non grip enhancing gloves. Plain leather is fine. Golf or batting gloves are not.

Golf gloves are plain leather? No grip enhancements? They are not shooting gloves??? Where are golf gloves prohibited in the rules?

OUTLAWED

The use or presence of any outlawed item is a Stage Disqualification.

Modern shooting gloves.

• Nylon, plastic, or Velcro accouterments.

• The displaying of manufacturer’s, sponsor’s, or team logos on apparel. Manufacturer’s labels on such apparel or equipment are acceptable.

SHB p.24

ILLEGAL ITEMS

The following are examples of SASS “illegal” items. The current version of the SASS Handbook should always be used as an additional reference for illegal items. The use or presence of any outlawed item is a Stage Disqualification.

Modern shooting gloves

• Nylon, plastic, or Velcro accouterments.

RO1 p.26

The definition of "Modern shooting gloves" is generally accepted as having padding in the palm to reduce felt recoil.

Exceptions have been allowed for legitimate medical reasons.

Most every pair I've ever seen had velcro and the Manufacturer Logo on the tab.

When it's really cold, I put on my almost skin-tight leather gloves (with which I have practiced for a long time...since the 1960's when I was "shooting" angles with a precision theodolite, and used gloves to keep my hands from freezing in Montana). But, by themselves, they won't keep your hands and fingers warm for very long. So I have some muskrat mittens that I put on over the gloves until I get to the loading table and then the firing line. The mittens hang from around my neck by a latigo lace. Comes time to shoot I tuck the mitten under the opposite armpit and pull the mitten off. Same with the other side. The mittens hang there while I shoot, after which I put them back on.

Most every pair I've ever seen had velcro and the Manufacturer Logo on the tab.

Yes. And for those that have them, they can easily be removed or covered. End of issue.

To me, this is a common sense issue. We all know that it gets cold and that folks in the era we loosly replicate wore gloves when it was cold.

If we choose to shoot when it is cold or very cold, just use plain leather gloves without logos, modern snaps or padding, and fire away!!

Those that choose to be even more period correct are encouaged to do so - I applaud them, but the minimum is acceptable, too.

Harvey

As far as gloves and footwear go, you see all shapes and kinds worn. Oh heck, throw in jackets into this discussion too. Many shades of black and grey as far as legal/illegal can be witnessed too. But as Brother King would say, you will never see a call on these items. Understand and approve for the exceptions for the extreme foul weather and medical reasons.

Just saying.

When a stage calls for more than 6 SG rnds. I use an Olympia thin leather mtorcycle glove on my left hand. I shoot BP with a Baikal which has s very narrow forearm. I cut off the velcro tensioning straps & it has no padding. Never been questioned in 8 yrs of shooting.

Many that shoot in the HOT climates wear a glove on the left hand at least to lesson the heat of double barrel shotguns in the summer.

And you happen to shoot a Henry you will see many of them wearing a glove also.

I've often thought of getting a pair as it is chilly in the early morning hours in the early and late parts of the CAS season in these parts.

My problem is finding a pair that I could shoot with.

There used to be a gun magazine author that always wore a pair in his pictures as he was testing out the guns or the loads in his articles.

He always wore a cowboy hat... can't think of his name as I am in the midst of a "senior moment"

Does anyone recall?

I've often thought of getting a pair as it is chilly in the early morning hours in the early and late parts of the CAS season in these parts.

My problem is finding a pair that I could shoot with.

There used to be a gun magazine author that always wore a pair in his pictures as he was testing out the guns or the loads in his articles.

He always wore a cowboy hat... can't think of his name as I am in the midst of a "senior moment"

Does anyone recall?

John Taffin aka Sixgunner. He still writes for Guns and American Handgunner magazines.

Archived