SASS Wire Forum

DIfference between World, Nat'l, East, West SASS Championships

Brother King, SASS #69031

A friend of mine just won the PRCA Badlands Circuit All-around Cowboy for 2012. To do that he traveled all year, won a bunch of money, spent a bunch more, hurt himself more than a few times (just saw his rig/trailer parked outside the chiropracter). The money won is equal to qualifying points. Not enough for National Finals Rodeo in Vegas. He's 52 and it's a lifelong dream given up a long time ago, but he's driving all night to the next one.

In SASS we go to every shoot, don't have to qualify; don't get nothin' if we win but a buckle; don't get points to the next prize; there is no hierarchy other than calling a shoot the "US OPEN" or the "SASS World or Nat'l Championship". There's no money. There's no qualifying points. There's not even a silver buckle.

Last year my friend's 2 sons won 3 trucks/ 1 horse trailer and almost $125k team roping. One went pro this year and off to a rodeo scholarship at a college in TX.

Here's what I'm gettin' to: Maybe my buddy Tbone is right. It doesn't make any difference if there are 32 Nat'l East and 32 Nat'l West champs and only 10 make it to EOT. We'll have headers against heelers (one hand against two hand) or tie down against doggers (Holy Crap v Smokeless) in a shoot off for a bigger.... plaque. Then instead of driving all night to the next rodeo, we'll listen to Frederick Jackson Turner or karaoke in the big barn.

So really, call it what you want he's saying... the attendance isn't going to change (I'm going to AZ in FEB- y'all can stay in MN if y'ant to). The prizes won't change (maybe the trophies will be shinier in MD?) The party will be the same unless Tbone, Nuttin' and Ringo are running it.

The last two years I've managed top 10's at States, Regionals, and Worlds. Got the diesel bills to prove it, even a magazine cover and more buckles now than I have belts. All the wood is in boxes.

My riches from all that is not measured in the money, trophies or the bling. It's measured in the friends I've made, differences we've settled, lies we've shared and stories about the stages we'd like to do over. That alone makes this a rich man's sport and different than most all the others.

Wow!!

There is a whole nuther side to ya that I didn't know ya had Brother King!!

Ok so who are you really and what have ya done with my pard?!?!! :lol::lol:

Regards

:FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

BTW + a bunch!!

Good advice.

Although ill stay in MN i love it here (aka i dont have the vacation time or cash to go lol)

Don't know as I'd say that, AA. What I think is that the lesson continues to be on the side of how this whole sport is organized and sanctioned. It's fairly clear that no one is running the railroad, but folks are busy out building depots.

Don't know as I'd say that, AA. What I think is that the lesson continues to be on the side of how this whole sport is organized and sanctioned. It's fairly clear that no one is running the railroad, but folks are busy out building depots.

:o

You got that right. :lol:

All aboard? High ball!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Olen

You mean to say that all of the participation checks I have been waiting on ain't coming?

I assumed SASS was like pro golf where you got paid for attending.

Don't know as I'd say that, AA. What I think is that the lesson continues to be on the side of how this whole sport is organized and sanctioned. It's fairly clear that no one is running the railroad, but folks are busy out building

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

So true:)

"Hell on Wheels", Partner, "Hell on Wheels". :)

Brother King and T-Bone (Classic Cowboys) are on the "cuttin' edge".

"building depots", does that have anything to do with HOME DEPOT?

"It's the economy, Stupid."

Classic for ever,

Ghost :)

My riches from all that is not measured in the money, trophies or the bling. It's measured in the friends I've made, differences we've settled, lies we've shared and stories about the stages we'd like to do over. That alone makes this a rich man's sport and different than most all the others.

Big +1 BK.

Thanks for writing it out so well. This applies to many/most amateur sports/activities out there.

Brother, I agree with you.

I will never be a champion shooter nor make it to the "Big" shoots. But I will continue with the sport because of the friendships I have made at the various clubs I shoot with.

My riches from all that is not measured in the money, trophies or the bling. It's measured in the friends I've made, differences we've settled, lies we've shared and stories about the stages we'd like to do over.

That is the bottom line.

Man that was deep....well said.

KK

Archived