SASS Wire Forum

Big match prep?

Shooting Bull

Between now and February Sour Kraut and I are going to be shooting in some pretty big matches, all culminating with the REALLY big one, Winter Range. Of all the things that can go wrong during a match, I want to prevent as many as possible. One of the things I'm looking at is our rifles. In preparation for big matches, do you replace any of the normal wear items and, if so, which ones?

Don't know about that, but I can tell you if you are rushed getting out the door, make sure you have your meds. It will save you a long drive back home to get them after the side matches. Don't ask how I know this...

On the plus side, I needed to tighten the butt stock on my shotgun as well so I did that while I was home.

Oh, Philly, I gave Nellie Blue a message to give you, make sure you ask her next time you see her! She sure is a sweetie! :wub:

Between now and February Sour Kraut and I are going to be shooting in some pretty big matches, all culminating with the REALLY big one, Winter Range. Of all the things that can go wrong during a match, I want to prevent as many as possible. One of the things I'm looking at is our rifles. In preparation for big matches, do you replace any of the normal wear items and, if so, which ones?

Howdy,

I don't replace parts but know guys who do, I just clean and inspect at least a week or two prior and I take it out and shoot it, don't assume everything is fine, I check all my ammo, I usually use new or once fired brass for the rifle to hopefully elimate the split factor, clean all my leather and double check everything else, the most important thing I do for me is I don't change anything that I have done before, no new loads, I don't try any new techniques, I stick with what works and improve on it.

Thanks

KK

This is not pertaining exactly to your post as to what you'd change on a rifle but I'll share one thing I do before a large match. I'm not what you'd call long time experienced SASS shooter but recently learned a painful lesson at a large match.

When going to a larger match I'll make the ammo for that match before going...not just take some that I have already got loaded. When I make the match ammo I take more time to insure there are not "pow-whiffs" due to no gunpowder. I also check the match ammo under a lighted magnifying glass (this one) to ensure there are no split cases or high primers. I had a split case in my rifle at the GA state match this year and cost me 8 misses in my rifle on the first stage.....never again ( I hope).

I saw in a recent post where Allie Mo has a standard list that she made for out of town matches where she lists what to pack and take. I took that advice and put together my list....I think its a great idea.

Yeah, both Sour Kraut and I have been bitten by the split case bug. I've started checking every single case before reloading them. Even after doing that she got a split case in her rifle once. For that reason I'll be using brand new brass for Winter Range.

Actually Last time I headed off for a Big Match my # 1 concern was my shotguns. It had been 4-5 years since the last cleaning / over haul so I had my gunsmith go through all my Bakal's we were taking. I can pretty well figure out the Rugers and the '73's but personally I don't break into my shotguns. They were full of gunk and my smith said it was just a matter of time before a failure!

Carry spare parts to 'cover' those that have a known history of issue with your brand of guns.

Have those parts 'pre-fitted' if need be.

Make sure ALL screws are good and tight. I do use 'blu' #242 Loctite, BTW.

Don't sweat what's out of your control(parts breakage).

Always do as Sour Kraut sez..........You'll live longer.........MAYBE :P

LG

Always do as Sour Kraut sez..........

I've been married to that woman for 25 years and I am the king of the castle!!! When I tell her to do something she darn well better....................

.......................uhhhhhh

...................Is this on the open board where she can see it?

.................Oh crap. :(

P.S. GFBJL applications went in the mail this morning. Guess who we requested to posse with. :P

I've been married to that woman for 25 years and I am the king of the castle!!! When I tell her to do something she darn well better....................

P.S. GFBJL applications went in the mail this morning. Guess who we requested to posse with. :P

Looks like we will get to see you shoot in a full body 'cast' very soon, HUH?....

Happy itch'n......... ;)

LG

Howdy,

I don't replace parts but know guys who do, I just clean and inspect at least a week or two prior and I take it out and shoot it, don't assume everything is fine, I check all my ammo, I usually use new or once fired brass for the rifle to hopefully elimate the split factor, clean all my leather and double check everything else, the most important thing I do for me is I don't change anything that I have done before, no new loads, I don't try any new techniques, I stick with what works and improve on it.

Thanks

KK

I couldn't have said this any better, but I will add to it....

The fact is I'm getting all of our guns ready for the US Open next weekend. The weekend after, were shooting a match on Saturday (the test fire match) and the were leaving for the Open on Sunday.

I always bring my gun tools and spare parts kit with me "just in case".

I also only use once fired brass (I don't buy new or I'd use that). I then hand sort every piece of my loaded ammo and I barrel drop all of my shotgun shells, I will toss anything that even remotely looks out of place. Why spend all of that money on a match of that size i.e. match fees, ammo, hotel, travel, food, etc. just to have your best effort thrown away over a .05 cent piece of brass?

See Y'all at the Open!!

JEL

When I hit the road, I use to take my main match revolvers, rifle and shotgun. A pair of backup revolvers, backup rifle and backup shotgun. Long range rifle, long range rifle rifle caliber lever action, buffalo long range single shot BP rifle, derringer, pocket pistol, thousands of rounds of ammo and literally a footlocker full of spare parts and gunsmith tools. RV fuel economy went to about 3 miles per gallon. Now I just take my main match guns, a screw driver, a couple of puches and a small brass hammer. Never change parts and leave for a trip. If you are going to change them, change them and shoot them at a match or two before you leave. Anything can break, including new parts. Clean and maintain your guns on a routine basis and you have done about all you can do to ensure a good trip. If something breaks it will normally break while you are shooting a stage and all those spare parts back in the RV won't do you any good anyway. :rolleyes:

Howdy Philly,

I don't replace anything on my rifle unless it's broken. Clean it thoroughly and then take it out for a practice session before the "big" match. I never like to have a 100% clean rifle for a big match. Wiped down and clean bore, sure. But not spic and span clean. Quirky? Sure, but it works. Also, have back ups for all your guns handy. Not having one has already bitten me in the backside once this year. Sorry we're going to miss you two at GBJL this year but Bordertown calls. Maybe you can win the Mares Leg we are donating! 😃

I have everything packed and laid out in the family room at least 3-4 days in advance of departure. That way I can turn around the next 3 days and say to myself, shooting glasses, check, ear plugs, check, back up guns, check, ammo for X number of stages plus 50%, check, etc. This system rarely fails me and allows my wife to add stuff that she might have forgotten.

Speaking of backups, do you all just leave them locked in the car or tote them around in your cart? Probably a dumb question, but I'm good at those.

Grizz

Howdy Grizz,

I leave them in the car, because when the crap hits the fan that stage is over and you will usally have enough time before the next stage to go get them.

KK

Hmmmm, this has all given me a lot of food for thought. (A lot of food is always a good thing. Food for THOUGHT makes my head hurt. :wacko: )

We both have backups for all four guns so I'm starting to re-think the replacement of parts. Like somebody said, even new parts break. The only thing either of us has ever had break was a brand new loading gate on Sour Kraut's '73.

Follow-up question...........what's this "cleaning" some of you have mentioned??? :ph34r:

Follow-up question...........what's this "cleaning" some of you have mentioned??? :ph34r:

If nothing else...clean the MAGAZINE TUBE on all rifles.

No one has mentioned replacing the operator. I know the one your using is worn out and can't hit a target.

And as rough as you are on guns, two backups might not be enough.

BUSTED!! Lumpy -- can you teach Philly how to shoot in a full body cast?

BUSTED!! Lumpy -- can you teach Philly how to shoot in a full body cast?

Just bust his shooten hand. Unless he shoots double duelist. Then you'll have to break both.

Is there a local gunsmith where you are going that will take your guns and give 'em a good cleaning and function fire them? This would eliminate any concerns over worn and broken parts amd you could concentrate on loading, packing etc for the trip.All you would have to do is send them per UPS a week or three in advance and pick them up there at the shoot if possible!

Perhaps this would be a great business venture for some enterprising "GUNNIES" out there!

Just a thought!!!

CBA

Is there a local gunsmith where you are going that will take your guns and give 'em a good cleaning and function fire them? This would eliminate any concerns over worn and broken parts amd you could concentrate on loading, packing etc for the trip.All you would have to do is send them per UPS a week or three in advance and pick them up there at the shoot if possible!

Perhaps this would be a great business venture for some enterprising "GUNNIES" out there!

Just a thought!!!

CBA

Well, local is all a matter of perspective. Jim Bowie is about four hours away. :)

Just a thought!!!

CBA

Have you seem what it costs to ship a gun from a non-FFL to an FFL? :wacko:

The cost to do so is past Mars on this. ;)

LG

If I can not shoot one or two matchs before the big one after replaceing parts.

Then if it's not broke. Don't fix it then.

Something could be wrong with the new part. :wacko:

And that HAS been known to happen.

I like to make sure it's clean and in good working order.

use good brass. New at really big ones.

Check all the screws. And that is on your leather also. Don't forget to give that a good going over.

I also check each bullet for high primers BEGFORE I even load that to take with me.

But if my guns are not doing something to make me think something is wrong.

And I don't have time to change something and give it a good test. And still have time

if something screws up from the new part.

Then I would just make sure it's good and clean. And go with it.

I always take backups to big matches.

Except my pistols. That's because I don't have a backup pistol. If one of them goes down.

I am just out of luck.

if it aint broke then dont fix it

my cody rifles have done me better then well over many-many years

and just as many shooters shootin em

even if you have spare parts

most are not JUST drop in stuff

and still run at AA fuel dragster speeds

mileage will always vary

I find that

back up guns, worked better than

last minute inbetween stages parts fix's

If nothing else...clean the MAGAZINE TUBE on all rifles.

+1

Yeah it's bad to pump out 7,8,9 rounds only to discover the remainder.... disappeared. :blush:

I would never again have a stock mag spring in a rifle. (yes I still clean the tube w/ SS spring)

I don't take a back-up anything. Murphy's law prevails ....... always. If it's gonna break, it's gonna break, at the worst possible time, whether it's new parts or old parts. I do tote a Trigger/Bolt spring, Lever side springs, Rifle mains spring (lightened) and a reduced power Handgun spring. Light and easy to tote. Toting four long guns and four pistols is not easy nor light. Especially at my age. Phooey.

Coffinmaker

For a big match gage your ammunition all of it rifle, pistol, shotgun. Rifle, I shoot a 73 so I clean the magazine tube and spring and replace with very light or no oil ( dust and oil makes crud ) clean under the extractor, check point of impact. Pistol, heavy clean, if shooting 38’s in a 357 get the carbon out of the cylinder get the lead out of the forcing cone and barrel check point of impact. I shoot Ruger’s so I do a protective replacement of the transfer bar that might not be necessary for you but mine get a lot of work. Shotgun a good cleaning, check or replace what breaks the most often. I shoot a 97 so that means the ejector with a close inspection of the extractors. Ammo and springs account for most of the stoppages during a match so those always get the most attention from me. Your mileage of course may vary.

I couldn't have said this any better, but I will add to it....

The fact is I'm getting all of our guns ready for the US Open next weekend. The weekend after, were shooting a match on Saturday (the test fire match) and the were leaving for the Open on Sunday.

I always bring my gun tools and spare parts kit with me "just in case".

I also only use once fired brass (I don't buy new or I'd use that). I then hand sort every piece of my loaded ammo and I barrel drop all of my shotgun shells, I will toss anything that even remotely looks out of place. Why spend all of that money on a match of that size i.e. match fees, ammo, hotel, travel, food, etc. just to have your best effort thrown away over a .05 cent piece of brass?

See Y'all at the Open!!

JEL

+1

I'll add to that, I listen to my bullets before I gauge and box them, make sure I didn't forget that powder stuff.

Archived