SASS Wire Forum

Big match prep?

Shooting Bull

Hi Philly,

We never took spares, except for our '87s, when Hubby shot as he could usually fix anything.

The only problems I've had since then have been my Marlin jamming on the first attempt to fire it. As it is loaded, someone has helped me get the ammo out. Funny thing is that this only happened once per match. After the last time, I switched to another Marlin. So far so good although I take a spare Marlin now.

I've never had a problem with my '97. After all the bad mouthing they get here, I've started taking a spare SG. Last match it was my '87, as I used it to shoot Plainsman side match.

I also take spare pistols and haven't had to use them.

This spare taking just started this year after reading all the "stuff" on the Wire. I leave them in my trailer.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Hi Philly,

We never took spares, except for our '87s, when Hubby shot as he could usually fix anything.

The only problems I've had since then have been my Marlin jamming on the first attempt to fire it. As it is loaded, someone has helped me get the ammo out. Funny thing is that this only happened once per match. After the last time, I switched to another Marlin. So far so good although I take a spare Marlin now.

I've never had a problem with my '97. After all the bad mouthing they get here, I've started taking a spare SG. Last match it was my '87, as I used it to shoot Plainsman side match.

I also take spare pistols and haven't had to use them.

This spare taking just started this year after reading all the "stuff" on the Wire. I leave them in my trailer.

Regards,

Allie Mo

My theory on spares is that if I have them I won't need them. For that reason Sour Kraut and I have spares for ALL of our guns and we take them everywhere except to monthly matches. :)

My big thing with this thread is so much getting through a match, I want to get through the STAGE. Because as you know, if your rifle is going to mess up, it'll invariably mess up with 8 or 9 rounds still in it. I want to do absolutely everyting in my power to try and prevent that.

My theory on spares is that if I have them I won't need them. For that reason Sour Kraut and I have spares for ALL of our guns and we take them everywhere except to monthly matches. :)

My big thing with this thread is so much getting through a match, I want to get through the STAGE. Because as you know, if your rifle is going to mess up, it'll invariably mess up with 8 or 9 rounds still in it. I want to do absolutely everyting in my power to try and prevent that.

NEXT, your gonna want to walk on water.... :P

LG

"In preparation for big matches, do you replace any of the normal wear items and, if so, which ones?"

As has been said, Check first, clean second, go shoot next, check again and then decide what you need.

Having had a stuck tube spring at WR, follow PWBs advice and clean, clean and lube and clean that tube and spring and follower.

If you normally keep your guns cleaned and lubed this will be easy, but do not change and then not shoot a full match before

going to WR, if it rains again (not likely) that will gum up springs, if it is dusty (likely) that will turn lube into

crud (which can kill the timing on your rifles).

Wipe down, inspect and clean/lube (not too much) each day at WR and it will be Lots of Fun!

I use a drop of break free between stages on my 73 carrier (BP shooter)but those who don't shoot the good stuff don't seem to have the need....

Jim Bowie just went through my 73s (after EOT, arrgh) and they really shoot nice (again), should have sent them to

him between WR and EOT...and shot 2-3 matches before the Big one.

Have Fun Shoot Fast, don't miss! That'll keep you smilin"

if your rifle is going to mess up, it'll invariably mess up with 8 or 9 rounds still in it. I want to do absolutely everyting in my power to try and prevent that.

use only new or once fired brass

practice with your RedWing special scooby-d00 knife,

pulling out stuck stuff from the chamber

and you shud do well

pilgram

that was a movie quote

I had a nice group of folks show me at Railhead, that it helps the enjoyment of the trip if you "lubricate" the shooter with a mite of alcohol between days of shooting. Just a touch, too much will get you rusty real quick. :D

For the 73 I have a match firing pin that only goes in for matches. I used to have a match bolt but no longer have that (long story). I know some world champion shooters that used to change the extractor in their 73 once a season. I got rid of that problem by coil springing the extractor. I've shot the same extractor for years now. The extractor and firing pin are the weak points on a 73. I don't own a backup rifle.

For the 97 I have a match ejector spring and a match left hand extractor. I usually don't carry a backup 97.

My Jimmy Spur Rugers I just run em.

As expensive as attending matches are you're a fool not to shoot new brass at big matches. I'm not going to let a $0.10 case ruin months of hard work and practise let a lone a $1,200.00 match.

After that clean all guns and test fire before hitting the road.

Archived