SASS Wire Forum

Trip to Maine

KC Colt, SASS #69404

So the wife is convinced she needs to see Maine this year.

Are then any cowboys/cowgirls from Maine that can help me figure this thing out?

Initial idea:

Fly into Bangor

Drive to Acadia National Park / Bar Harbor and stay at a B&B for a couple of days and see the lighthouses

Drive down the coast to Owls Head and stay at a B&B for a night or two and see the lighthouses

Drive down to Brunswick and stay at the Inn at Brunswick Station and see the lighthouses

Go to Portland and fly out.

I've never been to Maine and am really looking forward to this and the wife needs to see some lighthouses. Any ideas, insights, suggestions are appreciated.

I doubt there were will any cowboy shooting with the good cowboys from Maine. Darn it.

Your pard,

KC

Sounds like you got it right!

Try to join the Green Flash Club on Cadillac Mountain (ask a local)

OWLSHEAD transportation museum is a must see.

And if you like guns......Kittery Trading Post

My wife and I are also contemplating a trip to Maine this fall. Have Frequent Flier tickets on Southwest, think Providence or Manchester need to be the point of origin. Think maybe Boston, Bunker (Breeds Hill), USS Consitution, old north church, Lexington and Concord need to be seen enroute to the north of Maine and back. I am thinking a fly rod will also be a requirement. Recommendations for any must see spots are welcomed.

You say Maine and all I can think of is the Kittery Trading Post myself. If you travel north from Boston on 95, it is just across the N.H. line in Maine. Don't forget to take a big appetite. They have many seafood places around down Maine way. There is good clam shack next to the KTP parking lot, so eat first so you won't starve inside the store. You can easily spend half a day in there. Before you cross into Maine though, there is Portsmouth and there is a lot to see around there for sure.

Boston, I always liked the Peabody Museum and the Planetarium in Cambridge.

You say Maine and all I can think of is the Kittery Trading Post myself. If you travel north from Boston on 95, it is just across the N.H. line in Maine. Don't forget to take a big appetite. They have many seafood places around down Maine way. There is good clam shack next to the KTP parking lot, so eat first so you won't starve inside the store. You can easily spend half a day in there. Before you cross into Maine though, there is Portsmouth and there is a lot to see around there for sure.

Boston, I always liked the Peabody Museum and the Planetarium in Cambridge.

Howdy

Yup just a short walk across KTP's parking lot to Bobs clam shack,place is even more packed since Guy went there Diners,Drive Inn and Dives. Up the road in Falmouth is Days Seafood also good food.

Adios Sgt. who Loves Maine seafood Jake

We spent a few months in Brewer just outside of Bangor in the summer of ’08. Thiers lots to do in the area. We ended up buying a season pass for Acadia National park. We went whale watching from Bar Harbor, had lunch, more than once at the Jack Russell Brewery on the island. Visited the other Brewery on Mount Desert Island and had snacks. We walked to the top of the peak of said island. We also got a “canned” tour guide CD and drove all over the park with it. You have to go to Ft Knox on the Penobscot River and tour both the old fort and the bridge. The fort is neat, but the bridge is amazing!! Back in Bangor go to the Sea Dog Brewery and have fried clams on the deck, a real treat. Up the road a ways on Main St is McLaughlin Seafood. It’s kind of a shack, but they have the best food in the area. Tell Reed that Tim from NV says hi!

If you get a chance go and visit the local cowboy clubs. They are a great group of people. Maybe you’ll get the chance to meet Dan the Man. He’s a youngster that will impress you with both his speed and his manners!! We shot most of the monthlies and a number of annuals including the Great Nor’Easter and both the Maine and New Hampshire state Black powder championships. I can’t say enough good things about Ripley Scrounger in Guilford and Bum Steer in Augusta and their crews; they all went out of their way to make us comfortable.

We were still there for fall colors and from our campground it was beautiful!! We also had turkeys wandering through the campground as well. We made it up north to visit with some of the wife’s family and got to wander through the huge Blue berry fields. We took a drive around Moosehead lake and that was an all-day affair, but worth the side trip!

Lots to do, you won’t be bored,

Jasper

Try not to stop at too many roadside lobster stands, the ones withthe barrel of water boiling on a fire. Too much lobster & butter in one day can make you just a leetle queesy the next day. Don't ask how I know.

We spent a few months in Brewer just outside of Bangor in the summer of ’08. Thiers lots to do in the area. We ended up buying a season pass for Acadia National park. We went whale watching from Bar Harbor, had lunch, more than once at the Jack Russell Brewery on the island. Visited the other Brewery on Mount Desert Island and had snacks. We walked to the top of the peak of said island. We also got a “canned” tour guide CD and drove all over the park with it. You have to go to Ft Knox on the Penobscot River and tour both the old fort and the bridge. The fort is neat, but the bridge is amazing!! Back in Bangor go to the Sea Dog Brewery and have fried clams on the deck, a real treat. Up the road a ways on Main St is McLaughlin Seafood. It’s kind of a shack, but they have the best food in the area. Tell Reed that Tim from NV says hi!

If you get a chance go and visit the local cowboy clubs. They are a great group of people. Maybe you’ll get the chance to meet Dan the Man. He’s a youngster that will impress you with both his speed and his manners!! We shot most of the monthlies and a number of annuals including the Great Nor’Easter and both the Maine and New Hampshire state Black powder championships. I can’t say enough good things about Ripley Scrounger in Guilford and Bum Steer in Augusta and their crews; they all went out of their way to make us comfortable.

We were still there for fall colors and from our campground it was beautiful!! We also had turkeys wandering through the campground as well. We made it up north to visit with some of the wife’s family and got to wander through the huge Blue berry fields. We took a drive around Moosehead lake and that was an all-day affair, but worth the side trip!

Lots to do, you won’t be bored,

Jasper

Jasper

It doesn't seem like 4 years ago you were up here in Maine!!! I remember shooting with you on Ripley Scoungers posse. Had a great time. Happy Trails

Halfmoon Hobo

Also in the Kittery area, USS Albacore, first modern "spindle" or body-of-revolution hull (vs. older ship-style hull) submarine.

Don't Know when you are comming. There are several cowboy clubs here in Maine. The State championship is in Sept.

On the Tourist side. Bar Harbor and Acadia are Very nice ( there is a lighthouse in the park) . LL bean is in Freeport, just a little north of Portland. The Rockland area is nice.

Just enjoy your trip!!!!!

My wife and I were up in Maine just 2 weeks ago. It was part of a week long trip. We drove from PA and stopped in Kennebunkport for a day and spent 2 days and nights in Bar Harbor. Acadia National Park was beautiful. We got the driving tour book at the gift shop and it was well was worth the 3 dollars. We drove the park one day and then the next we did some hikes. Down town bar Harbor has lots of shops. There is a whale watching trip that leaves from down town and also trips on the schooner margaret todd. We stayed off the big highways as much as we could and plotted the course so it hugged the coast.

Heading up to Maine later this month and intend to camp in Baxter State Park and hike Mt Katadyn, highest peak in Maine, like Henry David Thoreau and a host of others have done before us. One must tent-camp to access Baxter, however. I know that's not everyone's shot of rye. :FlagAm:

Wow!!! Sounds like a great place to visit...

All my vacations are scheduled around what CAS shoots I can go to..

But give me about a year and a half... and look out retirement...

I've never seen much of any of our great country.. plannin' on it then..

Rance <_<

Thinkin' I wasn't gonna go NE.. but.. changed my mind :)

Sounds like fun...

Howdy

+1 on Kittery Trading Post.

Kittery Trading Post

It is as far south as you can go and still be in Maine. There is a Cabellas a few miles north in Scarborough, but it can't hold a candle to Kittery's gun room. Biggest gun room in New England. Yeah, Bob's Clam Shack is pretty good too.

If you make it to Kittery and have time left (KTP can suck up some time if you get lost on the gun floor ;) ) try and hit Portsmouth just down the road. Great place to walk and shop and the best places to eat.

If you dont' make it that far down the road and want a nice seafood place - Ida & I love Warren's just down teh road from KTP.

http://www.lobsterhouse.com/

• 2 months later...

Howdy

+1 on Kittery Trading Post.

Kittery Trading Post

It is as far south as you can go and still be in Maine. There is a Cabellas a few miles north in Scarborough, but it can't hold a candle to Kittery's gun room. Biggest gun room in New England. Yeah, Bob's Clam Shack is pretty good too.

Thanks Driftwood! Had a lobster roll at Bob's and it was conveniently right next to Kittery Trading Post. Maine is awesome. :FlagAm:

As others have said, you've gotta visit the Kittery Trading Post.

As Driftwood said, it's as far south as you can go in the state.

Just remember, Maine is, by New England standards, rather huge, so keep that in mind.

If you do make it Kittery, right across the street from the Trading Post is the original Weathervane resturant, some of the best seafood in the world. I heartily recommend the fish and chips!

And I am surprised nobody has mentioned L.L. Bean! (Or "L. L. Who?" as they used to say in Kittery...)

My wife and I are also contemplating a trip to Maine this fall. Have Frequent Flier tickets on Southwest, think Providence or Manchester need to be the point of origin. Think maybe Boston, Bunker (Breeds Hill), USS Consitution, old north church, Lexington and Concord need to be seen enroute to the north of Maine and back. I am thinking a fly rod will also be a requirement. Recommendations for any must see spots are welcomed.

In Boston itself, be sure to walk "The Freedom Trail," as it hits all the historic sites in the city you mentioned, and more. Just look on the red stripe on the sidewalk.

Also be sure to hop on the T and take the Greenline down to Kenmore Square and walk to the best ballpark in the world, (sorry Chicago!) Fenway Park. Now if only the team that plays there hadn't had such a lousy season...

Lexington and Concord (that pronounced "conquered" btw, not Concorde) are great places, but be sure to also swing by Bedford, (the little town between them) and visit the public library where you can see the actual flag carried into battle at the Old North Bridge by the local Minutemen. (I live in Bedford. Feel free to give me a shout, and I'll happily show you around!)

If Naval history is of interest to you, Battleship Cove in Fall River where the Battleship Massachusetts and a few other ships are birthed is worth visiting, as is the USS Salem, the last Heavy Cruiser extant in the world in Quincy, where she was built.

Farther out west is the Springfield Armory and S&W. Even further west, almost to NY, is Savage. And of course, Colt is in Hartford down in Connecticut.

I'd recommend Manchester, then Logan in Boston, and the Providence for points of origina, with Providence a distant third, unless there is something in that area you specifically want to see.

If you wanna come, "in the fall," come before the end of October. Once you get into November, the risk of the sudden arrival of winter is very real. Heck, last year we had a (freak) blizzard that ruined Halloween!

Every suggestion I saw keeps you on the coast. Spent a few days in Greenville, on Moosehead Lake this summer and it was fantastic. One of America's forgotten treasures of the past.

Archived