SASS Wire Forum

For those who played football in HS and college...

Grizzly Dave

Got an odd ball kinda gross question for ya...

In the middle of a game, long ways until the half or the end, and your bladder is full...

Don't know if I heard it somewhere or what, but I've been given the idea that it is not uncommon for guys to just let loose in the trenches...

Dave,

I played Junior High, High School and College. I can't speak for anyone else, but I always made sure I had an empty bladder when I went out on the field.

One:

Too many clothes to take off to use the bathroom. Just to drop pants: Belt, pants (String tied fly - no zippers or snaps), girdle and jock (and remember, these clothes are all dirty and sweaty by any point in the game)

Even having the luxury of changing an undershirt during halftime could be a challenge (especially if you were losing and the coach wanted to yell at you for missed tackles and stupid plays).

Two:

I never wanted to take a hit during a game and pee myself - since I couldn't control where or how I was going to take shots, I could just make sure I didn't have a lot of fluid inside me.

Three:

I was too busy sweating out my bodily fluids to ever need to pee, even playing in Michigan during snowstorms. (one of the reasons I always changed my undershirt during halftime).

Perhaps there are players who have and who do - but a football team is a clique and we were vicious. Any player that became known for just letting go and peeing on themselves would have been outed pretty quickly (even if it was to just make sure they were no challenge to getting dates with the cheerleaders).

Started "full contact" football in the 5th Grade. Played thru High School, two years College then two season for my ship in the Navy. Never in all that time did I ever pee my pants, on purpose or otherwise. Never knew of anyone who just "let go" either....

Played HS and semi pro..never a problem. Go before game then half time. Your sweating enough that ya don't produce much urine.

CPK

Nope, never seen it heard it or smelled it :wacko: .

Nope not in practice or games. Some would throw up their socks before a game but nothing else.

Like the others said you just don't have any left to go in a bladder. They didn't know about proper hydration back then and conventional thought was to make the players abstain from fluids to toughen you up or prevent belly cramps. We used to practice two a day during August and we might get a small cup of water during a breather but thats all. I'd drink a gallon or so after practice...wonder a bunch of us didn't die but never heard of it happening anywhere around us.

Played 3 years of HS, 3 years of college (hurt one year) and 2 years in the service. Never needed to relieve myself during a game except once in awhile at halftime. Played lots of baseball too..was a catcher so I sweated a lot, same situation as I remember. Played some weekend semipro baseball while I was in the service in Texas and it was usually so damn hot, I couldn't hardly drink enough water during the game to keep hydrated. After the game...different story! Usually plenty of Lone Star ....was our team sponsor :lol:

Played 3 years of High School and 2 years of Semi Pro. never had enough moisture in me after sweating to need to pee.... I would relieve myself before getting my girdle cinched up and then that was it until after the game.

Those August Summer Double Sessions were a female dog.....

They didn't know about proper hydration back then and conventional thought was to make the players abstain from fluids to toughen you up or prevent belly cramps. We used to practice two a day during August and we might get a small cup of water during a breather but thats all. I'd drink a gallon or so after practice...wonder a bunch of us didn't die but never heard of it happening anywhere around us.

Those August Summer Double Sessions were a female dog.....

The one and only time in my life that I have ever passed out was during two a days.

I still remember it vividly - The world turned red, then black and then I was laying down.

Never in 10 years did I do it, see it, nor hear about it...With the coaches I had, anyone who did would have done so many laps and wind sprints he wouldn't have been able to stand up to pee...!

CS

No problem with needing bathroom breaks. Maybe a pee at halftime. In high school, the coaches wouldn't let us have any water. Luckily we weren't in an area with 100 degree heat or anything like that. But, we got the student managers to soak a towel with cold water and guys were wringing drinks out of them. The coaches caught on and decided they'd better give us have some or someone would end up getting sick from the towel water. In junior college, at the end of practice they had 2 large water containers with 2 hoses each set up by the entrance to the locker room. When we were all done with everything, coaches talking and wind sprints, there was a race of about 100 yards to the water. Occasional fights for the water. In college, at a very hot location, luckily for the first two weeks of two a days, we went to a town up in the mountains where it was quite a bit cooler than in the valley. I don't remember the water situation there though. Smokin Gator

Southern Illinois gets pretty warm in the summer time. There was a time limit on when the coaches could run an organized practice with the team, so the coach would get the seniors together and they

would run drills in pads to "toughen" up for the season. The coach was also the manager of the city swimming pool. Since we practiced on the play field next to the pool, he would let us all come in and shower and take a dip in the pool. Man, that cool water on your body after being in an oven for an hour or so. I can still recall the sweet feeling.

Nope....never heard nor seen anybody "lettin' 'er fly" on the field.

I can say that I made the varsity squad as a sophomore and (finally) got the chance to play in a blow-out game (we were gettin' blown out). I was younger, smaller (until I grew some more) and marginally "scared" about screwing up. I played defense. The other team broke the huddle and a fella that was at least a foot taller than I ambled up to the line in front of me. As the line got set, he removed his mouthpiece and spit a rather large amount of tobacco juice on the ground in front of me. Then, he smiled and put his mouthpiece back in.

Ya gotta love playin' HS football in "redneckville." :lol:

Chick

I recall as a sophomore, I got to play my first varsity game. I played on both sides of the ball, offense and defense. When we walked out on the field, one of the bigger guys on our side looked them over and made the observation, "Those guys look like giants." He was a veteran. I remember hitting the line and it was like hitting a tree. But we managed to beat them by one touchdown late in the game. The other school was about three times the size of ours, and had a great football team. It was quite an upset.

There was an incident this past pro season where one of the quarterbacks had to pee. They made a towel outhouse around him and he got down on his knees to do his job.

Yup, In southern California I am pretty sure I sweat out more than I drank in. Hit the head before dressing out and not even a thought of needing to till way after the game. After the games, at least the ones we won, we would wring out our t-shirts and see who could produce the largest puddles. :blink:

Archived