SASS Wire Forum

Best Winter Coat?

Major Miles Stone

Original, US Navy issue, pea-coat.

I bought an extra one, in XL (extra long) specifically for wearing at shoots.

I wear it right up 'til it's time to go to the firing line - and put it back on as soon as I get to the ULT,

Expensive, but the Filson duster (with the wool vest liner for those of us in the frozen Rockies) is a great coat...fits over my revolvers...is crazy warm, waterproof and looks period. Also weighs about 50 pounds! LOL!

Wolf Bane

SASS13557

Howdy, Pards,

Military overcoat (aka as a "great" coat). Of course I don't wear my pistols under it, but outside. If the weather is snowy I can switch to military flap holsters. Otherwise, I use my straight draw, open top Miller-Fechet holster on my right and a slim-jim cross draw on my left side. With a 4-button sack coat underneath, and a muskrat hat and mittens (over skin-tight shooting gloves), and cheating a bit with shoe pacs if it is really bitter, I'm pretty well good to -20 to -30 deg. F. If it's worse than that, I'll stay home!

Happy Chanukah! Merry Christmas! Happy Kwanza! Welcome home to our troops from Iraq! Godspeed to those still in harm's way in the defense of Freedom everywhere! God Bless America! :FlagAm:

Your Pard,

What part are you looking to be?

A robber cattle baron

A penny pinching greedy banker

A tightwad storekeeper that does not give credit

A sort of honest cowboy starting his own spread with a few mavericks

A granger bringing the end of open range with barbed wire

or

:FlagAm::FlagAm: John Wayne :FlagAm::FlagAm:

I use a makinaw...I think it came from River Junction. It is among my favorite items. These wool coats are completely period correct and have the added benefit of being a fully functional winter coat even away from a SASS event. River Junction carries these with several options. :FlagAm:

I wear it right up 'til it's time to go to the firing line - and put it back on as soon as I get to the ULT,

+1. But get a couple of sizes bigger than you usually get....the Navy seems to have odd ideas about clothing sizes. I usually take a 38, or 40 if I've been eating :blush:, but my peacoat is a 44 (IIRC, I'm not at home, so I can't check). My home club shoots from inside a heated shed in winter, so the coat of my "townie" suit is usually enough.

Got a walls barn jacket cheap off sportsmans guide, rumor has it Santa is delivering a western wildlife wonders wool pancho. Seriously contemplating Civil or Indain Wars Era Overcoat, decisions Sky Blue enlisted or Dark Blue Officers.

Not sure what we have here in Phoenix Counts as winter but it has been 49 years since my last true Montana winter. Having said that the coldest I have ever been was in Fort Polk LA about 34 - 35 degrees and drizzling rain. Long johns, Field Pants, Wool Shirt, Field Jacket Mopp Gear and Rain Gear did not get the job done. There is cold, then there is Wet and Cold. When I was in the infantry one had to live with it.

I no longer do either. Any time I come close I go home. No sense paying the heating bill and letting it go to waste.

I took a black London Fog raincoat with lining, took off all the plastic buttons, belt and all the belt loops and voila.....black lined duster.

Howdy Pard,

I have two I use in not-so-nice weather. An oiled duster for potential rain and an imitation shearling-lined suede for just cold. I take them off to shoot and usually don't button them, so fitting over guns is not a problem.

I wear ski-type undies; long johns and a long sleeve top under my other clothes.

If it looks like rain, I wear a not-so-nice cowboy hat or a wool one with ear flaps if it's cold.

If rain is likely, I no longer go to monthly matches. However, I just went to our Regional and it rained one day. I shoot whatever the weather brings at an annual match. I do think I will no longer shoot annuals November through February.

Regards,

Allie Mo

I like and have this one: Shearling

Shadow Catcher

Wow, back in the late 70s think the wife gave $250 for my Marlboro Country Store Coat. At $700 to replace, I should put it in the gun safe.

It did work good at 10 below in Chicago on one cold and windy day in January

Depends on how much $$ you want to spend.

Ya can't beat buffalo coat. But you might have to take out a second mortgage.

I used to have a Civil War greatcoat. Wish I still had it.

I wear a blanket lined Carhartt chore coat. Looks old westy if you take the label off. :)

Wow, back in the late 70s think the wife gave $250 for my Marlboro Country Store Coat. At $700 to replace, I should put it in the gun safe.

It did work good at 10 below in Chicago on one cold and windy day in January

It looks damn impressive when you wear it with your hat and boots in the middle of Edinburgh on a cold winter night . .

I bought mine 14 years ago for $450 - still the highest quality warmest coat I own . . . after 14 years -I've amortized

the cost to less than $40 per year already . .and it keeps on going . . . .

SC

The only other coat as good but kinda ugly was the WWII Sheepskin flying coat with the 2 strap buckle Collar. That and the flying helmet kept me warm at 30 below, and expect kept dad from freezing at 40 below and 29000 feet

When I wore my Marboro CS Coat in Chi town was wearing a black wool watch cap. Wish I would have had a McKenzie Brothers Tuuk with a ball at the top

In another life I needed a fine cashmire heavy wool black long very warm dress coat, double breasted with a very thick liner. It has now become my warmest shooting coat. Redid buttons so it is no longer double breasted and it now fits over guns, shotgun belt, etc.

+1. But get a couple of sizes bigger than you usually get....the Navy seems to have odd ideas about clothing sizes. I usually take a 38, or 40 if I've been eating :blush:, but my peacoat is a 44 (IIRC, I'm not at home, so I can't check). My home club shoots from inside a heated shed in winter, so the coat of my "townie" suit is usually enough.

+3 on the USN Peacoat. I still wear the one they issued to me in 1967. Get one of the older ones from WWl through the Vietnam era if you can. The current issue is a poor imitation of the older version. IMHO. :)

Depends on how much $$ you want to spend.

Ya can't beat buffalo coat. But you might have to take out a second mortgage.

I used to have a Civil War greatcoat. Wish I still had it.

I wear a blanket lined Carhartt chore coat. Looks old westy if you take the label off. :)

+1 for the Chore Coat.

Roy

I still have a couple. The one I liked was the (Great Coat). Now that we live in the warm weather it is just in waiting to get off the hanger. But style points run amuck with the period correct and warm coat. NBC

Depends on how much you want to spend...

I got this underneath the Christmas tree: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=504805

I am taking the wife to NYC for New Years - so we'll see how well this 12 pound wool beast keeps me (& her ;) ) Warm.

~Will Blastem

:FlagAm:

When it's really cold I wear a Whitney point capote that my wife got me when I was muzzle loading. With a pair of blanket leggings over my boots I stay very toasty even up here in Montana.

Expensive, but the Filson duster (with the wool vest liner for those of us in the frozen Rockies) is a great coat...fits over my revolvers...is crazy warm, waterproof and looks period. Also weighs about 50 pounds! LOL!

Wolf Bane

SASS13557

What I wear 'cept I couldn't afford the liner. Worn it with a wool sweater at 25 degrees and stayed warm.

Archived