SASS Wire Forum

Here's a black powder question for you.

Noz

I had a customer come in yesterday that is slightly interested in SASS. I showed him some of Grizzly Dave's video from Coming at Cha. Several of the videos showed black powder shooters.

Question: What is your estimation of all black powder shooters in SASS?

Our home club runs around 8-10%

How about yours.

We either have none or one GOFWG at the Canadian River Regulators. Average shooters on second Saturday is two dozen. On third Saturday is one dozen. On fifth Saturday maybe two/thirds of a dozen.

At the Pampa Cowboy Shooters on 4th Saturday we only get a half to a dozen shooters. BP shooters is either zero or the one same GOFWG if he shows.

My estimation of all black powder shooters in SASS is that they are VERY FINE pards and pardettes. :)

Now, back to what I think you were asking, I've seen about 10% at annuals, regionals and major matches like EoT and WR. Last year, BP shooter percentages (in the dedicated black powder categories (FC, FCD, FR)) ran 14% and 13% respectively. Perhaps the EoT number was higher in 2011 than I remember from 2010, because Frontier Cart Gunfighter was offered! But, I have been seeing a gradual increase in BP shooter numbers over the last few years.

Due to higher cost of BP compared to smokeless, I see very low percentages of BP shooting at monthly matches. When it comes time for a big match, though, out comes that good ol smokey stuff. So, depends upon what you are really asking about.

Good luck, GJ

8 to 10% at the places I shoot for the monthly shoots is typical.

Our annual, formerly known as the John Wayne Shootout, for the last three years in BP categories is 12%, 10%, and 15%

This is only anecdotal, but I have been shooting mainly Frontier Cartridge Duelist (except for a few WB matches) for the last 7 or 8 years, and I can tell you that I am probably the only one shooting the True Powder at any match I attend. There might be a couple of guys using the BP substitutes but very few real BP shooters. Even counting the substitutes there are never more than 4 or 5 at any match that might draw 40 or 50 shooters. Based on that, I would think 10% would be a fair guess. It also seems that several of those with whom I have shot the smokey stuff regularly in the last few years have dropped the habit lately. Not sure why...maybe just too much trouble. The cost doesn't really stand in my way because it seems I can't get to more than one match a month anyway....some times less...so I am not expending that many rounds. I still feel it is the "correct" powder based on the time frame of our game and will continue to use it just becaue I am stubborn about history. I find it a lot easier to load (just fill the case) and I clean my guns after a match whether I am shooting BP or smokeless in a WB match. Cleans up easy with soap and hot water. No big deal. Hope this answers your question.

I shoot at 2 clubs in Jersey on a monthly basis:

Club A ... 8 out of 20 on the regular posse I shoot with, with 10 or so in total.

Club B ... I'm It!

For our State Matches, ~ 125 attendees each year:

Shooters on the Posses - 8

Shotgun Skeet and Trap - Zero

Long Range Pistol and Rifle - Just me again!

The other speed matches - Zero

Interesting, folks LOVE the Smoke but the common reason why they don't shoot BP - cleaning the firearms complaint. IMHO, just goes to prove that smokeless CAS shooters are lazy and don't clean the bores of their firearms after each match

Howdy

I have absolutely no figures to back it up, but I would suspect something like 8% - 10% is a good guess for most of the regular monthly club matches I attend. Probably a bit higher at the big matches like Garrison Joe says.

It seems to be in the 8% to 12% range at the clubs I shoot with.

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee

Heee Haaa .. There is NOT enough BP shooters in Michigan.. :mellow: I've takein to going out of state ta shoot with other Black Powder shooters.. :o I like comeing in first but if your the only one shooting whats the point.. :huh: Next year I plan on shooting more smokeless .. and or just shoot BP in the duelist or senior duelist.. :o

Heeee Haaa Crazy Mingo :wacko::wacko::FlagAm:

Howdy

I have absolutely no figures to back it up, but I would suspect something like 8% - 10% is a good guess for most of the regular monthly club matches I attend. Probably a bit higher at the big matches like Garrison Joe says.

At the Outlaw Trail - 13% in BP catagories. Local matches - less than 10%. This is consistent with DJ and GJ. The ladies of the purple feather are a dedicated lot and turn out for the big matches. I hope the TGs don't take their beloved BP categories from them.

The Cowboys host two big annual matches each year. May's Ambush at Mill Creek hosted 223 shooters and had 22 entries (10%) in black powder categories. In October we had 237 shooters participate in this year's Gunfight Behind the Jersey Lilly. There were 27 entries in the black powder categories. That's 11.4% of the total. :FlagAm:

Just checked CaC and it looks like the black powder shooters totaled about 13%.

To further break this down:

4% of all shooters were shooting cap and ball.

2% were ladies.

That frankly is a little lower than I would have guessed. I thought we were closer to 20%

Quick scan of the NC State Match 2011....154 total, 6 in BP categories, Only 26 at NC BP match total. Most not normally BP folks.

Kinda low considering past years numbers. Overall, I'd say normally about 8-10% is average at most clubs I shoot with.

Some of the finest people I know in this sport are BP shooters. The word "Diehard" comes to mind and while the numbers aren't near what the smokeless are we see more and more shooting BP. They are strong competitors but more importantly they are trying to capture the essence of cowboy shooting.

Just my too scents....

KK

The Cowboys host two big annual matches each year. May's Ambush at Mill Creek hosted 223 shooters and had 22 entries (10%) in black powder categories. In October we had 237 shooters participate in this year's Gunfight Behind the Jersey Lilly. There were 27 entries in the black powder categories. That's 11.4% of the total. :FlagAm:

Shipped my holsters and cowboy gear this week to Cali! Lookin' to shoot with y'all on the 27th - yeeee haw!!!!

I ALWAYS ahoot BP, however I am blessed to have some pards out there loanin' me some irons so I will shoot ANYTHING - just happy to shoot :D

Sorry about bein' OT, but Ivory Jack's post got me pumped up!!

GG ~ :FlagAm:

If some of you older guys move side, us younger guys could shot black powder...

Texas Lizard

Working that direction still learning the ropes...

15 out of 152 .... 10% at Ruckus in the Nations...

...we are w**kin' hard to encourage folks to come to the dark side....

Certainly more than 1% but less than 99. ;)

I don't care if they remove BP categories. It won't stop me.

It's Cowboy. :D:P

Archived