SASS Wire Forum

revolver suggestions needed

evil dogooder

Well I've done and had it with my ruger blackhawk. This is the third time this summer the transfer bar as snapped. I'm sick of all the bull sending it back and fourth. I've only fired 5 rounds through it this summer no dry firing.

So anyway I'm looking for a new hunting rig. Any suggestions? Calibers I'm open to are 357 and 45 lc as that is what I already have. Not interested in 44 mag. Just dont care for it. I had one and sold it first season i used it. Don't care about barrel length. Double or single action doesn't matter I use iron sights so it doesn't have to have scope mounts. Ill be trading the new blackhawk in on it with maybe a little cash on the side so that is the price I'm looking for.

Any help is welcome

Thanks

Evil dogooder

When you get your lawyer gun with the Ruger bible written on the side of the barrel, SELL IT. Buy a Ruger 3 screw Blackhawk from

1973 or earlier and you won't have to keep sending it back to the Factory for repair. If you've never handled one, go to a gun show and look around for one. It works just like a Colt for loading and unloading, has a quarter cock, half cock and NO transfer bar.

They can be found on Gunbroker and Guns America also. You'll be glad you did. Just sayin'

Big Jake

For a hunting gun, I have only 1 Favorite that has proven it'self many times over. It is the Smith and Wesson Model 57 in 41 Mag., w/6 inch barrel. This gun has all the power of a 44 Mag. downrange, without all the savage recoil of the 44. It is a very accurate caliber and retains that accuracy when reasonably downloaded, if you want tamer loads.

I know you specified 357 or 45.LC, but for me this gun beats the fire out of either of those. Has the capability of out performing either of the ones you specified, yet can be tamed down to be as calm as the 357 without any problem. Just something for you to consider.

Of course Big Jakes suggestion to purchace an earlier model 3 screw Ruger Blackhawk will cure your problem too, and that may/might be the better way for you to go. By the way, those were made in .41 Mag. also.

RBK

I'm with Big Jake on this one, the old 3-screw Blackhawks are nearly indestructible. Aside from them getting to be slightly expensive, I personally don't feel there's a finer single-action for sporting purpose. No feelings one way or the other about the new ones, never owned one. Sorry to hear you're having trouble at any rate. I know that can be frustrating, especially from a company with a reputation for tough revolvers.

If you're looking to keep cost down, and don't mind a double-action, the GP100 6" falls into that category as well. I had two of the GP100's before taking them to camp for opening day. Little did I know revolver hunting would cost me one! My cousin borrowed one, and after 3 days hunting (and two deer!) bought it from me on the spot. They're nice for the rough country hunting we do, since they're easy to replace should disaster befall us. More than one handgun has found it's way to the bottom of a cliff up there. The full underlug design makes a world of difference as well.

Naturally, S&W makes a fine revolver, if you don't mind the price. For what I use them for, I never talked myself into hunting with one, but there's little better than a Smith for quality, outside a Python. I just can't justify that much expense for a hunting revolver.

Big Jake has your answer, go 3 screw and live with it forever, my oldest is 1958, never has failed me, will also add my dislike for the transfer bar, no need for it at all, stick with a 3 screw, good luck. Chief

Big Jake has your answer, go 3 screw and live with it forever, my oldest is 1958, never has failed me, will also add my dislike for the transfer bar, no need for it at all, stick with a 3 screw, good luck. Chief

Just be sure the one you buy hasn't been back to Ruger for the transfer bar modification. Many of the older 3 screw models have been modified.

RBK

Having the transfer bar snap three times in one summer tells me something is wrong. That stuff just doesn't normally happen. I also prefer the three-screw model, but haven't had any trouble with my newer Blackhawks or Vaqueros either.

Here's another "somewhat over-the-top" suggestion for a hunting handgun... I had an Interarms Virginia Dragoon in .45 Colt. It was built on a .44 magnum frame with a 7½ barrel. I gave it to one of my sons because he was positively in love with the thing. They don't make them anymore (I think this one was built in 1981), but it is one accurate shooting machine. From what I've read, Interarms made them originally to compete with the Ruger Super Blackhawk as a hunting revolver, but in order to continue putting the kind of quality into them that they were, they found that it was cost prohibitive and still remain competitive. Like I said, it was as accurate as heck and with the heavy duty frame, you could put some pretty hot loads through it.

Howdy

Where are you guys finding all these 3 screws? I dunno about where you live, but they are scarce as hen's teeth around here. I have been looking for one for years and have not come across one in these parts. I just don't think telling somebody to buy a 3 screw is very practical advice, they don't grow on trees.

Frankly, I agree. There is something wrong if you are breaking that many transfer bars, the gun should not be doing that. I have owned a whole bunch of Rugers for years and have never broken a transfer bar.

Find a smith who knows about 'transfer bar pinch', and your problems will be over.

Howdy

Where are you guys finding all these 3 screws? I dunno about where you live, but they are scarce as hen's teeth around here. I have been looking for one for years and have not come across one in these parts. I just don't think telling somebody to buy a 3 screw is very practical advice, they don't grow on trees.

Frankly, I agree. There is something wrong if you are breaking that many transfer bars, the gun should not be doing that. I have owned a whole bunch of Rugers for years and have never broken a transfer bar.

Find a smith who knows about 'transfer bar pinch', and your problems will be over.

Howdy Driftwood. We here in So.Cal have Gun shows almost every month in Ventura Co. San Bernadino Co. Riverside Co. Orange Co.

San Diego Co. But not L.A.Co. anymore. Every gun show I've been to in the last 30 years have a Plethora of 3 screw Blackhawks.

They are in Hock shops, for sale by Cowboy Action Shooters, Friends, and the Internet. If someone WANTS one, they can be found.

If you want 1 or 10, fly out here and bring money. I will show/help you get them. What kind do you want. A friend that lives down the street has a 1971 Blackhawk in .45 Colt with 7 1/2 barrel-unfired- for sale. I'm sorry you can't find them in Mass, but they are out here. Call Lead Despencer @ Lock,Stock, and Barrel investments. He's next door to IROT in Simi Valley. He'll help you. I just found this. http://www.gunsinternational.com/RUGER-BLACKHAWK-3-SCREW-357MAG.cfm?gun_id=100196111 and this. http://www.gunsinternational.com/Ruger-Super-Blackhawk-3-Screw-Mfg-d-1962-44-Magnum.cfm?gun_id=100187458 one more. http://www.gunsinternational.com/Ruger-Super-Blackhawk-3-Screw-44-Mag.cfm?gun_id=100191649

Big Jake

So many issues in this thread to respond to.

To the original poster,,,, what are you hunting?

I agree with the others that say there is something else awrong with your Ruger to be breaking so many transfer bars so frequently. I have owned many a Ruger that are post 3-screw and have never broken a transfer bar, including my Vaqueros that I shoot for CAS. I can not even venture a guess how many rounds of ammo I have shot through all the Rugers with transfer bars over the last 30 years w/o breakage.

I have never owned a 3-screw, I am sure they are excellent firearms but I wouldn't pay a premium for one over a post 3-screw. Just saying.

I suppose if you want the very best single action revolver, then look at one of those Freedom Arms manufactured in Freedom Wyoming in whatever caliber and barrel length trips your trigger.

Blastmaster

edit: Reread the OP and he was only interested in 357 or 45LC caliber. Best the OP looks up the laws within his state for hunting with handguns. Some states have limiting caliber size and others have minimum power factors of which may or may not tell you which caliber of the two would qualify. Then again, perhaps his state laws have no restrictions.

I live in mn and will be using it for deer. Minnesota is pretty easy no barrel lengths required and as long as its a centerfire its ok. I had to double check that with a friend who works for the dnr though.

Id love to get a freedom arms but they are way out of my price range.

Every time I send it to ruger they just replace the transfer bar test fire it and send it back. The first time they also switched out the hammer spring to one i have to grunt to pull back. The gun is stock no mods or anything. I've tried corresponding with them to try to figure out what was wrong but all they did was say sorry for the problem and it must have been a faulty part.

I think rugers just hate me ha ha I have three currently just traded of three others. Except or the two matched consecutive #'d ones I just traded off they have all gone back at least once. Broken transfer bars, broken hammer and a screw that wasn't threaded in correctly and had to be drilled out by them. I love rugers looks but I just think its time to look for a different hunting rig.

The reason for 357/45 is because I own them already and know they work for deer hogs and varmints that pester my dads farm coyotes foxes skunks stuff like that. I had a super blackhawk in 44 mag and it didn't really impress me much the 45lc put deer down just the same with a lot less recoil.

The longest shot ill take for a deer with a handgun is about 150yrds so I don't need a power house. I shoot out to 500 with handguns but that's just paper and steel.

Thanks for the advice I'm off to a gun show to look ill check back in a little later

Respectfully

Evil dogooder

For a hunting gun, I have only 1 Favorite that has proven it'self many times over. It is the Smith and Wesson Model 57 in 41 Mag., w/6 inch barrel. This gun has all the power of a 44 Mag. downrange, without all the savage recoil of the 44. It is a very accurate caliber and retains that accuracy when reasonably downloaded, if you want tamer loads.

I know you specified 357 or 45.LC, but for me this gun beats the fire out of either of those. Has the capability of out performing either of the ones you specified, yet can be tamed down to be as calm as the 357 without any problem. Just something for you to consider.

Of course Big Jakes suggestion to purchace an earlier model 3 screw Ruger Blackhawk will cure your problem too, and that may/might be the better way for you to go. By the way, those were made in .41 Mag. also.

RBK

I've never shot a 41mag. Maybe its something I should look into. How hard is it to find ammo? I don't reload yet so I have to buy factory.

Howdy-

IF you are not dead set on a single action, you may consider a Ruger Super Redhawk in .454 Casull . Will handle any .45 Colt super hot-rod load you may be brave enough to try, and if that's not enough, go for the .454 stuff. I personally find the Super Redhawk gripframe to work MUCH better for me than that of the regular Redhawk.

I have a Super Redhawk in .44 magnum- ugly, tough handgun!

I have a number of Ruger Blackhawks and Vaqueros, well used in competition and some just shot casually. Have not had any type of breakage excepting a front sight that came off (!!!) of a stainless Vaquero for no0 apparent reason. Before this, had never heard of a transfer bar breaking. Feel something must be badly out of spec for this to happen three times for you in the same gun, especially if no mods where done to the gun or the bar.

I've never shot a 41mag. Maybe its something I should look into. How hard is it to find ammo? I don't reload yet so I have to buy factory.

41mag is an excellent caliber but it never really caught on with the public so ammo selection is minimal and availability is hard unless you shop at a big gun store like Cabella and the like. Go look around the stores in your area to see what the price and availability is. Cost will be similar to what 44mag ammo cost.

41mag has less recoil than the 44mag, but still is stout. If you don't like the recoil from 44mag, then you probably will not like the 41mag. But who knows.

At least with the 44mag, you can shoot 44specials through it and that is a sweet caliber.,,,,

Howdy

As far as where to find them, the ruger-specific forums have them quite frequently. Matter of fact, there's a flat top over there I'd love to have, and the wife would love to skin me for buying. I was lucky in the fact I received one as a gift from my grandfather. Love that thing, and never saw the need to "upgrade" to a newer one with the transfer bar. Don't get the wrong idea, I would like another in different barrel length for variety, and would like a newer one, I just have always had something else that caught my interest more.

On that note, I called a friend who is a "smiff" as well as a Blackhawk fanatic. He's never broken a transfer bar, and he shoots the living jeebus out of them. He says forget Ruger, take it to a competent revolver smith because there's something very wrong there. His word, not mine (how would I know, I'm just a shooter) is that Rugers will take more dry-firing than most brands will take rounds fired. If those transfer bars are breaking, it needs a doctor. Stat.

Then again, you know the saying: Never ask your barber if you need a haircut.

This advice is worth about what you paid for it. But personally, I wouldn't be getting rid of a quality revolver just because it has a problem that's most likely easily remedied by the proper fellow taking a look. If you're bound and determined to get rid of it, you have some good advice in this thread about replacements.

First I want to say that you can take what Adirondack Jack, Pack Saddle Slim and Blastmaster said to the bank. Your luck with Ruger is truly amazing but something definitely isn’t right you have more trouble with one than I have had with 12. I started hunting with a handgun in 1984 with a Ruger in 45LC that I still shoot regularly. Since that time I’ve shot a lot of different revolvers, autos and single shots from .22 cal to a full length 45/70. Mostly however it’s been Rugers; they are arguably the best trade off between durability, accuracy and price available on today’s market. I own both an Interarms and a Freedom arms and they are fine guns but I take a Ruger hunting more often than any other. If I were you I would trade or sell the Redhawk (the only Ruger I never cared for because of the grip angle) and purchase a used Blackhawk preferably a Bisley or Super Blackhawk weld up the hammer and remove the transfer bar. I would chose a Bisley because properly griped they seem to distribute heavy recoil better than any of the others particularly the Redhawk at least in my hand and the hands of many others that shoot heavy loads. Good luck

Well I've done and had it with my ruger blackhawk. This is the third time this summer the transfer bar as snapped. I'm sick of all the bull sending it back and fourth. I've only fired 5 rounds through it this summer no dry firing.

So anyway I'm looking for a new hunting rig. Any suggestions? Calibers I'm open to are 357 and 45 lc as that is what I already have. Not interested in 44 mag. Just dont care for it. I had one and sold it first season i used it. Don't care about barrel length. Double or single action doesn't matter I use iron sights so it doesn't have to have scope mounts. Ill be trading the new blackhawk in on it with maybe a little cash on the side so that is the price I'm looking for.

Any help is welcome

Thanks

Evil dogooder

Without hesitation, in my professional opinion, in 357 mag caliber per your specifications,The best of the best in 357's:(and perhap smost expensive and reliable)

DA's:

S&W Model 27, 8 3/8"

Colt Python , 6" or 8"

SA's:

Freedom Arms, unequivocally in 45 or 357

45 DA's:

S&W M25 (preferably, the older pre lock model)

Colt Anaconda 45 colt 6"

Please note that all of the above are available, but represent the top of the heap..quality and price wise..NOT for the budget minded!

As stated above something wrong inside the gun.

Recommendations for hunting. I have and use:

Ruger SBH Hunter in 45 colt, Ruger is not currently making this model, but they are out there.

Ruger Super Redhawk in 454 Casull. I shot 45 colt out it, but mostly 454 Casull

S&W 460 VXR

The S&W is the most accurate and versital as it shoots 45 Colt, 454 Casull and 460 S&W.

I also have a 41 mag in a Blackhawk. The recoil is nasty.

Howdy,

There are all sorts of ruger three screw and flattop blackhawks.

If you want one to shoot, you either buy a collector gun and pay about

the same as a colt and shoot it and have fun.

If you dont want to spend that much, look for a less than perfect one

maybe aftermarket grips or a shortened barrel.

Check thru the various gun websites.

No they dont cost $90 anymore but if someone wants to buy mine they

might be able to if they bring 90 silver dollars.

There were plenty of silver dollars in circulation when three screws

were first sold.

Best

CR

Guest Texas Jack Black

There are plenty of Old Model Rugers to be had. Shooters start around 350.00 for a 357, Super Black hawks around 450 and 41 mag about 450 The 45 is a bit more So get over to the Ruger forum and ask to buy an old model. :) and enjoy.

T J B

There are plenty of Old Model Rugers to be had. Shooters start around 350.00 for a 357, Super Black hawks around 450 and 41 mag about 450 The 45 is a bit more So get over to the Ruger forum and ask to buy an old model. :) and enjoy.

T J B

TJB

Please explain how to get a non-Mass Compliant handgun legally shipped to Mass. No FFL will knowingly accept one for transfer. If I were to find one made at least 50 years ago (1961) I could legally buy it on my C&R license. But if it was not grandfathered in by being registered in Mass prior to October of 1998, no single action cartridge revolver can be legally transferred into this state. You should know that. I am limited to looking for guns that were already here in Mass prior to Oct. 1998, and I can tell you they are scarce as hen's teeth. A friend in NH had one last year that I would have dearly loved to buy, but it could not be legally transferred here.

I may start snooping around out of state for one made in 1961 or before and see if I can do a C&R purchase.

I would love to find a three screw chambered for 357 Mag. I would send it off to one of the custom pistol smiths and have it rechambered for 44 Special. That's what I wanted to do with the one my friend could not sell me.

Here is an Old Model Ruger .357 for sale made in 1956. Good for making a .44 special. Just sayin'

http://www.gunsamerica.com/912143871/Guns/Pistols/Ruger-Single-Action-Revolvers/Blackhawk-Type/Ruger_Old_Model_Blackhawk_357Ma.htm

Big Jake

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

Evil:

If it's whitetail or mule deer, It'd be .44 Mag or .45 Colt only. I cannot suggest .357 Mag for either of those.

My suggestion would be .44 mag. I know you don't want to hear that.

Mustang Gregg

(Handgun hunting big

game since the '70's)

I live in mn and will be using it for deer. Minnesota is pretty easy no barrel lengths required and as long as its a centerfire its ok. I had to double check that with a friend who works for the dnr though.

Id love to get a freedom arms but they are way out of my price range.

Every time I send it to ruger they just replace the transfer bar test fire it and send it back. The first time they also switched out the hammer spring to one i have to grunt to pull back. The gun is stock no mods or anything. I've tried corresponding with them to try to figure out what was wrong but all they did was say sorry for the problem and it must have been a faulty part.

I think rugers just hate me ha ha I have three currently just traded of three others. Except or the two matched consecutive #'d ones I just traded off they have all gone back at least once. Broken transfer bars, broken hammer and a screw that wasn't threaded in correctly and had to be drilled out by them. I love rugers looks but I just think its time to look for a different hunting rig.

The reason for 357/45 is because I own them already and know they work for deer hogs and varmints that pester my dads farm coyotes foxes skunks stuff like that. I had a super blackhawk in 44 mag and it didn't really impress me much the 45lc put deer down just the same with a lot less recoil.

The longest shot ill take for a deer with a handgun is about 150yrds so I don't need a power house. I shoot out to 500 with handguns but that's just paper and steel.Thanks for the advice I'm off to a gun show to look ill check back in a little later

Respectfully

Evil dogooder

A 150 yard shot with an iron sight 357 is not a good idea IMO. I'm very good with a pistol but that pushes the limit of any shooter as well as the limits of the 357 at that distance. That would be better suited for a long bbl contender with a scope.

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

+1 for T/C Contender or XP-100 single shots.

I have taken deer at 230 yds with T/C .30-30.

Also got antelope at 205 yds with XP-100 .308.

Not bragging---It just takes more cartridge for long shots.

Keep the .44 & .45 at 100 yd max. IMHO.

Mustang Gregg

The 41 was designed to fill the gap (perceived) between the 357 and the 44 mag. More punch, bullet diameter and weight than a 357 and better bullet design than a 44 mag. Will do anything a 44 mag will do until you start getting into the 300 plus gr bullets.

It handles 230 grain bullets quite well with a handleable recoil and excellent down range performance. I like the LBT, big meplat, style of hard cast bullet with all the W296-H110 that the case can hold(follow the recipe). I will open a 1" to 2" hole in one side and out the other of anything of lesser size than a buffalo or a big bear.

I like mine in two configurations: One a 6" Smith 657 and Two a Ruger Super BlackHawk Hunter Bisley (they only made 1000 of these). Both are pleasant to shoot, accurate and effective. For white tails or similar sized critters there are many good 175 to 230 gr jacketed hollow point/soft point bullets available. I have one W296 load with 175gr JHPs that exceeds 1800 fps from the Ruger.

You will find that the 41 people are nearly as fanatical about their guns as the blackpowder folks.

The 41 was designed to fill the gap (perceived) between the 357 and the 44 mag. More punch, bullet diameter and weight than a 357 and better bullet design than a 44 mag. Will do anything a 44 mag will do until you start getting into the 300 plus gr bullets.

It handles 230 grain bullets quite well with a handleable recoil and excellent down range performance. I like the LBT, big meplat, style of hard cast bullet with all the W296-H110 that the case can hold(follow the recipe). I will open a 1" to 2" hole in one side and out the other of anything of lesser size than a buffalo or a big bear.

I like mine in two configurations: One a 6" Smith 657 and Two a Ruger Super BlackHawk Hunter Bisley (they only made 1000 of these). Both are pleasant to shoot, accurate and effective. For white tails or similar sized critters there are many good 175 to 230 gr jacketed hollow point/soft point bullets available. I have one W296 load with 175gr JHPs that exceeds 1800 fps from the Ruger.

You will find that the 41 people are nearly as fanatical about their guns as the blackpowder folks.

We are too!! :ph34r:

And sum of us is both :excl::blink::lol::rolleyes:

Well I looked all over the gun show this weekend. No three screw blackhawks. Saw a super redhawk in 45. A gp100 6" 357 Any advice on them?

But nothing that screamed buy me. Excpt an origional '66 in 44 rimfire. Now if I can just come up with the $65000 they were asking for it.

Went to the range today and looked for a 41 mag to try but no luck there.

As for single shot rifle cal. With all due respect no thank you. Never cared for them.

Thanks for all the advice. Ill keep looking

I agree with Sixgun Shorty... if price is no object, Freedom Arms is the way to go for a single action. Contact Billy Boots and he can fill you in on the number of elk he's taken with his FA revolvers.

Another option in the double action category that I don't believe has been mentioned is a .357 Super Mag (AKA .357 Maximum) from Dan Wesson. I haven't kept up with their current production, but I bet you can track a used one down on Gunbroker.com. That model enjoyed a lot of success in the handgun metallic silhouette game, which required a lot of long-range accuracy and knockdown power.

Regards, TJH

If you by 4 or less guns on your C&R license you are exempt from the AG roster. Go and buy your old model.

What!?!?

What are you smoking TJB?

Well I looked all over the gun show this weekend. No three screw blackhawks. Saw a super redhawk in 45. A gp100 6" 357 Any advice on them?

But nothing that screamed buy me. Excpt an origional '66 in 44 rimfire. Now if I can just come up with the $65000 they were asking for it.

Went to the range today and looked for a 41 mag to try but no luck there.

What? No three screw Blackhawks? Hard to believe. To hear some of the guys on this thread they are dropping out of the sky and you have to be careful you don't trip on them. Come on. A gun that has not been manufactured since the mid 1970s? Do you really expect you are going to find one the first time you look? As I said earlier, they are scarce as hen's teeth in these parts. Hunting the Internet you may find one, but don't think you are going to find one every time you walk into a gun show.

I must confess, I do have one Three Screw, a Single Six. I grabbed it as soon as I saw it because I knew it would be a long time before I ran across another one. Just like I grabbed my first Colt when I came across it for a good price because I knew that was not gonna happen again soon.

If you buy that Yellow Boy, try finding some ammo for it. I did see an original Yellow boy this week, but the price was about one tenth what you reported. Still too rich for my blood, particularly since nobody makes 44 Henry Rimfire any more.

As for the 41 Mag, they are not real popular. As Noz said, fans of the 41 Mag are nuts about them, but for most of us, the ammo is not very commonly available in gun stores. The two guys I know who have 41 Mags each have Smiths. One has the Model 57 with adjustable sights, the other has the Model 58 with fixed sights. Both of them reload their ammo since it is not commonly available and is pricey. I suggest you stay with a more common caliber.

Archived