SASS Wire Forum

Buckhorn or regular sight?

Dan The Man 80527

Just was wondering your opinion of which sight is better Buckhorn or regular?

I Have two Marlin Cowboy Limited rifles. One has the Semi Buckhorn and the other has the Flat Top. Personally I like the Semi Buckhorn the best. I would not care for a Full Buckhorn sight at all.

RBK

A friend bought a rifle that came with a flat topped rear sight. He bought a semibuckhorn to replace it.

My rifle came with a semibuckhorn rear sight. Today I ground the ears off to make it flat.

I guess you can say opinions vary.

Flat topped rear sights seem to be in fashion because they provide an unobstructed view of other targets.

Howdy

Of course opinions are going to vary. The beauty of a Full Buckhorn sight is you can use it like a ghost ring, allowing the front sight to center itself in the almost complete circle formed by the curved 'horns'. The downside of the Full Buckhorn is it obscures more of the target, and may get in the way when trying to rapidly move from target to target. I prefer a Semi-Buckhorn sight myself. It does not quite obscure so much of the target, allowing me to move quickly from target to target, but I still use it kind of like a ghost ring, allowing my front sight to center itself between the horns. I put a Full Buckhorn on my Henry, because that was the only after market sight that would fit without being mounted backwards. I like it just fine.

I'm partial to the buckhorn, either full or semi. However, some like a peep and others like the flat-top rear sights. Just as some like a front bead, and others like a post. My best suggestion is to ask some folks where you shoot to try their sight setups to see which YOU like.

One thing to note is while the full buckhorn LOOKS LIKE a ghost ring when in use, it is not "self-centering" as a peep sight is, because it is too far from the eye. A tang-mounted peep is close to the eye and really is 'self-centering, or 'self-aligning. In use, you don't even see it, yet your eye automatically puts the front sight in the middle of the hole. No barrel-mounted sight can do that, as it is too far away, so you rely on consistently shouldering the gun the same way to get a quick sight picture, and believe me, if you use both, you will notice how the rear sight mounted on the barrel is sometimes "off" a little, requiring a slight adjustment of the gun to get it right. The peep doesn't have that issue. There are two isses with a peep. Cost, and potential for breakage. You gotta be a little careful not to bend or break em when slamming guns around the way we sometimes do when in a hurry.

Full buckhorn.

Now I have A BIG fuzzy rear sight instead of a small, "Where's that small notch blured rear site?".

Flat top rear, along with a large front bead are the fastest sites in the game. Period.

With a flat top you won't (and don't have to) even see the rear site at all. There is absolutly nothing to hide the target with a flat top.

You should open up the rear notch in the flat top so the front site just barely fills it in. When accuracy is needed, drop the front bead into the rear notch, cover up the target and go bang.

Kid

I like the full buckhorn and use it like a ghost ring. As AJ said maybe it doesn't completely act like a ghost ring because of being too far away, but when I'm looking through it, I just don't pay any attention to the back sight.

I shoot with both eyes open so maybe that makes a difference too.

I've tried the flat topped back sight and have a tendency to shoot high with it when I'm trying to go fast.

Guest diablo slim shootist

Pep sight and ghost ring work well for us old blind guys

just throw it up put the front site on target pull trigger ;)

I think for the new CAS shooter the best choice is at least a LOW SEMI. I say that because the semi tends to work somewhat like the peep in that the "V" tends to move the eye to the center faster than a flattop. The Peeps, full and tall semi's do tend to obscure target somewhat but if you adjust your sight for a Six O’clock hold this is minimizes.

For the experienced shooter the flattop works well. But, these folks have their mount to the shoulder down so well a rear sight is hardly needed.

Archived