SASS Wire Forum

Weapons of the military

Reading the thread on Navy Uniforms, that has spilled over to include all of the other services, I got to thinking about the weapons of WW I, WW II and later.

No matter what you think of the effectiveness of them, the M1 Garand and the M2 Carbine sure did have a "flair" about them. Maybe Hollywierd movies did that.

That statement is coming from a guy that liked the looks of the P17 Enfield more than the 1903 Springfield,

and never did take to the M16. The M 14 is cool.

Most old schoolers like us prefer the wood and steel guns over modern plastic.

The M-1 was not only cool, but the best battle rifle of world war twice.

The 30 cal carbine looked cool but was less than effective.

The Mauser was more elegant in appearance perhaps and very accurate.

The SMLE was the fastest bolt action with a good capacity.

The STG 44 was cool but rare.

Now the Thompson...that's very cool indeed! :lol:

But it makes so much noise! :lol:

I am wondering just how effective the Carbine was in the Pacific. You see a lot of them in the

war films. Maybe they just had a lot of officers in the war films.

NOW you're cookin'!!! :D

But it makes so much noise! :lol:

I am wondering just how effective the Carbine was in the Pacific. You see a lot of them in the

war films. Maybe they just had a lot of officers in the war films.

Or the actors thought the M-1 was too heavy. :lol:

:lol: :lol:

Yeah that, but I do see a lot of them in the military footage.

Those three + pounds between the M1 Garand and the M2 Carbine make a lot of difference.

M2? Wasn't the full auto version of the M1 developed after the Second War To End All Wars? During the Korean Altercation?

M2? Wasn't the full auto version of the M1 developed after the Second War To End All Wars? During the Korean Altercation?

It was developed in '44 by Inland. Mostly saw use in Korea though.

I seem to recall reading that Vic Morrow ("Combat!") required a lightweight wooden mock-up of Sgt Saunder's Thompson after season one for all non-firing scenes... :rolleyes:

It was developed in '44 by Inland. Mostly saw use in Korea though.

Well, now you can larn something new every day. Some were issued M2 Carbines when I was a trooper.

I assumed (yeah, I know all about the U and ME) that it was developed and used through out WW II.

Another tidbit I have heard through the Internet. That the canvas accoutrements stood up to the weather in the South Pacific better than the leather ones. I guess they learned on Guadalcanal, early on.

Well, now you can larn something new every day. Some were issued M2 Carbines when I was a trooper.

I assumed (yeah, I know all about the U and ME) that it was developed and used through out WW II.

Another tidbit I have heard through the Internet. That the canvas accoutrements stood up to the weather in the South Pacific better than the leather ones. I guess they learned on Guadalcanal, early on.

Yeah, leather sucks in the jungle. Rots just like your skin after awhile. Canvas is lighter too.

I like the Browning Automatic Rifle myself.

http://www.ww2incolor.com/d/470363-2/1st+Marines_5_

You carry it and I'll shoot it. :lol:

I too like the real wood and steel firearms. I also like seeing the M-14 making a come back, even if it's being put in plastic. I just never got on with the M-16. This don't mean I couldn't use it :D , just didn't like it.

Not sure I could use it. Never paid attention to it so I don't even know how to operate the bolt. It does have a bolt, doesn't it?

No bolt. Just a 9 volt battery. :P

I'd carry it (when I was a youngster) if Uncle Sugar paid for my ammo.

Regulations stated the smallest man in the squad was automatically assigned the BAR. :lol:

Yesterday, I picked up my Springfield Armory M1A at the local gun pusher. I had tried for over a month to find the basic Standard M1A with a walnut stock, but there are none to be found, so I ordered one with the synthetic black stock. Gotta tell ya, its a real beauty! The gunsmith at the shop who inspects all incoming new weapons and cleans them prior to delivery was truly impressed. He said he had never seen a weapon come in so clean and ready to go. He said all he did was run a clean cloth over it and take off the excess oil and put it back in the box and call me to come get it! I'm waiting for four twenty round mags and a thousand rounds of ammo to come in and I'll take it to the range for some fun.

I've always liked the M14, but I bet I can't qualify expert on this one like I did the old one at Ft. Bragg 43 years ago!

For my military career, pretty much all I have known is the M-16 and its variants. Although I must admit that for the first part of my career my Army Reserve unit did have M1911 pistols which were of WWII vintage. For the brief period of time I spent in a Special Forces unit we also had an amazing number of weapons from around the world in our vault, but I never really got much play time with them.

Having said all of that, all other things being equal, I still like wood better than plastic. Wood just adds a warmth, a feel and a beauty that plastic simply cannot match. From the run of the mill walnut, to the deep color of curly maple, I like it all.

As for military weapons, nothing quite like the look of a Thompson in my eyes.

For my military career, pretty much all I have known is the M-16 and its variants. Although I must admit that for the first part of my career my Army Reserve unit did have M1911 pistols which were of WWII vintage. For the brief period of time I spent in a Special Forces unit we also had an amazing number of weapons from around the world in our vault, but I never really got much play time with them.

Having said all of that, all other things being equal, I still like wood better than plastic. Wood just adds a warmth, a feel and a beauty that plastic simply cannot match. From the run of the mill walnut, to the deep color of curly maple, I like it all.

As for military weapons, nothing quite like the look of a Thompson in my eyes.

What Group were you in Doc? I had an A Team in the 10th for 2 years.

What Group were you in Doc? I had an A Team in the 10th for 2 years.

I was in 11th Group, on the Army Reserve side. Nothing too exciting, I was in a support company, trained in commo, actually. I was there for just about a year when the RIF hit and we got deactivated. I always hesitate to mention it, because I don't want it to sound like more than it was.

I have several good friends who've been on teams, I was actually the best man at the wedding of one friend, an 18D, but with the RIF and family, I never made it that far.

For area defense, a quad 50 and for sniper, an 8inch howitizer in direct fire.

If I have to carry it, I'll have a 1911 in a shoulder holster.

I grew up on the M1 and it's still my favorite battle rifle.

Bob, were you in the III Corp (ARVN) area?

For area defense, a quad 50 and for sniper, an 8inch howitizer in direct fire.

If I have to carry it, I'll have a 1911 in a shoulder holster.

I grew up on the M1 and it's still my favorite battle rifle.

Bob, were you in the III Corp (ARVN) area?

Yes. 2/7 cav. Tay Ninh north to Cambodia

I was in 11th Group, on the Army Reserve side. Nothing too exciting, I was in a support company, trained in commo, actually. I was there for just about a year when the RIF hit and we got deactivated. I always hesitate to mention it, because I don't want it to sound like more than it was.

I have several good friends who've been on teams, I was actually the best man at the wedding of one friend, an 18D, but with the RIF and family, I never made it that far.

It's a shame the deactivated the reserve groups. They'd sure come in handy now.

It's a shame the deactivated the reserve groups. They'd sure come in handy now.

There are still a few in the National Guard, and they have been seeing some deployments. There were even back in the nineties, but at the time for me, the closest was a several hour drive in West Virginia, and I was a new father and in law school.

The early versions of the Thompson with the cooling fin Barrel and the big rotary Magazines are works of art. the quality of the blueing and finish in general are far above what was seen in the later mass produced versions of WW II.

In side arms I confess an attraction to the Broom-handle 96 Mauser with its wooden shoulder stock holster perhaps because My dad had one he brought home after WW II the muzzle flash when shooting one at night with the Vintage WW II ammo is impressive to say the least.

But for a Rifle. it has to be the M-14 I learned how to drill with in ROTC in the 60s.... what a sweet shooting gun.

There are still a few in the National Guard, and they have been seeing some deployments. There were even back in the nineties, but at the time for me, the closest was a several hour drive in West Virginia, and I was a new father and in law school.

If they had kept the reserve groups they wouldn't have had to deploy guys from the 19th and 20th in the last few years.

But alas, budgets rule the military.

Archived