SASS Wire Forum

Getting started

Guest srawlings

Guest srawlings

Im fairly new to competition shooting but found its something i love doing and alot of the guys i shoot with talk about CAS and ive taken a real interest in it, with all the reading ive done i still have a few questions, any help i can get on all this would be appreciated.

Outfit Questions:

Basic blue jeans with belt loops ok or do i have to cut off the loops and get suspenders?

Basic long sleeve shirt with collar ok or do i need collarless?

Any cowboy boots ok or are there ones to stay away from?

Any type of late 1800s style hat? I like the look of the Ausi Outback or stetson gambler styles, also felt or leather? ive worn felt cawboy hats and they can get pretty hot, would leather be better for this?

Good value Belt and holsters to start with? I was reading somewhere that leather tool belts work good and are cheap, what about holsters? I really like the look of the mexican double loop holsters but any to start would be fine. Im thinking strongside & crossdraw would work best for me.

Any recomendations on guns to start with?

Ive read i cant go wrong with rugers and would love the sass models but finding and affording them is the issue. Whats the best value six shooters out there (.357/38)

As for shot gun, double or pump? 12 vs 20 guage? Best value gun?

I was thinking marlin or rossi 357/38 lever rifle, anything wrong with those i should know about?

I know this is alot of questions but i am REALLY excited and am planning on visiting a local match, Please help out where ever you can, i cant wait to get my family and i involved in this sport. It seems like alot of fun, and by the way what am i looking at as far as start up costs? im guessing at least $1500 if i find good deals...

2 pistols $700-900

Shotgun $250-400

Rifle $300-500

Clothing $250-400 (hat, boots, shirt, pants, belt, holster and cart... i have nothing)

Thanks Shane

whew ! not sure I can remmeber all the questions !! ;)

but here goes'..

Marlin is all american,better steel,and can be made to run faster than a Rossi,in my opinon.

best value in handguns? hmm.2 old blackhawks most likely,or 2 used Uberti's.Uberti's more like a real Colt balance and looks wise,Blackhawks built like a tank.They can liimit your catagory choices a mite because of the adj. sights

shotgun;almost everyone uses model '97 Winchesters or their clones,I choose to stick with a double because they are more 'cowboy'. 12 guage way more common than 20,but either is ok.

I wear a belt,I doubt that anyone will care which you use unless the catagory demands one or 'tother.

as I recall,boots cannot have a 'traction-like tread',

most folks would discourage a newbie from going crossdraw,too easy to sweep the crowd and get DQ'd. I like them,and learning to 'do the dance'..meaning NOT sweep others while drawing,just takes practice.

for leather if youi go cheap you'll regret it.I did,and when my loaded gun fell out during a match,I never used cheap ones again.

a lot of what you need can be bought on the classified section,and all of your questions can be answered by reading the handbooks on the main page at sassnet.com

Let us know where you live,and maybe some locals can chime in and be of great help to you.

oh,nearly forgot..WELCOME TO THE FIRE.

Go to a match.

Go to a match and look interested.

Go to a match and look interested and ask all your questions.

From these three simple steps you will get a wonderful introduction to CAS. And probably have guns shoved in your hands to try out.

I'm not going to answer your questions, because those would be my opinions. What you need to do is figure out how to discover your own opinions. Develop your own way to find out. Develop a network of local folks who will be there to help you when you need to ask just one more question, borrow a gun, learn to reload, etc.

.38 special is a good budget rifle/pistol caliber, and 12 gauge shotgun (no other real choice). Lets you shoot most categories, about as cheaply as possible. Guns will be almost the same price regardless of caliber. Marlin rifles will be more than you have budgeted at your initial price. And revolvers probably more, too, unless you get some well used ones. The guns will hold their value, unless you buy junk no one else wants.

Consider well the level of the game you want to get into (and can afford, for dollars and time invested). This can be a social event sport, a fun pastime, a serious addiction, or a race to the top of world championships. Folks in the third or fourth aspiration level probably would want to start with nicely slicked guns for about double your initial estimates (or else they would be trading up to them in short order).

Good luck, GJ

Welcome....you'll have a ton of fun once you get to doing this.BEFORE you rush out and buy anything,go to a few local clubs...talk to as many people as you can and if they're like most clubs,they'll be hanging leather and guns on you before you can say Howdy.Try as many different makes,models and styles of firearms as you can.That goes with leather too.Each type and style of gun you try is going to "feel" different in YOUR hands.Make your decision on what to buy by what feels best to you.Rugers are a GREAT choice...can't go wrong with them IF they feel right to YOU.Personally...I've had Rugers and could never get used to the feel and balance,so I shoot other styles and makes.Same goes for rifles.Marlin makes a good gun...92's can be good if worked on.Probably 80% shoot 66's or 73's.Those have a simpler chambering process with less troubles in regards to case length.I had a 92 for a while.Worked great using 357 cases,but spit out live 38 rounds.It was case length sensitive.Now all I use are 73's.They cost more,but I think you'd be more satisfied in the long haul.As for shotguns...a lot of people love the 97's and have good success with them.On the other hand,a SxS is simpler and has less problems.12 ga is your best bet for shotgun.You can buy light loads for that with Winchester AA low noise low recoil or Remington STS.Clothing for a "newbie" isn't as critical to start with.See what other's wear and then decide on what you like.Read the SASS handbooks.There's a lot of info in those pertaining to "dress code" in specific catagories.BUT...go to a few shoots first and then pick your gear and catagory.

Guest srawlings

thanks for the info, theres a match this weekend ill be at and i think another club the week after so it should be good...

what kind of start up am i looking at?

dont want the wife to have a heart attack when the topic of cash comes up.

where are you located? it cannot be over suggested that you go to a match and ask questions. there are at least as many opinions as sass badges. most cowboys are more than happy to let you try theirs so you can get a feel for what works for you. rugers are built like tanks but are heavy. stainless guns are heavier still but are easier to clean if youre shooting black powder. 92's are strong but will never be quick and smooth like a marlin or 73. a "race ready" 73 can cost you upwards of $12-1500 so based on your criteria a marlin 94 sounds like your way to go, lots of top shooters win with them. 38's are much cheaper to shoot than 45's. depending where you are, it could be tough to find a 97 in your price range and there are a host of doubles to choose from. most perform well for our game. if you get a bounty hunter II make sure you have a smith that can over ride the rebounding spring that makes it difficult to keep open while loading. i lean towards double triggers to avoid jamming and damaging the spring which can be a common problem.

theres no reason not to start with a crossdraw. just make sure its 30 degrees or less and position yourself so that its not pointing up range when you pull it out. no dance required.

get out there and have fun fun fun!

CC

thanks for the info, theres a match this weekend ill be at and i think another club the week after so it should be good...

Well,that depends on what you decide you want for guns and leather.Those are gonna be the most expensive start-up costs.IF you buy new slicked up guns...$2000-2500 minimum.It isn't a cheap sport to get into if you go top shelf right away.Check the classifieds on this wire.It's below in the forum section like this is.There's a lot of GOOD used guns you can get; and buying them off of here, the chances of getting stuck with junk is little to none.That's one way of getting good equipment at a reasonable cost.Also check out Gun Broker...Auction Arms etc.Do you reload??? Ammo is another expense new people forget about.38's are the least expensive to buy and reload ( NO jacketed bullets allowed).You can find brass for sale on any of the sites I mentioned.Clothing is a build as you go part.Jeans and a button up shirt (non short sleeved) is acceptable.NO tennis shoes or baseball cap.Lace up boots will work if you have some.For the warmer weather think about a regular old fashioned straw hat.Most clubs are pretty lenient on those, especially for a new shooter.You'll get a lot of ideas and tips by going to shoots and watching,talking to and mixing with shooters.Just take your time and make the right decisions for what you think is right for you and at what cost.There's really only 2 standing rules in this game....1...be safe...2 have FUN.

If you are new....

Put on whatever you have that "looks" western and go to a match.

Try all the guns that are offered even if you don't like them or the feel.

Don't are.....

Don't wear a baseball cap!

Something other than tennis shoes if you are new to the game.

Bring your own ear plugs and shooting glasses....

Have fun playing with the cowboys and all the beautiful cowgirls!

Haven't been too long in the sport myself, but like you it seems I also wanted to be completely geared up before my first venture into SASS. I learned that that is a bit of hooey. You don't have to have everything before you start at all and like a few posts have mentioned, go to a couple matches before you invest serious cash. You'll save in the long run. I could have saved a few bucks myself if I had of done that.

Your clothes questions sounds as though you are already equipped to attend a shoot. I would tend to stay away from crazy lugged sole boots but everything sounds OK. Just "the look" of cowboy is the main point and it sounds like you have that handled. I started with a 92 and still shoot it today (fine gun), but others will steer you towards a Marlin 94 cowboy gun. A bit pricey compared to the 92, but US made and a great SASS gun. Can't go wrong there and it will hold its value should you choose to go to a 73 or 66 down the road. Ruger Vaquero's are hard to beat for starter SASS guns (and ones to continue with). They're built like tanks and will hold up just like you need in the abuse that SASS hands out. Shotguns offer a wider choice of older doubles or newer "coach" guns and original and copies of the 97 Winchester.

Point is, there are going to be a lot of choices that you will have to make and the best way to make them is to try the gear/guns out at a SASS shoot. SASS members are all too happy to show off their gear and you will get to see which might be the one that works for you. I can't give you a ball park on the bad news to your wife and keep in mind I didn't do this all at once. I started out with really cheap leather (that I later sold) and a pair of Ruger Old Armies (that I later sold), but below are Items that I now use and evolved into within the first six months of shooting SASS and what it cost me. I hope that this helps you in some way. Smithy.

Rifle...........Rossi 1892 in 45 LC.......................$500.00

Pistols.........Ruger Bisley Vaquero's 2 @ 600..........$1,200.00

Shotgun.........IGA 1887..................................$375.00

Leather.........Kirkpatrick B Western.....................$440.00

Cart............Little Sky................................$275.00

Hat/Braces......Single purchase............................$65.00

Clothes.........Mercantile Outfit.(Shirt, Pants, Vest)....$120.00

Boots...........Mule ear boots...............................FREE

Total.........................$2,975.00

P.S. As you can see, this is kind of "high budget" for someone starting out, but I had some guns (two pistols and the rifle) starting out any way and started out with cheap leather. I wheeled and dealed into the above rather than buying it from scratch. Another thing not mentioned is the reloading gear that I also invested in over a period of time, but that single stage press has long since paid for itself vs. buying BP ammo from a dealer. I have heard quotes larger than my 3 large, but "DO NOT" take this for gospel! Do you see the FREE up there. There could have been a lot more of those if I had of played my cards right and been patient about my start in this game. All sorts of players are upgrading and liquidating their gear. Check the classifieds and the bulletins at the clubs for the "for sale" stuff or give away. Goodwill another great source for clothing etc. Keep track of you costs. I'd love to hear how little a budget minded partner could make his start for. Smithy.

Welcome

Like they all said, go to a match, me and Old Top always have extra gear and often will outfit a new person just to get them to feel. And this will help you to know what you want/like before you spend money.

Buy used stuff where you can (but be careful with used gunz...like a used car..) I know many folks that get all their clothes from good will. My first outfit I had black jeans with loops removed and spenders added with batchlor buttons. I have a "mattress ticking" shirt that started as a button down Arrow and removed the collar. I still wear it.

Get some second hand leather or something cheap til you figger out how you want your gear to be configured. (you may not like crossdraw, or the hang of a holster and if you spent a couple of hundred it is wasted if it ain't to yer liking .

Build or buy a gun cart right off....I got one used for $100 the first month I started shootin and I still use it.

check out my photo pages:

you will see lots of cowboy pix and even some matchs...

good shootin and let us know where ya hail from. If you are from SoCal, you could join us at a match.

curley

Im fairly new to competition shooting but found its something i love doing and alot of the guys i shoot with talk about CAS and ive taken a real interest in it, with all the reading ive done i still have a few questions, any help i can get on all this would be appreciated.

Outfit Questions:

Basic blue jeans with belt loops ok or do i have to cut off the loops and get suspenders? Regular blue jeans with belt loops are good to go w/o alterations. Sew on some suspender buttons if you want suspenders.Basic long sleeve shirt with collar ok or do i need collarless? Yep, basic long sleeve shirt will get you going too. Just make it look western as best you can. Denium shirt is fine.Any cowboy boots ok or are there ones to stay away from? Any cowboy boot will do as well. Just make sure they fit comfortable. There are some exceptions because of which catagory you choose,,,, Like B-Western.

Any type of late 1800s style hat? I like the look of the Ausi Outback or stetson gambler styles, also felt or leather? ive worn felt cawboy hats and they can get pretty hot, would leather be better for this? Pretty much any cowboy hat will do as well. Leather would be hotter in my opinion and cost more too. Straw hat is a good low budget hat that works and is the coolist of them all.

Good value Belt and holsters to start with? I was reading somewhere that leather tool belts work good and are cheap, what about holsters? I really like the look of the mexican double loop holsters but any to start would be fine. Im thinking strongside & crossdraw would work best for me. Good value is in the eye of the beholder. You can purchase inexpensive to get started but will probably will purchase better in a year or so,,,after you figure out that the cheap stuff doesn't work to your expectations. But if money is tight, then get what you can.

Any recomendations on guns to start with?

Ive read i cant go wrong with rugers and would love the sass models but finding and affording them is the issue. Whats the best value six shooters out there (.357/38). Best value would be used Rugers in 357. You don't need the Sass model of the Rugers.

As for shot gun, double or pump? 12 vs 20 guage? Best value gun? Stoger double barrel in 12gauge is the best value and will last you a long time.

I was thinking marlin or rossi 357/38 lever rifle, anything wrong with those i should know about? Go Marlin.

I know this is alot of questions but i am REALLY excited and am planning on visiting a local match, Please help out where ever you can, i cant wait to get my family and i involved in this sport. It seems like alot of fun, and by the way what am i looking at as far as start up costs? im guessing at least $1500 if i find good deals... Don't purchase anything till you have gone to a match or two.

2 pistols $700-900 Should be able too

Shotgun $250-400 About right for good usedRifle $300-500 About right for good usedClothing $250-400 (hat, boots, shirt, pants, belt, holster and cart... i have nothing) A bit light on cost

After all that, can you afford ammo? Are you going to reload?Thanks Shane

Good luck and have fun.

Beginner shotgun? get a sxs coach gun, less moving parts to mess up. Lots of troubleshooting threads on the others. 12g.

Beginner rifle? I started with a Rossi '92, soon saw the need for a '73 instead.

Seek Beretta Renegade (by Uberti) for closeout bargains, 357/.38spl.

Most troubleshooting threads seem to involve Rossis and Marlins instead of Ubertis. The rifle is the most expensive single item when you are ready to buy a good one from a reputable gunsmith.

Beginner pistols? Ruger Blackhawks unless you can find N.M. Vaqueros, and get .357/.38spl. I shoot one of each for now.

Beginner clothes? Yes to all your questions, a new wardrobe is your last priority. I wear ugly hats.

I'm still a newbie, using mismatched holsters on a shotgun belt while I explore leather options, but I wouldn't start with a crossdraw.

I thought I'd shoot my jam-prone Rossi for a year or so until someone handed me a slicked up Uberti '66; it's like going from a moped to a motorcycle. Now that I own a Codymatic '73, I can send my Rossi '92 out to be slicked up for a backup rifle, as time and money allow.

Go to as many matches as reasonable, ask questions, and shoot various guns (many folks will offer). Read this forum but be careful. Everyone has opinions on the "best" guns but their reasons may not resonate for you. Some swear by Colt or Ruger, or USFA. Several top shooters use the EMF Best Western (I shoot the EMF Alchimista Best Western).

Before purchasing anything read the SASS Shooters Handbook. Guns are to some degree category specific. If the category you think you will shoot in is not caliber limited, then consider cost of ammo and reloading (38's are cheaper than 45's). Are you interested in Black Powder? Are you interested in being one of the top shooters or do you just want to send lead downrange and have fun. Both are great, but the guns you will need are different.

For most clothing is the easy part and a visit to Goodwill can usually outfit a cowboy cheaply.

Startup costs can be moderately high. Startup costs get higher if you buy the "wrong" guns and have to buy more.

If you show up at our match in blue jeans and tennis shoes we will strap some guns on you and get you hooked...I would hope most clubs will do the same. Then you can "prioritize" and get yer gear as needed. IMO get your holsters and pistols and wear jeans and work boots and a hat until you figure out what you want. Shooting other folks long guns will give you the chance to see what you like and they are happy to let you try them.

Howdy

Don't sweat the clothes!

Just thought I would add that. The first match I ever attended I wore jeans, a Sears workshirt, an old pair of Frye boots, and a cheap cowboy hat that I paid twenty bucks for. That outfit is completely legal for any category except the costume categories. I could keep right on wearing that outfit today if I wanted to. Don't listen to anybody who tells you that your outfit is not 'period correct'. If you want to spend more money on cowboy duds later, fine, but don't sweat the clothes until you have attended a few matches. Just don't show up with any of this stuff:

OUTLAWED

The use or presence of any outlawed item is a Stage Disqualification.

• Modern shooting gloves.

• Short sleeve shirts (Male competitors only)

• Short sleeve tee shirts, long sleeve tee shirts, and tank tops for all competitors. Long

sleeved Henley type shirts with buttons are acceptable.

• Modern feathered cowboy hats (Shady Bradys). Straw hats of traditional design (e.g.,

Stetson, Bailey, sombreros,) are acceptable.

• Designer jeans

• Ball caps

• All types of athletic shoes or combat boots no matter the material from which they are

constructed.

• Nylon, plastic, or Velcro accouterments.

• The displaying of manufacturer’s, sponsor’s or team logos on apparel. Manufacturer’s

labels on such apparel or equipment are acceptable.

And like so many are saying, don't think you have to show up with a full compliment of guns either. Don't spend a dime on guns until you have shot a few. Show up, look interested, ask questions, and you will get to shoot some guns.

When I got started in December, I planned to get everything with about the same budget as you. It isn't going to happen unless you find some really good used deals.

For a budget outfit, buy some comfortable cowboy boots (Ariats have a cushioned insole) and search ebay for a Stetson beaver hat. I got both my wife's and my hat from ebay for less than $20 each (both are Stetson 4X beaver). Cowboy hats are often bought and not worn much, so there are a lot of good deals out there. If it is a little small, you can buy some hat stetcher bars from Harbor Freight for under $10. With your new boots and hat, throw on a pair of jeans, a long sleeved button-down shirt, and a belt and you are good to go.

For pistols, Vaqueros are great. They are reasonably priced, trouble free, and it is easy to change the hammer spring and trigger spring yourself if you want. Used is a good option here since it is almost impossible to wear them out.

For a rifle, a Rossi will get you started if you put a little work into it. It seems like most people that start with a Rossi end up moving on to something else eventually. Marlins used to be the best bang for the buck, but the price has gone up considerably on them in the past year and it sounds like the new ones coming from Remington have questionable quality. I'd try to increase your budget a bit and go for a Berretta Renegade. These are Uberti '73's with short stroke links from the factory and priced about even with Marlins around here.

As for the shotgun, you will have to decide if you want a '97 or a double. It is a pretty even split at the clubs that I shoot at between '97 and double users. For a budget double, Stoegers are the most common. Again, they take a bit of work to get them "competition ready", but nothing that someone who is mechanically inclined cannot do themselves.

For a gun rig, I don't thik that there is a better starter rig than this: http://www.knightsleatherproducts.com/StarterRig.html

IIt has everything that you need (two holsters and shotshell carriers) and nothing that you don't. This is what my wife uses, and she loves it. Everybody who has seen it agrees that it is a nice rig, especially for the cost.

Go ahead and buy your boots and hat and head to a local match. I'm sure that they will outfit you with whatever gear that you need to participate. Look what everybody is using and ask a lot of questions. Then, when you have an idea of what pistols you want to use, buy some pistols and a gunbelt. It will be pretty easy to borrow a rifle and shotgun for awhile until you can purchase your own, but borrowing pistols and a gunbelt is a bit of a pain. Anyways, have fun with your new hobby. I know that I have.

One thing that I forgot to mention. .38's will be cheaper to shoot, but if you plan to also shoot Wild Bunch, it might cause you to make some different gun decisions from the start. For example, choosing a '97 for your shotgun and a .45 caliber rifle will work for both CAS and Wild Bunch. Just add a 1911, and you'd be ready.

I will agree with Buckshot Frank above for a starter rig http://www.knightsle...StarterRig.html is a great deal and very good quality has the shotgun loops built in and is ready to go. I have one and really like it.

As for guns that is a personal thing. Like most have said attend some matches and alot of people will be happy to let you look and shoot there guns. I will say you can get some good deals. My son bought some Uberti pistols in 38/357 they are the most basic model and out the door new cost less than 250 each. Bone stock he has been shooting them 6-8 months with no issues at all. I would also keep my eye open for used Rugers. Alot of times you can find a good deal on them used. Shotguns and Rifles are very much what your comfortable with length and styles are to varied for a one size fits all opinion but most are fine right out of the box to start with. The only gun I have had any work done on was my double shotgun to get it to open easier.

As for clothes you can go from simple to fully decked out. A pair of blue jeans and a button down work shirt, hat and basic boots or leather shoes will get you started. I bought a hat had everything else in the closet. For cheaper clothing if you want to go for a different look shop thrift stores. I talked to a man who had a nice B western outfit he told me the pants and shirt were thrift store finds that he dressed up.

And remember even if you do not have all the guns talk to your local club. Most people have a spare shotgun or rifle to loan if your missing something. This is one of the most friendly shooting sports I have ever been involved in.

You've gotten lots of good info above.

Here's a few websites that may be of interest...

Cap'n George Baylors getting started in CAS page.

Maruader's cowboy page

SASS Handbooks

SASS Affiliated clubs

As others have said, get out to a match and ask questions. Often there will be folks with gently used gear for sale that may save you some money.

Have fun and enjoy the ride.

Grizz

Welcome Pard!

You've got good information so far. It would be helpful if you told us your location. If you do, I'm sure someone near you would chime in inviting you to a nearby match.

About clothing, go easy at first. There are a wide variety of looks out there from drover to dandy to B Western blingy. Take your time deciding which suits you and start there.

I agree with those who said get the Marlin and a 12 gauge SG. I prefer a model '97 SG. Also, if you get interested in Wild Bunch Action Shooting, you can use the '97 there.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Allie Mo

When I was just starting I talked to my leather guy who is an old SASS hand. He suggested that I buy a good belt, but that I go basic with my holsters. His thought was I would change my mind as to holsters within a year anyway, so don't spend a lot on the holsters. Once I developed my own opinions on the subject I added quality holsters of the design I wanted. The belt doesn't really change so you should go with what you want in the beginning.

Don't forget a shotgun slide or belt.

I would like to make one comment here that runs counter to the advice that is always given here. That should be a shock to Wire regulars. Everyone always says "Don't sweat the clothes." I say, don't sweat the cost, but chose the clothing with some thought.

There are lots of people at shoots. They know each other. You will be immediately recognized as "a newbie". That title will hang with you for a while. While it does, you will get a lot more help, especially if you are recognized as the same Newbie that was here last month.

What I am suggesting is that you wear the same clothing for a period of time rather than adding something new and different every month. A recognizable hat/shirt combination will get you recognized and accepted by more shooters as someone who is new and needs a little special attention, but is serious about playing the game. This is especially important when you consider that the only shooters that you interact with are the ones on your posse. A little distinctive costuming will make you visible to the whole club.

The items you chose may be obtained from a Goodwill store for next to nothing . Later, you can decide on nicer clothing after you are known to the other shooters on a personal basis.

Mack, I've been in the game 3 years now and still wear the same duds I did after I got my stuff together LOL. Then again I'm pretty recognizable no matter what color shirt I have on.

I managed to find an complete outfit by buying second hand on ebay for about $60 total. This included a hat, pants, a shirt, suspenders. Be patient and look for deals. There can be a lot out there depending on what size you wear. (always seems like XL and XXL are in abundance but that may just be my perception as I wear a S to M.) One good outfit can last for many a shoot before you need anything else. In time you will determine the style you like and will get more.

Be patient also for guns. Go to matches, get good adivce, determine what you like and want, then look for deals. The only gun I didn't buy used was my shotgun. I started with a Rossi 92 and after $100 having it slicked up it has served me well.

Look through the classifieds,definitely look at the local shops in your area and talk to folks at shoots. There is almost always someone selling something and nobody knows their cowboy guns better than cowboy shooters. I have never met a cowboy shooter who would misrepresent or steer you wrong when selling you guns.

You can find used rigs pretty easily too and many are in great condition for a very good price. My only advice on this is to get colt style revolvers (this includes vaqueros) as they will be the easiest to get a good used rig for. I started with a pair of 1858 remmie style conversions and although I love them, finding a rig to fit them was harder and I ended up buying new. .38/.357 and 12 ga. is the way to go to start(unless you really want the .45s)

As time goes on you will acquire more and more in both guns and outfits and will find your niche in this great and fun game. Overall have fun! find what guns and outfits will give you the biggest grin and enjoy them.

Hey Scrawlins,

Just some thoughts from a guy that was standing in your shoes just a couple months ago. "to make a long story short" comes to mind, but not really my style so here goes...

Back in the early 90's I caught wind of Cowboy shooting, even went as far as to register an alias with one of the now defunkt web organizations. I figured I had a start already because I owned some cowboy style guns, but I quickly found out , at least at that time, that my 44mag stuff wasn't allowed, and faced with the cost of replacing everything, I refocussed my rec activities in a new direction.

Earlier this year I overheard some VFW pards talking about a local cowboy shoot, and my ears perked. I mentioned it to my wife, and didn't get the "don't even think about it" "iceberg ripping your underbelly" reaction that I've become use to on many of my not well thought ought recreational aspirations. I think being faced with an impending "empty nest" situation has tempered her a little. Being faced with being stuck around the house with me and only me may have broadened her tollerance. Well if you know me, that's all it took.(can you say OCD) The keyboard was smokin'. I read the entire SASS site including all the handbooks. I read every forum and website I could find pertaining to CAS. I attended the shoot my VFW pards had metioned, and it's true, within 20 minutes, Mike from the local club had his matched SASS Vaqueros strapped to my hips, his marlin 94 in one hand and his (don't know the model) exposed hammer sxs coach style 12 guage in the other and was ushering me to the firing line.(Seriously). Can you say "Hooked".

OK, enough story for now. Here's what I found. My 44mag stuff is leagal now, but not economically practical. But I do already own it. So what to do. My budget meter is lower than red. I mentioned earlier the "empty nest" thing. Translation: a 16 year old daughter who is involved in "every thing"(Cha Ching), and looking at MIT for fall '12.(scholarship gods, I hope your listening). So how do I do this on low funds. I love shooting black powder, and have a 1851 navy replica from cabelas(no not authentic .36 but hey niether is the Ruger frame {ok, ok, I know just had to throw that in to keep things lively}) anyway, this looked like a good option. Cabelas sells Pietta's very cheap and it might be a good way to get started and see how it goes. Read and reread rules, BP pistol is a go. Picked up a 1858 remington style "sheriff" from Cabelas. Alright 2 pistols, already have an old Stevens sxs that I inherited(legal also, score!) Had to by a rifle. Decided better go with the economically minded 38 special.

So here's the break down on what I would consider the absolute minimum cash outlay to outfit your self within a reasonable personal participatory comfort zone (what I mean is: I'm not big an borrowing other peoples weapons, and I at least want to make an effort at an acceptable costume). This is assuming that you curentlly have nothing. This involved some serious "Sale" minded shopping. Warnig:Sale shopping can be dangerous to your budget also.(another story)

1851 Confederate Navy replica (Cabelas) $179

1858 Remington "Sheriff" 5 1/2" (Cabelas) $199 - 10%(Display Model) = $179

Stevens 5100 SxS 12 guage (inherited), saw similar at pawn shop for $200

Model 92 Rossi 20" round barrel .357/38 online $420 + $20 FFL +$20 shipping = $460

Buscadero type single pistol rig $75 + 2 hours hagling with the street vendor in Encinada Mexico = $75 and a good time.

2nd holster for crossdraw (Cabelas) $22

Pair of B western boots and hat (local western store) $139

Western bib style shirt (online) $47

SASS Membership (not absolutely nessacary for local but very cool) $55

Grand total = $1356 + tax

Take advantage of thrift stores and used items and it will help. Also I sold off my 44 mag pistol and some other guns to help offst the cost.

And now the rest of the story(remember the sale shopping remark)

Reloading equipment for pistol and shotgun (Cabelas) $139 (Lee aniversery single stage kit and Lee Loadall II)

Dies $30

Leather tools and dies to make everything match $50

Powder, wads, shot, bullets, accesories, $???

Another 1851 revolver $110 (on sale at Cabelas, couldn't resist)

2 New Uberti "Hombre" .357's (found out the local club won't allow black powder at their indoor range) $250 each + $30 shipping + $10 FFL Gunbroker.com ("excellant" deal)

Double strongside holster for Uberti's (local western store) $89

etc, etc...

My intentions at this point are to participate on a recreational level, I don't have the budget or time to invest on a competitive level at this point. So if championships are your goal, you'll probablly want to add a few (thousand) dollars.

Hope this helps, don't get discouraged by the cost, but I would go along with many of the others and say: Go to a match and visit with the folks, you'll be glad you did, then hold on and have fun.

"who knows what evil lurks..." (hope my wife doesn't) ;)

The Silver Shadow

Hey TSS,

Although I'm not fond of long posts (usually skip them after the first sentence), yours was very good and I read it all. :blink:;)

Regards,

AM

Dear AM

Much obliged Ma'am. I have always enjoyed your posts as well.

Thanks

The Silver Shadow

Scrawlins,

First off, welcome to the SASS Wire and to the wonderful world of CAS. Like some others have said, post approximately where you are from......you'll get alot of invites.

You'll never meet a nicer group of folks anywhere else. We may get into a dust up here on the Wire sometimes, but ultimately we're still pards with a common bond.

Don't worry about the clothing thing at 1st. Some work boots, long sleeve shirt and blue jeans would do for now. Any old cheap straw hat will do fine also.

I can't emphasize this enough.......GO TO SOME MATCHES BEFORE BUYING ANY GUN RELATED EQUIPMENT. Sorry didn't mean to yell but it is very important. Look interested and ask lots of questions even though you won't remember 1/2 of the info you recieve. Many times folks will let you shoot their guns after the match is over. Once you make a few friends (and it won't be long) they'll let you shoot their guns in a match, probably using their back up holsters......so a wide belt would be handy to have. After you have shot some different guns, you'll know what you want.

Sooner or later you'll have to get your own stuff, but at least you'll have an idea of what you like......and don't like. You'll also find that a huge array of guns, leather, gun carts, clothes and other items are sold by individuals at the matches........after enough matches, you won't have to go to a store or other vendors to get what you need. You will have bought it from other pards!

Good luck and remember, you're gonna get hooked

Cypress Sun

Guest srawlings

WOW...

lots of more great info since the last time i was on, thanks again this it great, and by the way im about 25 minutes from tombstone, az and thats where im planning to start this endevour.

im also the info here is pretty consistant, not "only brand A, B is junk" with the next one saying "Brand B only cause A is junk"

And a special thanks to silver shadow for taking the time for that, that (along with all the others) helped alot

the waiting is whats killing me...

Guest srawlings

and i almost forgot, before my current position in the army i was in the cav and have a old cav stetson that im sure would work for a hat.

Welcome, I had a hammer SxS to start with =$0.00 // Traded my Colt AR-15 for 2 new Ruger Vaqs= $0.00+ transfer/shipping = $100.00 // Sold off other guns to buy a new Marlin rifle =$400.00 out of pocket // Hats on Ebay = $25.00+shipping for 2 hats. I buy shirts from thrift stores for $ .95-$4.00, sell them for $5.00 each if they don't fit me well. You can wear jeans. // I did buy good leather up front = $260.00 // I don't reload so my biggest expense was ammo. I have since found quality reloading services that I use, buy bulk at gun shows and save shipping, cap&ball is (relatively) cheap and lotsa fun. // I can't emphasize enough, cheap leather will ruin your fun more than anything. If you can, shop for good, used, quality leather. Happy shooting! Baddog N.

Archived