SASS Wire Forum

Best double?

Dingo and Sixgun

That's easy! 12 ga. SKB 200 with 22 in. barrels, two-tone finish and all tricked out by Dirt. Got me one and it's the best in my book! ;)

Yeah! You're right!! That was fun!! :wub:

Guest diablo slim shootist
That's easy! 12 ga. SKB 200 with 22 in. barrels, two-tone finish and all tricked out by Dirt. Got me one and it's the best in my book! :wub:

to expensive- single trigger Stoeger slicked up by me (no charge) i love it traded for it at a gun show

cut barrels to 20 in honed and chamfered -cut spring -disconnected saftey(manual only) polished lugs

drops right open -shoots fast ;)

OMG I just got my Dirt Merchant SKB 200 today - thanks again to Three Cut, a stand-up Pard - and it's like butter in the hands

Tho' I have sinned and touched the breach of the Stevens, and yea though I have stroked the pump of a Winchester, I have seen the light and found the Promised Land, nor shall I stray again from the path of Righteousness, for Dirt's SKBs are flat AWESOME and even tho' he won't be makin' another 'til next year, a Pard better believe they are worth every moment of the wait!

Seriously. If this thread hadn't been here, I'd'a had to start one.

:wub:

Hi-Yo and Awaaay,

That Masked Man

best double period- the dirt merchant skb

best double for the money- stoger

fastest shotgun for sass period- stop using a double and shoot a 97'

Dang it MJ!! Now ya' dun' gone an' got personal !!?? :wub:

You will probably hear most shooters tout either the SKB, or the BSS as the top 2 SXS shotguns. A serious disadvantage is that neither are made anymore. There are many others that work well however.

I was fortunate enough to run into an SKB and a BSS at the same gunshow, the BSS is noticeably heavier, they both felt good and balanced well, at least at this show the BSS was 400$ more than the SKB.

One downside to the SKB is that the trigger resets with recoil, so the second barrel will not fire if the first one has a misfire for example. I understand this can be gunsmithed away but it has never been a problem for me (Ya I ended up with the SKB and am happy with that desicion)

So far I have only disabled the ejectors and smoothed things up, it runs so good I am stopping there because I love hunting pheasants with it, since then I obtained another so I suppose I could have one cut and smithed.

I am guessing a BSS shooter will speak up to offer more comparison.

Don't think you could go wrong with either.

Doc

Anyone ever use a CZ s x s? It has not been touched and I dont know how a slicked one feel but it is so much slicked than the stoger I have. but the stoger is a 20ga and the CZ is a 16ga Guess I will use the rossi open hammered sunday.

We have a 150 SKB done by Shotgunner thats as sweet as they get. We have a 200 SKB done by Dirt and its very nice. I picked up one a while back that Johnny Meddows is gonna work on. So I figure we'll have the SKBs cornerd. And that Browning BSS is pretty nice to. Theres many less expense that work real well. But if you can afford one the BSS Browning or the SKBs sure shoot nice!! NBC

Anyone ever use a CZ s x s? It has not been touched and I dont know how a slicked one feel but it is so much slicked than the stoger I have. but the stoger is a 20ga and the CZ is a 16ga Guess I will use the rossi open hammered sunday.

I have a CZ (12 Ga) that was imported by Armsco. It is actually a Huglu (Turkish)....

I stole it, it is my go to shotgun, gets used every month just about.

Stiff as a board outta the box, took a while ta get it loosened up.

Beautiful case coloring and engraving, paid $450 for it,

I'm happy

JJJ-D

I just don't know. But, I've been using the same IGA/Stoeger since 1985. While my shootin' has slowed down, and less frequent than previously... anyone been using another brand as long... oh yeah, one that hasn't ever been to a gunsmith?

It would surprise me if a '97 would have lasted along... nor many BSS's or SKBs. Maybe a Stevens. My Stoeger might break the very next time I use it... but that would truly surprise me. :wub:

fastest shotgun for sass period- stop using a double and shoot a 97'

You've got to get out more bro. there's only two guys that run a 97' in the world that I feel like I can't stay up with using my SxS, and yes I've seen em all in action. oh and by the way. best double for the game? Browning BSS, coil sprung and mechanical trigger.

Deuce knows doubles...

I'll stick to the solidframe 97's. A double can be faster or slower, all depends on the target setup and the shooter...

I have been shooting the same 97 since 2003, its sure has been taking a beating, but i know a good smith that keeps putting it back together each time i break it.

3GC

I have a fairly new single trigger Stoeger Supreme Coach gun that I slicked up myself. Honed and polished the chambers. Lightened the top lever spring. Removed the auto safety feature. Installed Long Hunters hardened firing pins. Smoothed the action to include the extractor. Works smooth as glass, and the spent shells simply fall out when you open the action. Can't imagine anything working better.

Yes, there are higher quality guns out there, but for reliability, and the money, I don't think the Stoeger can be beat.

Mj : I just can not get away from the a/c business this year. It's Nuts out here , 100 degrees today & 10s of thousads of hail damaged ac units. Will Miss going to Comin at Cha, it is A must attend Match. The only complaint I have is that People where always asking me if I was having a good Time, interrupting MY GOOD ( GREAT)Time. Just kidding. Hope to be there next Year.

Hells Comin

The best double is the one you own....

The one that feels it belongs in your hand.

The one that the warm wood makes you feel like sitting around a fire.

The one that brings back memories of good friends and loyal dogs.

That should be your favorite shotgun!

You've got to get out more bro. there's only two guys that run a 97' in the world that I feel like I can't stay up with using my SxS, and yes I've seen em all in action. oh and by the way. best double for the game? Browning BSS, coil sprung and mechanical trigger.

deuce, i aint heard form u in a coons age. how is the wife and kid? how ya shooting? and btw u know i get around, and i know doubles can be super fast i've seen them in many hands of many fast men, but i got to protect my 97 lol

It's the one you're happiest with and got the best deal on.

Right now I'm shooting a 35+ year old Boito I got for $180. I like it fine. Long tubes for balance and sighting, shucks hulls (smooth and ribbed) without a problem, and goes *bang* every time.

Can't ask for much else in a shotgun.

Yep, I have owned a number of them and still have my grand dad's 20 gauge. They tend to close up when you are trying to put the shells in 'em.

I had a a BSS and sold it. I have 2 SKBs and both have been to Brileys to have their magic done to them. The SKBs just feel svelte to me me while the BSS feels like you are latching on to a 2x4 at the forearm.

I am not fast, I just know what guns I like.

I love my SKB 100 but has anybody tried a winchester 24?

deuce, i aint heard form u in a coons age. how is the wife and kid? how ya shooting? and btw u know i get around, and i know doubles can be super fast i've seen them in many hands of many fast men, but i got to protect my 97 lol

Wife and son are great. Shot a whole bunch and had a great season.

No one has mentioned a Baikal. They to are no longer available new, but seem to be plentiful used. I recently purchased one that had been slicked up, cut to 20", had a recoil pad installed, and a leather wrap on the stock. The previous owner installed the recoil pad without trimming the stock, which made it fit me perfectly. When I shoulder it I'm looking at a perfect sight picture. I know it's not the best shotgun available, but it works for me and it's the one I have. They are also supposed to be built like a tank. I hope this part is true.

Parker.

Yep. But don't shorten the barrels or the Parker poleece will gitcha.:wub:

I use a 12 ga. Parker Trojan that my Dad bought new in 1921 and hunted with for the rest of his life. It still does a fine job in the field for me, and at the occasional CAS shoot I go to. Light loads, of course.

GIT

I think it's pretty much a toss-up between a Holland and Holland Royal and a Purdey.

Next, my 12-gauge Beretta GR2 with 30-inch barrels.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/481Beretta4.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/481Beretta_GR2.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/481Beretta2.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/View_3.jpg

Whats the best non hammered double for CAS. This should be fun.

My Stoeger lasted 6 years before it pooped out on me on the last stage of the Indiana state championship (lucky for me there was a fence in front of me that I used to crack it open for the final two shots).

Mj : I just can not get away from the a/c business this year. It's Nuts out here , 100 degrees today & 10s of thousads of hail damaged ac units. Will Miss going to Comin at Cha, it is A must attend Match. The only complaint I have is that People where always asking me if I was having a good Time, interrupting MY GOOD ( GREAT)Time. Just kidding. Hope to be there next Year.

Hells Comin

well sir hells comin' u will be greatly missed. i truly enjoy watching u shoot, it makes me hopeful that i could one day be that good at ur age.

glad to hear your a/c business is booming, that just means an earlier retirement so u cna make every shoot u want!!! haha

see you down the trail pard

Wife and son are great. Shot a whole bunch and had a great season.

awesome brother, great to hear. wish u were gonna be at comin at cha, i would love to have been doing my predictions for the match with u in the field, would have defeinately bumped some people down a spot. lol

BSS with barrels shortened to 22". Balance is great and opens quick. DINGO! I let you hold it in TN last week! I agree with Deuce: mecahnical trigger and coil spring. Be around long after I am gone and still working for some cowboy. :wub:

Archived