SASS Wire Forum

Discolored brass

vidette

Posted (edited)

Wet tumbling 90min with a cascade complete dishwasher tab on some once fired new brass and getting these smears on the brass. Any ideas?

IMG_8020.jpeg

Edited by PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L
language

Posted (edited)

These cases are obviously defective and will cause your bullets to miss there intended target.  You should send them to me for proper disposal LOL

or you could try a different cleaning solution, I use Brass Juice but most use Dawn.

Edited by Nickel City Dude
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

I've been wet tumbling for years. I always use a little Strat-O-Sheen powder (see the link below) in my washing solution, and for the last few years, no SS pins.  My detergent is a little bit of Dawn and I do add a little bit of Lemme Shine.  I tumble for at least 2 hours.

Strat-O-Sheen Powder Burnishing Compound - RioGrande

Edited by TN Mongo, SASS #61450
  • Like 3

Maybe the dishwasher tab had some strong chemicals in it that reacted with the brass. I don’t know of anyone that has used them, so don’t know if that could be it or not. Might be a reason that no one else uses them?

Sam Sackett 

• Like 2

Make sure that you rinse the cases with clean water.  Once they have been thoroughly rinsed, lay them out to air dry. I lay mine on a raised wire mesh that is covered with a towel. Final step - with the brass laid out on the towel, roll them back and forth. This gets the water droplets off the cases.

That's how I do it. Usually come out pretty good. 

BS

• Like 1

I use a little Cascade powder and haven’t had any weird staining like that. I also use the pins and if the brass is tarnished a squirt all lime away gets added.

I use dawn dish soap and lemishine. I don't use the stainless pins anymore in tumbling, I just let it go for 2-3 hours and they are generally clean enough.

After I have my brass clean, if I want them bright and shiny, I throw them in a walnut vibrating tumbler with Metal Polish, I generally allow them to polish for at least 8 hours (I throw them in before I go to work, when I get home they are like new).

It really doesn't matter how they look on the outside, so long as they are clean.

30 minutes ago, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

The discoloration looks too regular and on one side to be random. What were they laying on?

Imis

Yep, I agree with this.  Whatever they were set on to dry reacted with the cleaner you used and didn't get rinsed well enough.

Posted (edited)

Forgot to mention these were heat dried using a Frankford Arsenal dryer. Perhaps there was cleaning chemical left over on the surface when drying and caused discoloration (I do thoroughly rinse the brass after tumbling). As far as the stain pattern being repeated, it might be that these three pieces were laying on their side the same way when drying. All pieces are discolorized to some degree , in different shapes and patterns. 

Edited by vidette

10 minutes ago, Griff said:

Yep, I agree with this.  Whatever they were set on to dry reacted with the cleaner you used and didn't get rinsed well enough.

This.

When a batch of brass has finished tumbling I use the Lyman hand cracked squirrel cage to separate the brass from pins and rinse with clean water. Then dump them out on a couple layers of paper towels covering small table. They are dry the next morning.  

• Like 1

That type of Cascade has a transitional metal catalyst as an ingredient. That may have reacted with the brass.

Armor All Wash and Wax cleans well and the wax seems to add a little lube to the cases. Works for me (without pins).

• Like 3

5 hours ago, vidette said:

Forgot to mention these were heat dried using a Frankford Arsenal dryer. Perhaps there was cleaning chemical left over on the surface when drying and caused discoloration (I do thoroughly rinse the brass after tumbling). As far as the stain pattern being repeated, it might be that these three pieces were laying on their side the same way when drying. All pieces are discolorized to some degree , in different shapes and patterns. 

Rinse the cases twice, coming out of the tumbler. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

Vidette, the TN State match is two weeks, you coming?

Imis

Wouldn't miss it

ive never found the stains a problem - i get a lot of brass back thats not mine at shoots ...BP guys brass , they stain , i clean and reload then shoot again , i dont need my rounds to be all shiny and bright , i get a bit of blowby with my smokeless so i get a bit of that too ,