SASS Wire Forum

Why aren't pump action rifles more popular?

2 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

I grew up on "Westerns" also. The "Western" that had the most impact on me was a movie that my Dad took me to see on one of his returns from Vietnam...The Wild Bunch. Up until that time, I was sure that the "old" west was like Rawhide, Wagon Train, Bonanza, The Big Valley and some others. The Wild Bunch movie sure wasn't Bonanza suffice to say.

I've never used a pump action rifle in a match, I've actually only shot one a couple of times. The first time I shot one, a cowboy named Deadeye Dallas asked me to shoot one so he could video it. I'd heard about them, they sounded like a cool gun, so I tried it. I like it, a lot. Never had the inclination to buy one though. There's a video of it somewhere on YouTube.

I've only seen a couple of them run decently. Deadeye Dallas and Pistol Packin Peanut had some that would run good, seen videos of others that ran good. Just don't seem as reliable or as easy to keep on target as a lever gun though.

Yeah, Deadeye Dallas was the guy who figured out all the stuff that needed to be reworked to make the Taurus function well.  It was quite a list.  Obviously Lassiter can do it since he won some big matches with a Thunderbolt.

To Doc Roy L. Pain's comment on "expensive" the higher cost of Lightnings relates to economy of scale (lower production, ROI), and a more complicated action than, for example, a '73.

To Abilene's and Cypress Sun's comment on "in western movies" I actually did see a Lightning in a western and can't remember the name of the flick, but always thought well of the armorer on the set who thought to include one. I think I mentioned it several years back on this site - I will snoop for it.

And I totally agree on Griff's comment on Taurus. The Taurus Thunderbolt is one of the poorest examples of tooling and gun manufacturing I've ever seen. Compared to either a Uberti or Pedersoli, the Taurus is absolutely no comparison, as proven by how poorly they run without a ton of mods.

RR
  • Like 1

In my humble opinion, the Taurus Thunderbolt looks more like the original Colt Lightning than any of the others and I’m very fond of my Pedersoli Lightnings. Pedersoli craftsmanship is exceptional and Taurus Thunderbolt craftsmanship is bottom of the barrel. I had an opportunity to buy a Taurus Thunderbolt last year and after talking to Lassiter at EOT and finding out what it would cost to make it run, I decided against it. Right now I’ve got a Pedersoli Lightning with him that will be chambered in 38-40 and have the slam fire mod, can’t wait to add that one to the stable.

Wife and I have 4 lightning clones. 3 AWA and 1 Pedersoli. All have had Lassiter’s work done to them and they run well. Also I have Roger Rapid’s downloads on assembly and disassembly along with some of his helpful hints on making them run smoother which I could never thank him enough for. The guns were a challenge at first to take apart and maintain, but after running them for a couple years, I don’t give it a second thought anymore. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, doc roy l. pain said:

Wife and I have 4 lightning clones. 3 AWA and 1 Pedersoli. All have had Lassiter’s work done to them and they run well. Also I have Roger Rapid’s downloads on assembly and disassembly along with some of his helpful hints on making them run smoother which I could never thank him enough for. The guns were a challenge at first to take apart and maintain, but after running them for a couple years, I don’t give it a second thought anymore. 

Once you take them apart a couple of times it all makes sense and it’s more enjoyable than a chore. 

My main match rifle is a USFA Lighting in .44-40.  I found that the action had to be worked like you were mad at it.  In the last 10-15 years I don't have any problems as long as I get mad!  The USFA was the best out of the box of all the ones made.  Pedersoli's can be made to "run like a scalded dog", just have Lassiter tune it!

32 minutes ago, Cpt Dan Blodgett, SASS #75655 said:

When was the last time you saw John Wayne using one? Nuff Sed

When was the last time you saw him using a '73?  :D

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

When was the last time you saw him using a '73?  :D

Didn't he use one in the Alamo, or was that a '92?:P

• Haha 1

My reason for never owning one and it may sound silly, but to me they're just not "cowboy" enough! Just MHO

I did not like a pump because you lose your sight plain working the pump (cocking) where with a lever you can keep your sight plain with no adjustment while cocking the rifle.

That was my experience

Butch.

1 hour ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

The only Western I can recall, off the top of my head, that had a Lightning in it, was an episode of The Rifleman.  One was hanging in the window of gunsmith's shop.

Many merchants in the "Old West" often put their tomato plants in the window so they could get more sun.

Reminded them to water them more often also.

• Haha 1

Regarding Lightnings not being acceptable becuase they didn’t find their way to Westen movies, I guess we can now start shooting the Mauser C96 machine pistol since its debut in Clint Eastwood’s Joe Kidd. And it’s SASS legal since it was first made in 1896. Wild Bunch only, of course.

Just sayin’
Roger Rapid

Joe Kid Mauser.jpg

• Like 1

A C96 with shoulder stock could be used as a rifle in WB!

26 minutes ago, DeaconKC said:

A C96 with shoulder stock could be used as a rifle in WB!

Since they did away with the caliber and power factor requirements for rifles, I think this should absolutely be allowed! :)

• Like 1

On 5/9/2024 at 8:48 AM, Rye Miles #13621 said:

My reason for never owning one and it may sound silly, but to me they're just not "cowboy" enough! Just MHO

This, they don't fit in what I grew up watching and cheering for the hero...they just don't look cowboy, they look like you are trying to win a stuffed bear at the carnival..

• Haha 1

Getting back to the original question, I am more and more convinced that it all comes down to a matter of preference.

It has been demonstrated that you can win with the 73, 66, Marlin, 92 and the Lightning.   It's just that only a few pards want to give the pump gun a try.  They prefer something else.

• Like 2