SASS Wire Forum

Interesting Collection of Historical Photos - Pick a Favorite.

This is an interesting collection of photos from years past. It’s hard to pick a favorite, but the photo of people riding the Broughton Lumber Flume sure looks like a lot of fun. :D

I found them all here: https://acidcow.com/pics/160462-interesting-historical-photos-22-pics.html

"Engineer Karen Leadlay Working On The Analog Computers In The Space Division Of General Dynamics, 1964"

Interesting Historical Photos (22 pics)

"E. Lilian Todd, Self-Taught Inventor Considered To Be The First Woman In The World To Design And Build Her Own Aircraft, 1909"

"Julia Child Makes Spaghetti With Mr. Rogers, 1974"

"The Rocket Express, A Monorail That Carried Kids Around The Toy Department 8th Floor At The John Wanamaker Department Store In Center City, Philadelphia, 1950s"

"Children Cross A River Using Pulleys On Their Way To School In The Outskirts Of Modena, Italy, 1959, Technically Uphill Both Ways"

"Sent The Crumb-Snatcher To Gramma's! A Postman With A Baby In His Mailbag When It Was Possible And Legal To Send Children Through The U.S. Postal Service, 1913"

"Riding The Broughton Lumber Flume, Hood River Junction On The Columbia River At The Washington/Oregon Border"

"Hollywood Boys Choir, 1973. From Top Left Kent Mccord, Martin Milner, Charles Nelson Reilly, Ed Asner, Glenn Ford, Red Foxx, Jack Carter, Ernest Borgnine, John Wayne And Howard Cosell"

"5 Megabyte Hard Drive Being Shipped Out, Ibm, 1956"

"A 1932 American Bantam That Was Used For Ferry Service Over The Pudding River In Oregon"

"Roland, A 4,000 Pound Elephant Seal, Getting A Snow Bath From His Handler At The Berlin Zoo, 1930s"

"Ming The Panda Photographing Bert Hardy’s Son, Mike, At London Zoo, December 1938"

"1915 Eruption Of Mt Lassen As Seen From Red Bluff, California"

"50,000 Book Kerfuffle, Lorain Public Library, Lorain, Ohio, 1971"

"Women Assembling The Beatles' ''rubber Soul'' Album At The Hayes Vinyl Factory, 1965"

"What Will They Think Of Next? Bell Telephone’s Picturephone, 1964"

"Empire State Building Window Washer, 1936"

"USS Los Angeles Airship Lands On The USS Saratoga, January 1928"

"Properly Equipped Bike, Check. All The Neighborhood Girls To Show Off To, Check. Close Adult Supervision, Check. Knowing Life Doesn't Get Any Better Than This, Priceless"

"Farm Boy At Pop Stand, General Store In Lamoille, Iowa, Arthur Rothstein, 1939"

"Building Empire State Building, 1930, The Entire Building Went Up In Just Over A Year, Under Budget (At $40 Million) And Well Ahead Of Schedule"
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 12

Mailing a baby, that's different! Kids zip lining to school is cool. The flume would be a grin! I like them all actually!:P

Edited by Eyesa Horg
  • Like 4

kerfuffle

commotion, controversy

A kerfuffle is some kind of commotion, controversy, or fuss. If you read about a scandal in a newspaper, it could be described as a kerfuffle. Kerfuffle is a humorous-sounding word for a mostly non-humorous situation: some kind of disturbance, scandal or mess. However, a kerfuffle usually isn't 100% serious.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well…Look at the big brain on Brad, I mean, Marshal. :lol:

I just copied and pasted. I didn’t name the happenings, but you are right. :)

• Haha 1

The boy on the bicycle - the girls seem to be all agog at the boy on the bicycle, but I think the one risking his life would be one of them three or four on the ground that he's jumping over.

I've read that that one of the airship landing on the aircraft carrier is faked. The old-fashioned Photoshop, where you did it in the dark room instead of on the computer.

• Like 2

I like them all!!, Thanks!

Favorites are....

#3 - A boy and his dog, how can you not like it?

#7 - Mail a kid...no returns!

#20 - Jumping the kids. I've seen a close up of that pic, the expressions on the girls faces and hand gestures are priceless.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

The boy on the bicycle - the girls seem to be all agog at the boy on the bicycle, but I think the one risking his life would be one of them three or four on the ground that he's jumping over.

I've read that that one of the airship landing on the aircraft carrier is faked. The old-fashioned Photoshop, where you did it in the dark room instead of on the computer.

When I was a kid, me, my brother and a couple friends did the same things on our bikes. We built a great ramp using my Dad’s plywood and 2x4s (Strike 1) We started off jumping for height and distance. My brother Jeff took that day’s record in that stunt. 
My Dad came outside and was watching us.  
I jumped over 5 kids and my Dad put a stop to those antics. 
All of a sudden he says “Where did you boys get the wood for this?”

”In the basement”

”(litany of colorful expletives)” :lol:

A short time later a car was coming down the street. We moved the ramp. After the car passed we decided to leave ramp where it was…about 20’ behind my Dad’s station wagon. 
“Well just jump at an angle so we don’t hit the car.” Famous last words.

My brother Jeff came barreling down the street, hit the ramp too straight and BLAM! Right into my Dad’s car. Luckily he was really hurt…until we were marched inside by my Dad and we each got 3 cracks for using the wood and crashing into the car. :D

As for the zeppelin/carrier photo belong fake? I did a search and couldn’t find any site making that claim. I did find plenty of info that this event was the first and last time a dirigible landed on a ship. 

All are great captured moments of Americana.  Some of significance, some of daily life of no real significance other than to show a bit of simple enjoyment.  

I like them all.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

All are great captured moments of Americana.  Some of significance, some of daily life of no real significance other than to show a bit of simple enjoyment.  

Most of which would get the authorities called in today' world. For me, #20 is my favorite. Friends and I did similar things in our time. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Pat Riot said:

As for the zeppelin/carrier photo belong fake? I did a search and couldn’t find any site making that claim. I did find plenty of info that this event was the first and last time a dirigible landed on a ship. 

The photo is a fun fake. This video shows how it was done. There’s no way they could have manhandled the zeppelin into that position without tearing it up on the island. Note the amount of commotion just to get the gondola on the afterdeck. Pretty amazing feat for the day!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

They’re all great! Thanks B)

• Like 1

I thought they were all pretty good, but the IBM hard drive was my favorite. Just imagine we went from that, to computers in a wristwatch in my lifetime.:huh:

• Like 1

#5 having grown up about 2hrs outside Philly. My older cousins all had the experience of riding the JW sky train. By the time I was old enough, it was gone.

• Sad 1