SASS Wire Forum

New .22 round

9 hours ago, Lawdog Dago Dom said:

Thanks for the link.
Here is the video in that link for those who like to watch.

And another video I found.

Edited by Father Kit Cool Gun Garth
OTTO correction
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I read about this last month, I think. 
It sounds interesting. 
For someone that has health issues or has hand, wrist, arm issues this might be something to consider. 

Well while the 22 L.R. isn’t my first choice for self- defense my wife brought a Ruger SR22 several years ago. That little gun is a lot of fun to shoot. Since ammunition is so inexpensive it is affordable to practice with even for those on a fixed budget.

• Like 2

I don't see anything new here.   

A Stinger with 40% less FPS?  Is that what "optimized for 2-4" barrels is supposed to mean?

https://www.cci-ammunition.com/rimfire/cci/stinger/6-50.html

https://www.cci-ammunition.com/rimfire/cci/velocitor_hp/6-47.html

13 minutes ago, Stump Water said:

I don't see anything new here.   

A Stinger with 40% less FPS?  Is that what "optimized for 2-4" barrels is supposed to mean?

https://www.cci-ammunition.com/rimfire/cci/stinger/6-50.html

https://www.cci-ammunition.com/rimfire/cci/velocitor_hp/6-47.html

No.  The Uppercut and Stinger have similar velocity from a 2" barrel.  The Uppercut was designed for reliable expansion and it works.  

Stinger on the left, Uppercut in the middle.

Screenshot_20240325-140326_DuckDuckGo.jpg

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Trigger Mike said:

Guess I’ll sell my 9mm Glock and carry a Glock 44 in 22lr instead from now on.  I can then use it for “squirrels and such” if nothing else

Before you do that is your Glock a G19? If you shoot it well that might work out okay. I just sold a G44. They’re the same size as a G19 and the hump just throws my aim off. I shoot my standard sized Glocks just fine. 
See if you can shoot a G44 before buying. They’re not tack drivers in my hands. I’d have better effect throwing the .22 round at someone. 

I like my Glocks, but I grew to despise that G44. 
It’s gone now, bye-bye! ;)

Might have to try it in the S&W M&P 22C I bought my wife and it is still sitting in the safe (NIB). Might work out for her even though she doesn't like shooting.

Image of M&P®22 COMPACT

TM 

Edited by Texas Maverick
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Pat Riot said:

I read about this last month, I think. 
It sounds interesting. 
For someone that has health issues or has hand, wrist, arm issues this might be something to consider. 

I looked at the videos, and while it "might" be a better .22, I think that a .380 would be better. Girsan is making a slightly modernized version of the Baretta 84. The tip up barrel would be a real asset to somebody without the strength to rack a slide.

MC14-T-Front-New-Grip.png

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Trigger Mike said:

I like my g44 thought I like my beretta with a 22 conversion on it better.  I was just being facetious some.  

I understand. 

I really tried to like my G44. It just didn’t work for me. 

I've shot 3 - G44's. None of the were accurate in the least, even at 10yds. I'm a pretty good shot but I thought it might be me so I bench rested the last one...wasn't me. I've warned people to try before they buy but no one took the advice and all but one have since sold them. No way I'd ever buy one.

As far as the .22 as a self defense gun, I don't know of any one that wants a 1/4" hole in them and the new round looks promising. I'm glad that ammo makers keep trying to improve ammo instead of just resting on their reputation.

• Like 4

So a .22 @950fps that expands to .33ish cal.

.22 kill a lot of people every year. Later. They have limited stopping power.

They'll have their place especially for mouse gun folks.

8 hours ago, sassnetguy50 said:

No.  The Uppercut and Stinger have similar velocity from a 2" barrel.  The Uppercut was designed for reliable expansion and it works.  

ok

8 hours ago, sassnetguy50 said:

I'll keep that in mind, if I ever feel the urge to kill a block of clay.

9 hours ago, sassnetguy50 said:

The ballistic gel test was underwhelming at best. I'm not saying that I wouldn't use it if it was all I had, but I'd like something bigger.

I can imagine a time when I may need to resort to a .22 pistol for SD. 

It always fascinates me when the subject of .22’s for SD shows up how many men get all offended by the subject. 
There’s a line from a show that I cannot remember the name of right now that made me laugh to myself, but was very poignant. 
A main character was dying. His friend says “You shouldn’t die alone.”

The main character responded “We all die alone.”

If someone wants to use a .22 pistol for self defense then so be it. 

@Cypress Sun I agree with your accuracy assessment of the Glock 44. My accuracy with it was pizz poor. I was reviewing my old targets and in a moment of aggravation I wrote a note on a target that had 5 bullseyes and a lovely shotgun pattern of .22 holes all around the bullseye area. My note was “(blank) this gun!”

Interestingly enough, about a month after making that note on that target my G44 went back to Glock as it was sorely unreliable. 
The gun was returned looking brand new. The repair order said “Slide plate replaced” and test fired. 
The accompanying 2 targets showed 5 holes in a 1-1 1/2” group with a note saying “Tested at 10 yards”. Bull S***!
Anyway, it’s gone now, it helped me acquire my Henry X-model. 
I did just spend 15 minutes looking for those targets. I misplaced them in my zeal to get rid of the gun, along with some others I never shot any more. I may have left them in the G44 case. 

• Thanks 1

If you want accuracy in 22 rimfire, be prepared to try a lot of different ammo.  Have a friend that shoots precision 22 rimfire competitions. The X is about .1" in diameter.

Rifles cost thousands of dollars and the top shooters regularly shoot perfect scores.

To achieve that level of accuracy, a shooter may have to try a lot of different ammo before they find one their rifle likes. Then they have to buy as much of that particular lot # as they can find. Yes lot #s mean a lot.  

Point is, 22 rimfire rifles and pistols can be very picky about which ammo they'll shoot well.  If your particular gun does not shoot accurately, try a different load.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

If you want accuracy in 22 rimfire, be prepared to try a lot of different ammo.  Have a friend that shoots precision 22 rimfire competitions. The X is about .1" in diameter.

Rifles cost thousands of dollars and the top shooters regularly shoot perfect scores.

To achieve that level of accuracy, a shooter may have to try a lot of different ammo before they find one their rifle likes. Then they have to buy as much of that particular lot # as they can find. Yes lot #s mean a lot.  

Point is, 22 rimfire rifles and pistols can be very picky about which ammo they'll shoot well.  If your particular gun does not shoot accurately, try a different load.

Regarding my G44, I literally tried over 25 different cartridges in different weights, configurations and velocities. The number might be 30. The most accurate was Federal Automatch. 4” groups at 10 yards. The gun sucked in my hands. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

At 30" away, ammo isn't going to matter that much. I could throw the .22 ammo more accurately than all three of the G44's I tried. Pat Riot had the description of the shot targets just as they were for me also. They looked more like a shotgun target at 50' to 60' with 00 buck. IMO, a piss poor excuse for a Glock manufactured pistol.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pat Riot said:

Regarding my G44, I literally tried over 25 different cartridges in different weights, configurations and velocities. The number might be 30. The most accurate was Federal Automatch. 4” groups at 10 yards. The gun sucked in my hands. 

1 hour ago, Cypress Sun said:

At 30" away, ammo isn't going to matter that much. I could throw the .22 ammo more accurately than all three of the G44's I tried. Pat Riot had the description of the shot targets just as they were for me also. They looked more like a shotgun target at 50' to 60' with 00 buck. IMO, a piss poor excuse for a Glock manufactured pistol.

Nothing will overcome poor manufacturing.

• Thanks 1

DISREGARD. I just got an email regarding 500 rounds of Remington Thunderbolt .22 for $17.00 a brick, limit ONE

https://proarmory.com/products/remington-thunderbolt-22lr-40-grain-lead-round-500-rounds.html

I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT SHIPPING IS..Don’t shoot the piano player. :D

NEVER MIND. $10 for “shipping insurance plus shipping. Screw that noise. 

Edited by Pat Riot

2 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

Back to the ammo...the .22 pistol and rifle would be high on my list of bug out guns. :ph34r:

I have considered this as well. 

I used to laugh at that old saying ounces weigh pounds after a long day on the trail. 
I don’t laugh about that any longer. 

My biggest difficulty is finding a reliable.22 pistol that’s easily pack able and concealable. My G44 was supposed to be my answer to that. 

6 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

Back to the ammo...the .22 pistol and rifle would be high on my list of bug out guns. :ph34r:

I know quite a few who have those weapons in mind.

I've been looking at the Sig Sauer P322. 20 shot capacity.

Anybody have first hand experience with the Sig?

• Like 1

Oops…forgot to add, so far, the most reliable and accurate ammo I have been using is CCI Mini Mag. It’s also more available around here. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Pat Riot said:

My biggest difficulty is finding a reliable.22 pistol that’s easily pack able and concealable. 

I'm going to go against the grain here and say that a .22 revolver can solve all these problems. While the round discussed here specifically was NOT designed for a revolver, plenty of other ammo will work just fine.

This is my Taurus 94. 9 shot DA, 4" with adjustable sights. Since it is the same frame as their 85 series revolvers in .38, it wears the same grips as my 85s, but normally came with a larger wood grip. More modern versions come with a rubber grip. 

034-Copy.thumb.JPG.7fedb139440751779b21297e2394f3fe.JPG

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

I'm going to go against the grain here and say that a .22 revolver can solve all these problems. While the round discussed here specifically was NOT designed for a revolver, plenty of other ammo will work just fine.

This is my Taurus 94. 9 shot DA, 4" with adjustable sights. Since it is the same frame as their 85 series revolvers in .38, it wears the same grips as my 85s, but normally came with a larger wood grip. More modern versions come with a rubber grip. 

034-Copy.thumb.JPG.7fedb139440751779b21297e2394f3fe.JPG

:lol: Right after I posted that I thought “Maybe I should just quit messing with semiautomatic pistols and stick with my revolvers”. :lol:

I have a model 63 and a 17-3. 
image.thumb.jpeg.bf5ae46ea645f2df25b62f6e8df44c64.jpeg

I have heard good things about Taurus TX22 semiautos, though. 

2 hours ago, Pat Riot said:

I have considered this as well. 

I used to laugh at that old saying ounces weigh pounds after a long day on the trail. 
I don’t laugh about that any longer. 

My biggest difficulty is finding a reliable.22 pistol that’s easily pack able and concealable. My G44 was supposed to be my answer to that. 

Have you looked at the SR22?  Smaller dimensions while still easy to handle, 3oz heavier.

https://www.handgunhero.com/compare/ruger-sr22-vs-glock-g44

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, sassnetguy50 said:

Have you looked at the SR22?  Smaller dimensions while still easy to handle, 3oz heavier.

https://www.handgunhero.com/compare/ruger-sr22-vs-glock-g44

I have not. I like the looks of it on HandgunHero and it has an exposed hammer so a second strike is there if needed. Thank you. 

• Like 2