SASS Wire Forum

Single Six .32 H&R mag skips

A local cowgirl friend asked me to take a look at her Ruger Single Six pistol.  It frequently skips past one (always the same one)  index recess on the cylinder, leaving the gun out of battery for the following round.   

I microscopically inspected and measured the cylinder recess dimensions and spacing, sprocket spacing,  and hand/pawl (lower spur) engagement length and angle/fit.  I found no differences between the cylinder recesses and no differences or wear on the pawl or sprocket.  

When I swapped in another cylinder from her other pistol, the gun ran fine, and the problem transfered with the cylinder to her other gun.

So, I chucked the problem  cylinder both,  between centers, then  from the external circumference  in a precision second operation lathe and measured the runout of the hole and the outside cylinder circumference, at both ends and over the index recesses.  Runout was 0.037" at the sprocket end, 0.041 at the recesses, and 0.044" at the front hub. That seemed excessive.  (By comparison, the other good cylinder runout was 0.011", 0.014", and 0.018", respectively. )

I have been unable to find replacement cylinders for the old Single Six revolvers.  So unless somebody out there sees other options, I see only two possible remedial paths.

1) Take a spare bolt and TIG Weld on a longer upper tang, machined  0.040" longer than the original, hoping the longer locking tab will engage the recess on all 6 cylinder stations,

or 

2)  LN2-Freeze, then Press a tightly fitted pin into the center cylinder bore, then re-bore to spec. a new (round, rather than oval cross section bearing hole).  

The first jeopardizes only the cheaply replaceable bolt, while the re-boring option necessitates precision lathe work, and  matching of the cylinder and pin alloy hardness to assure concentricity of the new boring.  I am less than confident about attempting that work myself.  Done professionally, the cost could easily approach or exceed the gun's value. 

Does anybody else see another option?  I have already replaced the worn base pin.  End play on the cylinder is within spec. at <0.005"

All of this points up the importance of thoroughly and frequently cleaning the base pin and the center bore, and properly lubricating both.  The center bore is only about 1 -2 mm away from the firing chamber, so the carbon and cellulose  crud that you see on the front hub is also blown into the front of the center bore.  Frequent careful cleaning is a cheap, easy alternative to some expensive gunsmiting work. 

I will appreciate any thoughts or options anyone may have to offer. 

Thank you in advance.

DDD

Edited by Dusty Devil Dale

Depending on the size needed to correct the runout, another option would be to rebore the hole and install an oversized base pin.  Of course the holes in the frame will need to be enlarged as well.

A man has to recognize  his limitations. 

I suspect that level of gunsmithing is far above my pay grade.  It might make the gun work, but I don't have the tooling or holding jigs to avoid really messing up the receiver.   

I NEVER alter a receiver.  

6 minutes ago, Null N. Void said:

Call Ruger.  They can help.

Somehow, I neglected that option.  The DIY in me always looks for what I can do first.  Sometimes, that carries a bit too far.  Thank you!

• Like 2

It's that loading gate detent, spring not the cylinder. I've repaired a couple. Always the same cylinder that skips. 

Edited by Assassin
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Assassin said:

It's that loading gate detent, spring not the cylinder. I've repaired a couple. Always the same cylinder that skips. 

Thank you. I will change the spring.  The gate snaps shut solidly, though, and the bolt comes up in proper time.

7 hours ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Thank you. I will change the spring.  The gate snaps shut solidly, though, and the bolt comes up in proper time.

7 hours ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

You need to get the new one and compare it to the existing spring. I thought it was strange myself until I could see the parts side by side. Then, it made sense. Good luck.

• Thanks 1

I always learn so much from posts like these. Thank you. 

Hugs!

Scarlett

• Like 1

Thanks guys this is what happened to my ruger two weeks ago in the FL state match. As Paul Harvey would say, Now we know the rest of the story!

Cheers

JB Sledge

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Update:

I tried something simple first.  The cylinder center bore was 0.041" out of round over the stop recesses, so about half of that should be the expected maximum increase in gap distance over the bolt catch as the cylinder rotates. 

I machined 0.024" off of the top of bolt's lower arm, below the cylinder catch process (where the bolt contacts the frame, stopping the bolt's rise toward the cylinder.)  That change did, in fact, allow the bolt catch to elevate by roughly the same amount.

Yesterday, I tested by running 100 rounds through the pistol without any skips or jambs.  

It was a band aid over a bigger cylinder bore roundness problem, but a cheap band aid by comparison with replacement or performing major cylinder surgery.

Edited by Dusty Devil Dale
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Ruger will do warranty work free no matter if you are not the original owner. Pull out all non-stock parts before sending it in or you won't get them back. They will return the gun after fixing and may only cost shipping and a bit of waiting time.

I had one pistol many years ago that over rotated. I sent it in and had it back within a couple of weeks. That gun is still running strong. It is certainly faster than I am at this point. :huh:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Go West said:

Ruger will do warranty work free no matter if you are not the original owner. Pull out all non-stock parts before sending it in or you won't get them back. They will return the gun after fixing and may only cost shipping and a bit of waiting time.

I had one pistol many years ago that over rotated. I sent it in and had it back within a couple of weeks. That gun is still running strong. It is certainly faster than I am at this point. :huh:

Good to know Ruger still backs their products.  This was not my own gun, and it has been short-stroked and had trigger work done in the past, so my flexibility was pretty limited.  But still good to know.

Thx.

On 3/22/2024 at 5:53 PM, Texas Red said:

Have couple cylinders for sale in classified.  

TR

This looks like the easy fix!

I had a similar issue about 1.5 years ago with a Ruger Birdshead .32 Mag.

Sent it to Ruger on a Friday; got it back the following Wednesday.  I accepted Ruger's offer for shipping for $60 for two-way Fedup and the repair was at no cost.

There is not a better company anywhere, in any industry.

On 3/22/2024 at 8:28 PM, Assassin said:

WOW! Wasn’t this your answer on a recent different thread? Crazy how a little part - spring and detent can impact something so much. 

Hugs!

Scarlett

• Like 1