SASS Wire Forum

Speed kills!

Had a tragic accident around the corner from out house yesterday. Thirteen year-old boy, almost across the main thoroughfare, was struck and killed by some !876543++! who ran a red light! Speed limit on the main parkway is 45mph, but, as a local news reporter who arrived on the scene, most cars are going a lot faster! Nothing will bring the kid back, nor really assuage the grief his family and friends (we do not know them), and no matter what they do to the +ur@, will put his/her/its mind at ease! But, they just had to beat that light! SLOW DOWN, DAMMIT! :(-_-

• Sad 11

33 minutes ago, Trailrider #896 said:

Had a tragic accident around the corner from out house yesterday. Thirteen year-old boy, almost across the main thoroughfare, was struck and killed by some !876543++! who ran a red light! Speed limit on the main parkway is 45mph, but, as a local news reporter who arrived on the scene, most cars are going a lot faster! Nothing will bring the kid back, nor really assuage the grief his family and friends (we do not know them), and no matter what they do to the +ur@, will put his/her/its mind at ease! But, they just had to beat that light! SLOW DOWN, DAMMIT! :(-_-

Sad story! People drive like crazy idiots!:angry:

• Like 2

truly a sad story , no excuse for overdriving , but there is a little reason to ask , why is a kid not looking both ways and yeilding to traffic that will kill him ? im not excusing the driver , i just think pedestrians today are not taught to use the same common sense we were given that resulted in us being here discussing this topic , 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, watab kid said:

truly a sad story , no excuse for overdriving , but there is a little reason to ask , why is a kid not looking both ways and yeilding to traffic that will kill him ? im not excusing the driver , i just think pedestrians today are not taught to use the same common sense we were given that resulted in us being here discussing this topic , 

It is the heads down generation, eyes on phone, not surroundings.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I always check  at a light when it turns green for me. I look left and right before I take off. My dad instilled that in me a long time ago.

• Like 1

I don't begin to excuse the "runner."  However, we live in a very small town that boasts a University.  The students seem hell bent on just stepping off into traffic without a glance.  Same Same in Pittsburgh around Pitt.  University students seem to be universally ignorant.  Step in front of vehicles whether a cross walk or not.

PLUS ONE for Marshal Mo you betcha

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

I don't begin to excuse the "runner."  However, we live in a very small town that boasts a University.  The students seem hell bent on just stepping off into traffic without a glance.  Same Same in Pittsburgh around Pitt.  University students seem to be universally ignorant.  Step in front of vehicles whether a cross walk or not.

PLUS ONE for Marshal Mo you betcha

Same,same on the Dartmouth campus! You drive 10 mph twisting your head like an owl. The entitled brats just pop out from between parked cars looking at nothing but their phones. Crosswalks and crossing signals are meaninglessness! If you nearly clip one, they look at you like you're the ahole.

7 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Yep. Five years ago here in the Valley, we had a University student step right in front of a University bus. Head down, hood up, phone on........

We had one fool win her Darwin Award near my place a couple of years ago:

She was first in the line at a STOP light where it controlled the crossing at an 80KPH (50 MPH), looking down at her I-Phone.

We surmise her foot wasn't fully on the brake, the car crept forward, just fast enough to have a meeting engagement with a dump truck proceeding on the GREEN light he had.

Truck was empty and trying to slow down, when it hit the passenger side of the car but it still messed her up pretty badly.

20 hours ago, Trailrider #896 said:

So sorry to hear this. College town, lots of young drivers who think nothing of highway speed to cut a minute or two off “their” short cut. We are waiting for such an event on our street someday. 35 mph limit, no sidewalks road surfaces very similar to the best roller coaster you’ve ever seen (with potholes of course), designated bicycle route. Traffic at times is a constant flow (on a back street!) enough heavy trucks to shake the house when they hit low spots. Top it all off with ZERO targeted enforcement and when they do bring out the mobile (unmanned) radar you will see speeds into the 60’s. Road is so uneven stuff falls off into my frontage constantly, have to haul off tires, trash, bicycles, rakes and shovels, even a snow machine once. Questioning our planning commission when we could expect repairs, was told it was in the 10 year plan, but I have lived here nearly 25 years and nothing but crickets. Either this summer or next a well connected gravel company will begin operation to add to the fun of our rural lifestyle. Makes you wonder why you bother to pay taxes for roads when you feel you don’t really matter. Seems even the county gravel roads are typically smoother and better patrolled!

PO’ed as heck

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

• Sad 1

Wednesday going out, light ahead turned yellow, I slowed down and stopped, guy in the other lane, who was about 2 lengths behind  me in a high pickup gunned it.  Maybe,  if you were generous, you might say that about an inch of his bumper "broke the plane" and was in the intersection when the light went to red.  I  ended up right behind him in the left turn lane at the next light. I don't understand it.

• Like 2

Here in the NE at least it seems to be normal that when the EW light turns red there is a two second delay before the NS light turns green, and drivers take advantage of that, sometimes with disastrous result.

In Europe and Russia, I observed no such delay. In fact about half a second before the light turns green, drivers are given a warning signal that the light will change, I recall it as being a .05 second flash of green. Anybody pushing his luck on the red light is likely to get t-boned.

I can’t say that this happens everywhere but it does in some countries.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Here in the NE at least it seems to be normal that when the EW light turns red there is a two second delay before the NS light turns green,

We have something similar here in Sonoma County, I think 3 to 5 seconds.

We now have a speeding State Trooper in critical condition as of this morning :(. Screaming to an accident, didn't bother to stop on his/her own upon arrival at the scene. Drove right into the fire truck parked on the interstate. Amazing what it did to the cruiser and the back of the fire truck. Damage is extensive and appears the cruiser was flying. Typical of the news, no other info yet, except the initial accident was a box truck in the median that already had cops and rescue on site. They don't need a good reason to speed, they just do. Who's gonna stop em, another speeding cop?!?. When I was on the road all the time, they'd fly by me going 70 fast enough to sway my vehicle and disappear up the highway only to set up radar a few miles ahead and bag all of us that he just blew by!! I was wise to the game and always slowed to 65 until I saw where he stopped. Don't even talk about a half hour before quiting time when 80 is the slow guys heading to the barracks. Hope he/her is ok though.

Red lights here, are only considered "guide lines."

Two days back, I had the green, but waited it out as I always do.
Some clod came speeding through the red light at full tilt, and would have driver-side t-boned me if I had gone when green.

My Navy daughter tells me on Guam, you have to wait 15 seconds for the red light runners to clear out, before you go on your green.

19 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

my thoughts as well , 

• Like 1